RE: Music-hobby, Dharma and Sila Papa Che Dusko 11/2/21 12:56 PM
RE: Music-hobby, Dharma and Sila Papa Che Dusko 12/22/23 1:35 PM
thumbnail
Ra Mi Uuun, modified 2 Years ago at 7/2/21 3:28 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/2/21 3:28 AM

Music-hobby, Dharma and Sila

Greetings!

I have been wondering about this for a while, and I thought I'll ask now:

So how do I, and is it even possible, to integrate music-hobby and dharma-practice?

I occasionaly enjoy playing bass or making some experimental beats and soundscapes on daw's or hardware. Occasionaly I attend jam sessions. I have performed live in duo and solo with noise-dub-experimental musical project. I wonder - how beneficial it is for myself and for others...?

Music can be such a field full of distractions, illusions, dellusions - who knows how it programs the mind, if enjoyed too much.. I have seen some folks, who imho, are just too deep in their musical consumptions.

I think lots of music is a kind of fake-dharma, where the 'artist' poses as a kind of guru full on wisdoms and knows it all, but is it not just a big narcistic ego-trip?

I noticed, how a lot of young people are easilly influencable by any kind of weird noises.

I think there is a thing - a kind of artists responisbiliy and duty - if the artist wants to stay on the positive dharma side. Music - is a kind of magick.

So I stoped with performances - I dont want people to digg too deep in my self-amused half-clear muddy-mind mumblings released through delay-pedal and drummachine and fuzzed-bass.

I recently discovered - that if you can program polirythmic pattern based on prime numbers - 1 2 3 5 7 11 - and listen to it - it can provide a kind of unusual mind mode - I guess it its because the mind tries to 'catch the groove' fitting the standart 3/4&4/4 pattern, but there is not one - so it keps trying - and eventualy gives up - and sits in the center of the polirythm...so to say...

I am looking for any advice or comment - practical or phylosophical - regarding this... Or I should just make New Age elevator musak ;) 

Thanks!
Steven E Barnes, modified 2 Years ago at 7/2/21 9:20 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/2/21 9:20 AM

RE: Music-hobby, Dharma and Sila

I would say that making music was unintentionally a kind of spiritual practice for me, before begoming a meditator. For better or worse, the people I've been involved with make free-form experimental music. I prefer to take it in a more contemplative drone direction, rather than harse noise.

There is something magical about multiple people engaged in the act of creation, especially live with a receptive audience. It is possible to be totally in the moment. I remember one person in our small audience telling us afterwards that it was like a guided meditation.

On your musings about prime numbers: first, I believe the technical term is polymeter. Have you looked into Brian Eno's concept of generative music? I kind of stumbled into this by accident. Not with beats, but with ambient loops and the length of effect modulations (LFO speed). If each time length is mathematically unrelated, then the total length of the pattern is the product of all the numbers:

loop 1 length 7 second * LFO1 3 seconds * LFO2 5 seconds = 105 seconds

3 is the magic number, in which you get the combinatoric explosion. 3 performers is great. With one group of friends, we would make noises for a while, then leave the machines running while we chilled out in the backyard.

I might understand what you mean by being " too deep in their musical consumptions". My clique are a bunch of college radio DJs, and we are all passionate about obscure music. I used to chase novelty, listening to many new albums each week, plus listening to our station all the time. I had the same pattern of obsession with other hobbies: gaming, comic books, SF / fantasy, anime... At some point, I started losing interest in all those things, probably due to meditation (because of lessened craving). I have been going through a period of low motivation to do aything, but I think I am starting to get out of that.
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 7/3/21 5:26 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/3/21 5:23 PM

Hey Ra, welcome to the DhO!  Glad to hear from a fellow musician.  Forgive me if my response is long-winded, but it's an exciting question for me, lol.

“So how do I, and is it even possible, to integrate music-hobby and dharma-practice?”

Good question, it’s something I’ve wondered as well. My belief is that the artistic process is not actually separate from dharma practice, and that the three trainings of Buddhism are present as part of that process.  I know you referred to Sila specifically in the post, but I hope you don’t mind if I expand the scope to talk about not just Sila but the other two trainings as well.  And, in this case we are talking about music, because that’s what we know, but it could be anything really.  And even “music” is a huge umbrella term as there are many ways it can be experienced, and many functions that it serves.

