RE: Moving toward stream entry gently?

thumbnail
Jake , modified 12 Years ago at 10/4/11 5:04 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 10/4/11 5:04 PM

Hahaha! nice to see you here buddy :-) There are indeed many knowledgeable and accomplished helpful folks here.

On the question of holistic practice, and the formal/informal balance, I think it makes just as much sense to colonize one's daily life with dharmic attentiveness prior to formally sitting down as the other way around.
thumbnail
Duane Eugene Miller, modified 12 Years ago at 10/4/11 7:05 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 10/4/11 7:05 PM

Hey man,

Yeah I figured I've been putting this off long enough. I feel like I've got a pretty good grasp on the basics of all this at least enough to keep up. Only good can come of exchanging ideas in a respectful setting. By increasing the amount of potential feedback I'll have the opportunity to see things from angles I wouldn't normally consider.

To expand on my question, I suppose I'm mostly curious to hear what sort of techniques others are using in their job situations or places and times when it may seem difficult to put this stuff into practice. For example it is difficult to use noting practice when parts of my job involve counting numbers or when the mind is already engaged in things of that sort.
thumbnail
Duane Eugene Miller, modified 12 Years ago at 10/4/11 7:10 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 10/4/11 7:10 PM

... and I suppose it might be helpful to mention on here (Jake, you're already aware of this) that the reason I am concerned with integrating this is a gentle way is that I have a family and don't really want to be having all kinds of crazy turbulence messing up my home life and job any more than is necessary. I'm fairly stable and mellow but I've heard some pretty wild stories about what goes on when passing through the stages and don't want to put my family through anything really nuttyemoticon
thumbnail
Jane Laurel Carrington, modified 12 Years ago at 10/4/11 7:41 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 10/4/11 7:41 PM

People often use noting when they're driving; you can do it for a 2 minute or a 2 hour trip, or whatever. When I first heard about people doing this I thought it sounded dangerous, but actually noting puts me in much better touch with what I'm doing than spacing out with narratives when I'm behind the wheel. I'll note colors, sensations, pleasant/unpleasant, thinking.

You can note standing in line at the check-out lane, or doing anything where you're taking a breather. You can do it in waiting rooms, on your way to the bathroom, while you're going to the bathroom, while you're eating. I am a teacher, which means I read and think a lot, write, and engage with students. It's easy to get caught up in that stuff, but there are "in between" moments that are good for restoring mindfulness, going to and from a class or meeting. I have most trouble when I'm peeved about some human drama going on, but the practice has made me more aware of my emotional reactions at such times. The same thing applies with family life. I'm less reactive than I was.

In my practice, I personally am somewhat of a "dry insight" person, yet my vipassana practice hasn't turned me into a raving looney, although the dukkhas have been hard at times. But jhana practice makes these difficult stages easier, so I'm told. In equanimity, which is where I am now, things ease up. I find that a practice on the cushion is essential for me to do the work off cushion, and the off cushion mindfulness helps reinforce the formal practice. All the best to you with your practice, your job, and your family.
thumbnail
Duane Eugene Miller, modified 12 Years ago at 10/4/11 9:11 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 10/4/11 9:11 PM

Thank you for the reply, Jane

I am familiar with noting from MCTB and a few other sources. I experimented with it for a few weeks at a previous job and it was tremendously powerful but also seemed somewhat frantic to me. Like sensations were coming in way to fast for me to keep up. It was useful to bring me fully alert but I couldn't get a good groove with it.

I am kind of into the dry insight approach as well but I think this is mostly because I am not very good at concentration practice yet. I've only ever entered into stable concentrations states a handful of times in my life and mostly by accident.

I am still getting a handle on all this lingo. Dukkhas are attachments in a way? I have trouble with them if I'm not paying attention but I am usually quick to remedy that.

Since I stopped my formal practice it's been fairly smooth sailing up until a few days ago when suffering and dissatisfaction seemed to suddenly re-emerge with more potency. I have been counter-balancing this with attention to suffering and just trying to see into these feelings but I'm now certain I'll have to start up a formal sitting practice again very soon before things get out of hand.
Stian Gudmundsen Høiland, modified 12 Years ago at 10/4/11 10:12 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 10/4/11 10:12 PM

Duane Eugene Miller:
Dukkhas are attachments in a way?

Dukkha = suffering/stress/unsatisfactoriness.

Might I suggest taking a look at the DhO Dictionary and the DhO Dharma Wiki?

Breadcrumb