The embarrassment of being wrong

A Dietrich Ringle, modified 2 Years ago at 6/18/21 12:09 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/18/21 12:09 PM

The embarrassment of being wrong

Sometimes I will keep things to myself, climbing the jhanic arc and reaching 4th jhana and the nexus that follows, only to be led to a different set of facts (usually the next day) later on. This is usually embarrassing at best. It can challenge the assumptions of what we believe the higher jhanas to be. Letting go is essential, as is the envitability of mental illness.

On the ​​​​​​Whole I agree with Daniel on the effectiveness of gaining stream entry. However, the deeper you go through life and the paths, the greater likelyhood you will encounter embarrassment. This is one of the reasons gaining stream entry is hard, due to the fact that most people lack the proper motivation and support system to climb the two hills of first path and embrace their own illness.

​​​​​​​Dietrich
thumbnail
Bardo, modified 2 Years ago at 6/19/21 1:34 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/19/21 1:34 AM

RE: The embarrassment of being wrong

"We must surrender our hopes and expectations, as well as our fears, and march directly into disappointment, work with disappointment, go into it, and make it our way of life, which is a very hard thing to do. Disappointment is a good sign of basic intelligence. It cannot be compared to anything else: it is so sharp, precise, obvious, and direct. If we can open, then we suddenly begin to see that our expectations are irrelevant compared with the reality of the situations we are facing."
​​​​​​​
Chogyam Trungpa
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 2 Years ago at 6/19/21 3:30 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/19/21 3:30 AM

To feel embarrassed it is my understanding those are the conditions:
1. You did something inappropriate
2. Someone knows you did something inappropriate

You get to jhanas so I assume it feels great and is generally skillful thing to do. Nothing to be embarrassed about so far.
Then after a while you are embarrassed so I guess that you feel you have done something inappropriate as is the requirement to feel embarrassed. What is this inappropriate thing and who knows you have done it?
shargrol, modified 2 Years ago at 6/19/21 5:43 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/19/21 5:42 AM

Yeah, the core thing we uncover with our own practice is our own core ignorance, but paradoxically this also points to our own core wisdom... but if we think we're wise, chances are that's just more ignorance. emoticon
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 6/21/21 3:39 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/21/21 3:39 AM

There sure are lots of ignorance to uncover on the path, deeply embedded and entangled on so many levels. Fractals of it. I suspect many stop at some level because it's too uncomfortable to go any deeper. Thus the selfing goes on unseen under the surface, making sure that the uncomfort remains in denial as it would blow the cover. Selfing unseen turns into subtle identification that tightens things up, narrowing possibilities and preventing deeper liberation. 
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 2 Years ago at 6/21/21 5:10 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/21/21 5:10 PM

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö
There sure are lots of ignorance to uncover on the path, deeply embedded and entangled on so many levels. Fractals of it. I suspect many stop at some level because it's too uncomfortable to go any deeper. Thus the selfing goes on unseen under the surface, making sure that the uncomfort remains in denial as it would blow the cover. Selfing unseen turns into subtle identification that tightens things up, narrowing possibilities and preventing deeper liberation. 

I have tried to get away from diagnosing myself by what jhana I am in or what path I am on. I am sure the temptation will keep coming up, as I have recently had to post to release feelings. But I have found that certain tendencies can actually be relieved in conventional ways (for example, I am in Denver now and get more excercise due to the high elevation). I do have the hope that those who go to deep can find their answers or questions of liberation.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 6/21/21 6:20 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/21/21 6:20 PM

Being aware of temptations is good. Sounds like you have healthy coping mechanisms too.

Breadcrumb