So for that reason, a bit of context in personal experience - I’ve played in bands since I was a teenager, in many different roles from supporting role, to band leader, to co-writer (and those have all been very different experiences), and I’ve always also written songs on my own.  Up until Covid, I was performing pretty regularly but have not played any shows since early 2020 (and honestly don’t miss it too much lol). The last 2-3 years have been mostly focused on writing/recording/producing, with some collaboration but for the most part pretty much by myself from a simple home studio.  And for the past 2 years I’ve been combining meditation with my songwriting.

I wonder - how beneficial it is for myself and for others...?

I think it’s important to make the distinction between the internal experience of creating music, and the sharing of that music (either after it has been created, i.e. sharing a pre-recorded song, or while it is being created, i.e. live performance). And I would like to point out that music doesn’t have to be shared.  Even though it usually is, because one of music’s main functions is as a language, it’s just natural to want to share it.  It just seems a little sad and lonely otherwise.  But the point is, intention really is everything when it comes to morality, because the second that it has left our brain and turned into sound waves, we no longer have any control over it.

So to take your question and expand it a bit, applying the three trainings to my personal experience over the past couple of years, which as mentioned, has mostly been composition and producing - I think music can be seen:

As concentration practice - this is related to the states of deep concentration (sometimes referred to as ‘flow state’) that occur when you are deeply focused on some aspect of music.  That can be performing, listening, or writing, really anything that you can lose yourself to.  If you think about it, you might notice that the factors of jhana are there.  I find it very similar to 1st or 2nd jhana.  One good example of this is improvisation, when the solo “plays itself”.  The performer is so in tune with the performance that they can cease to exist entirely.

As insight practice - this is related to any insight that may occur during the lifecycle of writing a song.  Songwriting can involve (at least it does for me) some of the same insights into no-self as Buddhist meditation does.  In my particular experience, much fo the songwriting process involves letting go of attachments to previous, usually more personal, versions of songs.  In other words, overcoming some of the personal/ego-based obstacles that are holding the song back.

As Metta/Dana/Sila practice - Intention is a big part of this. Some of the questions you were asking are relevant here.  It’s something I myself am still working out, but from the perspective of ‘sharing’, I think of the exchange that occurs, or maybe the merging that occurs, between self and others during a great live performance, where the performer and the listener are both having an experience through the same lens of non-centeredness - I think of how this is similar to taking and giving practice.I think of how as a listener, I can tell when a great singer is coming from a place of loving/knowing resonance.

​​​​​​​But lovingkindness can also be practiced towards oneself as part of the writing process. Insights made through songwriting can, just like through meditation, can sometimes be difficult, and practicing lovingkindness towards yourself (or, any other subject/object that might be in focus as part of the song) during these times is a very important part of the process.  Even if the song is never released, never shown to anyone else, this practice can still be present.

Music can be such a field full of distractions, illusions, dellusions - who knows how it programs the mind, if enjoyed too much.. I have seen some folks, who imho, are just too deep in their musical consumptions.

Not that I disagree with any of your observations, but I'm curious, if you gently investigate these distractions/delusions, how much of them are actually relevant to your experience as an artist?  Or, if you prefer, how are they relevant to the societal role of artist?  And, are these actually two separate things - (honestly don’t know the answer to that one)?
To me it seems these are observations about how other people experience music, and the intention of other artists.  Which is... maybe relevant?  But is it really? lol.

I think there is a thing - a kind of artists responisbiliy and duty - if the artist wants to stay on the positive dharma side. Music - is a kind of magick.
​​​​​​​

I think there's a lot of good answers to why we need art, and not just art, but good art!  Maybe it’s simply to tell the truth (whatever that is emoticon).  But in any case, it sounds like you are asking all of the right questions, (questions I myself am still discovering the answers to). You might find that you lose interest in playing music over time, and it’s fine if you do.  But, I definitely think integration it is possible, and there are many examples of artists and musicians who have done it. Good luck on your journey!
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/4/21 11:13 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/4/21 11:13 AM

Turn the amp to 11 and stomp on a cranked Big Muff and hit those strings hard! emoticon THAT IS DHAMMA!!! emoticon

When playing bass he knows he is playing the bass. 
When sitting on the cushion he knows he is sitting on the cushion. 
When wondering if music is Dhamma he knows he is wondering if music is Dhamma. 

