Sense of space spaciousness while meditating

Cacatua, modified 2 Years ago at 6/18/21 3:14 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/18/21 3:14 AM

Sense of space spaciousness while meditating

Hello,

I would be grateful if some one can help me to identify where in the path I am.

It happens that when I sit down to meditate I go straight into the feeling of spaciousness: this takes literally seconds. This feeling of spaciousness is stable and stays oftentimes for the entire session.

In my case this sense of spaciousness is correlated with certain eye movement/pressure which somehow induces this sense of spaciousness. The movement pressure goes away after some seconds, to leave spaciousness stable.

Very often I notice that while experiencing this spaciousness I forget where I am. For instance, today I went to meditate next to a river. At some point a kid passed by, which I notice due to the sound of his/her laughter. But I noticed that I was not aware of where I was.

Some years a go it seems that I experienced stream entry. I can not say if I reached any further path. 

Thanks in advance,
​​​​​​​G.
Eudoxos , modified 2 Years ago at 6/18/21 7:21 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/18/21 7:21 AM

RE: Sense of space spaciousness while meditating

Hi Cacatua, perhaps others might have an accurate diagnosis. I'd say one point is too little to say anything of substance, just general poitners perhaps. You say this has been happening with some regularity. The mind can get stuck anywhere, it can be the habit of dissociation from sensory input and dull staring into the inner space (so to say), it can be a dissolution-like state of mind (incl. forgetting where you are). Make sure you continue noting in the state, noting the state itself and also reactions to it such as analyzing, curiosity, pleasure, disconnection, confusion, the need to know (also called doubt ;) )... whatever arises. If you do Mahasi-noting, keep coming back to the anchor. What is the need behind wanting to know where you are? Cheers!
thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 2 Years ago at 6/18/21 7:58 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/18/21 7:33 AM

Hi Cacatua,

From a PoI standpoint, check Daniel Ingram's List of symptoms for ñana diagnosis.

Hey, you give little input for anyone to offer a proper diagnosis. For better assesment, check Shargrol's guideline on How to get the best advice in an online forum (just below the books recommendations). 

Welcome to DhO
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 2 Years ago at 6/19/21 12:55 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/19/21 12:54 PM

Cacatua
Hello,

I would be grateful if some one can help me to identify where in the path I am.

It happens that when I sit down to meditate I go straight into the feeling of spaciousness: this takes literally seconds. This feeling of spaciousness is stable and stays oftentimes for the entire session.

In my case this sense of spaciousness is correlated with certain eye movement/pressure which somehow induces this sense of spaciousness. The movement pressure goes away after some seconds, to leave spaciousness stable.

Very often I notice that while experiencing this spaciousness I forget where I am. For instance, today I went to meditate next to a river. At some point a kid passed by, which I notice due to the sound of his/her laughter. But I noticed that I was not aware of where I was.

Some years a go it seems that I experienced stream entry. I can not say if I reached any further path. 

Thanks in advance,
​​​​​​​G.

It sounds like you are in a good place. A stable fifth jhana is. Quite. Underrated.

Breadcrumb