A Question For The Arahants

kris palau, modified 14 Years ago at 11/2/09 11:41 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 11/2/09 11:41 AM

A Question For The Arahants

I'm interested if you have any awareness during deep sleep.

Thanks
Kris
Trent , modified 14 Years ago at 11/2/09 3:48 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 11/2/09 3:47 PM

RE: A Question For The Arahants

Hi,

Dreams for Arhats are, by and large (with perhaps the exception of cycle specific phenomena), the same as dreams for any other person. Some dream, some do not. Some are "normally" aware (passive) during these dreams, and some find their dreams to be lucid. I would guess that most are a combination of all of these.

Dreams are part of the affective faculty of the human psyche. Since traditional insight practice does not mess much in this area (though I am guessing many--myself included-- accidentally "messed" a bit in this area), most of their sleep states will be as they always have been. That is, of course, unless other practices-- those that would work with the affective faculty-- are employed (and these are not necessarily mutually exclusive with arhatship).

Does that answer your question?

Trent
thumbnail
tarin greco, modified 14 Years ago at 11/2/09 5:34 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 11/2/09 5:34 PM

i'm occasionally aware of being asleep (either just kind of aware, seemingly without an object, or aware of my body laying there and breathing, etc) but for the most part no, i have no awareness during deep sleep.

a note that may be of interest: right after i got 2nd path, when my concentration was very heightened, i went about a week not dreaming and being aware throughout deep sleep. have had hits of it here and there but that was the only long and continuous period i can recall.

a question for you: why do you ask?

tarin
kris palau, modified 14 Years ago at 11/3/09 7:28 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 11/3/09 7:28 AM

Thanks guys, that answers my question.

Tarin, I asked as I wished to compare with teachings I've encountered within the Tibetan and Hindu traditions.

Kris
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 14 Years ago at 11/16/09 3:45 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 11/16/09 3:44 AM

Hey, sorry for the late reply.

I have been working too hard recently.

I don't have any awareness when in deepest sleep, but do have lucid dreams often, particularly if I make resolutions to have them, but that is nothing new, and occurred nearly as often pre-stream entry as it does now.

I have been reading The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep, by Tenzin Wangyal, and am really intrigued by his assertions regarding what is possible in sleep, but haven't put it into practice formally.

Other's thoughts?

Breadcrumb