​​​​​​​emoticon Best wishes! And keep rocking dude!!! emoticon emoticon 
thumbnail
Ra Mi Uuun, modified 2 Years ago at 7/6/21 2:26 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/6/21 2:23 AM

Thank you all for the extended answers! I am reading them and I will have to think a bit - before commenting further... 

The Big Muff - I was listening quite a bit of the stoner-rock many years ago, I became a fan, bought vinyl-record-player so I can listen to Sleep. Even bought Big Muff myself.

So my question - from psycho-neurological perspective - how healthy is the combination of fuzz and leaf - my guess - not very...
:/ ;)  Because afterwards - my life started to slowly break appart - but I imagine - there were also previous karmas at play, that I was not aware of...
Steven E Barnes, modified 2 Years ago at 7/6/21 9:52 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/6/21 9:52 AM

Neither leaf or Big Muff are problems in of themselves. Not really sure what you are asking about. Musicians have been enjoying the leaf for a very long time. The real problem are the harder drugs, including alcohol. On the other hand, my life has improved since I sold my Sovtek Muff, so who knows... :-)

Some weed now and then is fine. Trying to be high all day every day, you will have problems. Sleep is a great band. I suppose they did exemplify over consumption of weed. It's all about having fun, don't get hung up about it. You can be a meditator without renouncing everything and living in a cave.

And Al Cisneros didn't use a Big Muff, AFAIK. Sleep was really into large stacks of Green amps.
thumbnail
Ra Mi Uuun, modified 2 Years ago at 7/9/21 5:00 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/9/21 5:00 PM

Thanks for the follow up. I was thinking a wide aimed question - so any answer is interesting, it's a kind of spray and pray philosophy aproach.... ;)

I mean, I totally enjoyed Sleep - or even enjoyed it too much, yet maybe that is what I needed - a bit of self made mess - to crawl out from - and to figure something out, whilst doing that. A certain famous yogi also took a walk on a wild side - and figured something out ;)

I never knew about Cisneros gear - I assumed it was fuzz pedals...thanks for the info.

thumbnail
Griffin, modified 2 Years ago at 7/7/21 2:20 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/7/21 2:20 AM

Can you share an audio file with an example of polirythmic pattern? I would like to experience the weird state you mentioned.
thumbnail
Ra Mi Uuun, modified 2 Years ago at 7/10/21 1:39 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/9/21 5:07 PM

Thanks for the interest, here is the link:
https://soundcloud.com/artisartisartis/prime-number-polyrhythms-just-intonation/

I can not say if the experience is any way profound and strong, I made the sound piece some years ago, whilst reading about some musical theories - and a kind of background music - to motivate me to meditate. It did help back then.
Steven E Barnes, modified 2 Years ago at 7/9/21 11:41 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/9/21 11:41 PM

I like it. Here.s a track of mine: https://multuminparvum.bandcamp.com
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/10/21 2:16 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/10/21 2:16 AM

Cmon folks emoticon you know we have a DhO Collab Band here emoticon 

Let's rip one collaboration drone psychedelic tune together! I have some interesting guitar effects to offer if needed. 

We have a thread DhO Collab No2 someplace in the Fun and Games 
thumbnail
Ra Mi Uuun, modified 2 Years ago at 7/10/21 5:37 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/10/21 5:37 PM

Ok, lets do it, because... ...we can - PM me something, somehow - lets see what happens... ;)
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/11/21 1:15 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/11/21 1:15 AM

Oh we have an ongoing thread on DhO where we collaborate. 

My riff ideas are usually melodic and bouncy but that can be good to break up the drone pattern a bit. 
Or might be better yet you offer your idea and I ride that wave on my guitar? 

Let's see if I find time soon to record one idea properly but others here are welcome to offer theirs. I managed to record this idea quickly amidst busy family life ... lemme see to post it and you can tell me if it's of interest to you. 

I hope you know how to chop and crop and arrange in DAW as I'm not the best at it. 

In case you like it I would suggest to try and listen to it and create some interesting beat pattern which may be different to mine so I then try and play it differently over your new beat progression emoticon 

The riff idea at 0.36 is the one of interest. All else is not important. 
https://youtu.be/KOL0s9OnL5o
thumbnail
Ra Mi Uuun, modified 2 Years ago at 7/11/21 8:48 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/11/21 8:40 AM

The riff idea at 0.36 is the one of interest. All else is not important. 
https://youtu.be/KOL0s9OnL5o

Hi, I made a Dub-Version here - a short clip:
https://youtu.be/oEUIbO4IrEI

Perhaps you can DM me on soundcloud or somewhere...so we don't over-spam this sub
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/11/21 2:01 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/11/21 2:01 PM

Thank you! That was fast! emoticon Will try and play over it a few times and see how it fits and if I'm to change the way I play the riff. 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/11/21 2:50 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/11/21 2:50 PM

Ra , I just tried to play over it but am struggling emoticon The audio aint the best and I wish I could hear that bass part better. Aslo would be good to give me a count it, like a click or drum sticks counting me in. Could you uplaod it from the DAW in better quality and give me at east 2 minutes long file with count in clicks if possible so I can do a few takes . Then we choose the best take and see how to arrange this tune.
Steven E Barnes, modified 2 Years ago at 7/11/21 10:14 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/11/21 10:13 AM

This forum contains so much personal drama and dubious pontification, you aren't going to overwhelm anything ;-)

Looks like you 2 are off to a good start, maybe I'll try getting my shit together at some point. However I'm into a lot of weird music, which is why I didn't jump into the DhO collab band...

One suggestion - when I collaborate remotely, I record using a mic, not a web cam, then share loss-less AIF or WAV files over Google Drive.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/11/21 2:32 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/11/21 2:07 PM

I agree no issues with overwhelming anything here. Music is also Mind emoticon We mindfully play and mindfully record using proper SM57, Rode M3 and 906 mics to record our shit emoticon emoticon 
I also record via multi fx unit into audio interface but prefer my amps miced properly if kids are not screaming around the house. 

I share music via SoundCloud. I unable Download. But I wouldn't mind to learn that Google share!!! Is it difficult?

Yes I share WAV as I record into Reaper DAW. 

Weird music is fine! Just post one and let us be inspired by it. I'm always open to try new things! 
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 7/11/21 3:56 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/11/21 3:56 PM

Hey give me a week or 2 and I can get some keyboards on it!
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/12/21 1:49 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/12/21 1:49 AM

Hi JW! You talking to me emoticon 

If so then maybe I should find time to record properly my riff and give it to you as a WAV file. 

I think I would prefer to change the tempo a bit anyway. 

Let me see when family is out of my way to gear up and fire up those mics! 
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 7/12/21 9:50 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/12/21 9:50 AM

Yessir.  Or whoever else might have something to work on emoticon
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/12/21 12:33 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/12/21 12:33 PM

Ok. Stay tuned. Should have 3 days on my lonesome emoticon ah love those holidays when my partner takes kids to her family emoticon emoticon 

Single life here I come!!! emoticon 
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 7/12/21 12:37 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/12/21 12:36 PM

Looking forward to it!

Hey by the way... have you been in touch with Tim F recently? I was wanting to reach out to him about helping me with some lyrics but i haven't been able to get ahold of him. I tried reaching out to his @msn email but no response...

(oops I meant that as a reply to your previous post)
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/12/21 1:04 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/12/21 1:04 PM

I have sent 2 emails to him but no reply. Either he is lost in between the pages of his new book (in no hope of ever finding his way out of there) or maybe he actually died and no one told us about it (if so I hope he had someone good to say a few words on his funeral). 

Any how, we ought to keep that Bar(do) of Last Resort going (Angel will re-stock the drinks, I will re-stock the toilet paper, and you can fix that rotten stage of ours) 

Buckle up! We shall be here until all beings are liberated! emoticon 

​​​​​​​
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 7/12/21 1:13 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/12/21 1:13 PM

Well, hopefully he's busy with a new book...

​​​​​​​here's to hoping he shows up here, or via email, or somewhere...
thumbnail
Ra Mi Uuun, modified 2 Years ago at 7/12/21 1:56 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/12/21 1:30 PM

So I made an extended dub verrsion https://youtu.be/rklx-FKxjWE. It is a kind of delay indulgent delay orgy with lots of delay and reverb - because I like delay and reverb, and with quite a bit of saturation/drive and other efx.

Here dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iyhjoi6ns3n581h/2021-07-11-CheGeDub2021-DharmaOverDub-v01.mp3?dl=0

I 'extracted' bass part from your sample - and overlyed it with my own synth bass - for more bass. There is a rim-shot track - maybe needs eq-ing.

Drums - is saturated 909 kick with...gues what...delay.

Your sample is rhythmicaly impulse-sent to multiple delay buses with diferent timings: 1 2 3 5 7 10 11 of beat. So are other bits and pieces. That creates a kind of ghostly halycinateing kind of vocalish sound scape.

There is also a time-modulated stereo dub-delay - for extra dubness.

The pentagrammic fractal image has no esoteric meaning - it is just becuse I like how it looks.

It is made in Renoise
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/13/21 1:10 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/13/21 1:10 AM

Thanks Ra! 

Will see to find time in the next few days to record my riff over your beat. 

emoticon Never played with such beats before. It will be something new to explore! 

​​​​​​​Thank you! 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/16/21 9:25 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/16/21 9:25 AM

Just an update! 

change of plans; I was suppose to be on my own at home this week but my family changed plans for the next week instead. Can't mic my amps with kids around. From Tuesday I will be able to do the recording. 

The tempo might be different hence Ra might need to redo his beat. But let's see once im done with recording separate parts. 

Stay tuned! 
thumbnail
Ra Mi Uuun, modified 2 Years ago at 7/17/21 8:05 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/17/21 8:05 AM

No worries! ;) I crashed my bicycle, lost my wallet, cracked a tooth, bruised my face, after drinking wine, and listening to acustic black-metal, with a friend in town square.

Otherwise I'm ok - strange, but I feel happy aboutt his - like an idiotic boy I smiled at my bruised face in the mirror, and I cried from pain like a bitch whilst laying down on the asphalt till some friendly Russians set me up - I guess I can be proud at myself a bit - I always was in a kind of meditative distant awarenes - observing the drunk automatic monkey, some new perspectives, read a bit of Adi Shankara.

I wonder how 'Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger' can be aproached from Dharmic philosophical spiritual traditions....? ;)

Yeah, If you record - could you record without the drum/bass parts? So I can have cleaner mix.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/17/21 9:21 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/17/21 9:21 AM

I crashed my bicycle, lost my wallet,
cracked a tooth, bruised my face,
after drinking wine,and listening
to acustic black-metal,with a friend in town square.

Otherwise I'm ok -
strange,but I feel happy aboutt his -
like an idiotic boy I smiled
at my bruised face in the mirror,
and I cried from pain like a bitch
whilst laying down on the asphalt
till some friendly Russians set me up -

I guess I can be proud at myself a bit -
I always was in a kind of meditative distant awarenes -
observing the drunk automatic monkey,
some new perspectives, read a bit of Adi Shankara.

emoticon keep writing this lyrics
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/17/21 9:23 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/17/21 9:23 AM

yes will record all parts separate
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 12:53 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 12:53 PM

Mind if I play around with some keyboards/textures? If by any chance you can send some stems that would be ideal.  I can add Che's part(s) in as well once he has them.  I really like it by the way.
Sorry about your bike/face/tooth.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 1:25 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 1:24 PM

Let's wait until I record my part properly and separate stems, as I'm sure I have changed the bpm (not sure the value). 

Im alone from Tuesday to Friday meaning RECORDING and then mixing time with you fine folks! emoticon 

And yes I want your hairy keys involved!!! emoticon 

Btw, I will record my guitar riff so it can be easy to crop it out in case there is a tail of delay , so it doesn't get into the second part. However I will upload it with drums at the start for you folks so to know the bpm. Just a few beats before guitar comes in on its own for easy extraction. 
thumbnail
Ra Mi Uuun, modified 2 Years ago at 7/19/21 4:00 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/19/21 4:00 AM

Papa Che Dusko
Let's wait until I record my part properly and separate stems, as I'm sure I have changed the bpm (not sure the value). 

Im alone from Tuesday to Friday meaning RECORDING and then mixing time with you fine folks! emoticon 

And yes I want your hairy keys involved!!! emoticon 

Btw, I will record my guitar riff so it can be easy to crop it out in case there is a tail of delay , so it doesn't get into the second part. However I will upload it with drums at the start for you folks so to know the bpm. Just a few beats before guitar comes in on its own for easy extraction. 

Ok, cool stuff ;) I just need to get my stuff sorted out, I might not be around this week here. Have a nice day!
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/20/21 9:44 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/20/21 9:43 AM

Here is my recording of the guitar parts (not EQed, just recorded via amp-mics as is). I did a few takes and JW you can just copy paste any take you prefer. NOTE! Towards the end I recorded some guitar noises which might be of interest to mix in in paces. All is for Chop'n'Crop as you see fit!

https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/rajwche-guitarriff

The second link is the bass on its own. Tell me if you need my drums I can also uplaod them in a longer form. JW, try and dowload Ra's part from the dropbox and see if you can fit his take to my new BPM (not sure which mine is sorry) otherwise Ra can maybe try and redo his part by using these new takes of mine. How does this sound?

​​​​​​​ https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/rajwche-bassbyche
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/20/21 3:29 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/20/21 3:29 PM

Shit! I think the delay on my guitar was not set properly!!! Fuck! 

​​​​​​​Will need to record it again! Sorry for that. Will get it right eventually emoticon 
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 7/20/21 4:06 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/20/21 4:06 PM

The closest you can get to the original BPM the better... it needs to be to a click at least though, otherwise it might not line up to Ra's track
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/21/21 1:46 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/21/21 1:44 AM

I think I mentioned it above emoticon Ra will need to redo his part once I record my parts properly as separate stems. My rhytm
pedal has no bpm values to set sorry. 

I've got the impression that Ra doesn't mind doing it again if only I give him separate stems for the bass and guitar. 

JW emoticon have you seen my above links? There is a whole section of drums before guitar gets in on its own. Also there is a click on bass guitar on its own. 

Check the links. I set them for download.
thumbnail
Ra Mi Uuun, modified 2 Years ago at 7/21/21 3:38 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/21/21 3:06 PM

Hi all!

I got back, with internet, and everything, so on and so on...

I really starting to like the riff even more. I would prefer it to have it 'clean' - without delay and much overdrive, maybe keep the chorus. Delay etc etc could be added later.

Perhaps play it slower, with relaxed, open, flowing tempo - kind of like J.Hendrix does, or the kind of 'arabic' flowing tempo like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbQ57nwsgXo 

The tempo - just let me know what is the tepo on your drummachine/drum-track. However - I am also interested in making a free tempo project - go 'off the grid' ;)

​​​​​​​Cheers!

EDIT: Yes, lets do it - let's go free tempo - as a way to to train and check perception of time, concentration and insight. Modern world is enslaved to the clock, the metronome, the drummachine, the trafic lights, the tram schedules etc etc. Let's set the tempo free...;)  
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 7/21/21 4:07 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/21/21 4:07 PM

OK -
1. Che's Guitar/bass
2. Ra's drums
3. Me sprinkling a lil somethin' on top (and yes, bass and drums are always the most important)
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/22/21 1:48 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/22/21 1:48 AM

Ra! My drum pedal has no option to see the set BPM. It's just a knob (Digitech Trio) Sorry but you will need to ask JW to try and count us the tempo. 

I will stay with this tempo as I already have the bass and drums set to suit my riff. This riff will not sound good too slow. It's a tempo riff I'm afraid. 

However we can have two parts of this song. One that's strict tempo to my riff and other part goes into slow free tempo and here keyboards can also do stuff. 

So let's say we start with a part with my riff in it then the song slows down with free tempo and then we end the song with the faster part that has my riff in it. What say you? 

I will try and record my guitar without the delay today. 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/22/21 7:28 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/22/21 7:28 AM

Ra and JW! I've just recorded my riff a few times for you to chop out the one that sounds best for the mix. Ra asked for no delay this time. I did use vintage flanger and vintage overdrive. I set it for dowload
https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/ra-jw-che-guitar-no-delay
thumbnail
Ra Mi Uuun, modified 2 Years ago at 7/23/21 7:03 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/23/21 7:02 AM

Thanks, this is great, I'll get back with my stuff asap!

I will be able to tap-tempo or time-mach from the drum loop intro.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 8/19/21 6:31 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/19/21 6:31 AM

Knock, knock! emoticon Anybody home? emoticon 

Hope all are healthy and generaly well emoticon We can finsih this collab in our next lifetime maybe emoticon
thumbnail
Ra Mi Uuun, modified 2 Years ago at 8/30/21 1:05 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/30/21 1:05 PM

Hello all! I appologise for this sudden silence and not following up.

After the bike crash, I started to focus more on the things going within and around me - and stuff is kind of falling off from me. Is this path to enlightenment, or am I just brain dead sloth? 

Stuff like art or music seem more and more distant and silly - and all the obsessive compulsive antics people do for it, unles it has some spiritual existential motive. I could just sit on a chair all day and stare into the skies - and be happy. Or did I just suddenly become old and boring? I amuse myself by singing idiotic lyrics over power-metal riffs.

I seem to sort of see through the human antics, the everyday monkey business of existance. Or did the crash triggered in me some kind of narcissist nerve? Humans are monkies with shitzophrenia - bussying themselves that the other monkies also get the same hallucinations they have.

I will get back to this music project when the pattern is right.

I guess I answered my OP question myself ... By practicing more dharma ;)
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 8/30/21 2:41 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/30/21 2:41 PM

Best wishes Ra! emoticon 
thumbnail
terry, modified 2 Years ago at 8/30/21 9:01 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/30/21 9:01 PM

uuun said:

"I noticed, how a lot of young people are easilly influencable by any kind of weird noises."

innagaddadavida, baby...

also,

"Stuff like art or music seem more and more distant and silly - and all the obsessive compulsive antics people do for it, unles it has some spiritual existential motive. I could just sit on a chair all day and stare into the skies - and be happy. Or did I just suddenly become old and boring? I amuse myself by singing idiotic lyrics over power-metal riffs."

Art is everything humans do that has real value. Ars longa, vita brevis.

Music is everything humans do that is divinely inspired. Muse-ic.

All of life lives to eat and dies to reproduce. All of life feeds on all of life. 

Humans make art, and music. Art and music are lenses through which we may see all of religion, philosophy, and science. All practices, all dharmas, all ways.

All living creatures grow until they reach the limits of their resources and nutrients. They then overshoot and crash, eventually coming to dynamic equilibrium in the web of life. Humans are approaching the limits of growth, and as is typical of all organisms and microorganisms, they haven't slowed down a bit and are headed for a crash which will likely destroy their habitat. Simply continuing to reproduce and eat/consume as much as possible is not a long term survival strategy. Not for us. We'll go down hard, and fast.

Only art and music can save us and our web of life. It is making a living and having a family that are antics.

uuun again:

"I seem to sort of see through the human antics, the everyday monkey business of existance. Or did the crash triggered in me some kind of narcissist nerve? Humans are monkies with shitzophrenia - bussying themselves that the other monkies also get the same hallucinations they have."

Dreams are individual hallucinations. We awaken to collective hallucinations.

We busy ourselves communicating our essences, hoping that someone will recognize a kinship with us and be kind. It's our most engaging characteristic.

terry

“Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.”
~Ludwig Van Beethoven
Zarbook !, modified 2 Years ago at 8/31/21 11:23 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/31/21 11:22 AM

Ask Rivers Cuomo ;)
thumbnail
terry, modified 2 Years ago at 8/31/21 1:36 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/31/21 1:36 PM

​​​​​​​¿como?
thumbnail
terry, modified 2 Years ago at 8/31/21 1:50 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/31/21 1:50 PM

​​​​​​​I decided to try celibacy because I heard it would help the meditation, and I tried meditation because I heard it would help with the music. So, it all really comes back to the music.
Rivers Cuomo

People think I'm a freak or something, but I'm actually a really normal guy.
Rivers Cuomo

I think audiences sometimes mistakenly assume a quality performance comes from some great emotional disturbance rather than really intense concentration. Concentration and flow is what it's all about.
Rivers Cuomo

I really don't need to suffer. I can really become a happy person and still make good music - in fact, better music.
Rivers Cuomo

Meditation hasn't separated me from my life and my friends and my work. It's just made my fear go away, so I can just be that much more engaged.
Rivers Cuomo
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 9/1/21 9:50 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/1/21 9:50 AM

"Humans make art, and music. Art and music are lenses through which we may see all of religion, philosophy, and science. All practices, all dharmas, all ways."

Right on T emoticon
thumbnail
Ra Mi Uuun, modified 2 Years ago at 9/1/21 4:29 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/1/21 4:29 PM

“Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.”
~Ludwig Van Beethoven
- what else he would say, othervise we would not by his records!
thumbnail
Ra Mi Uuun, modified 2 Years ago at 9/2/21 8:47 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/1/21 4:39 PM

Rivers Cuomo - that guy looks sad! Its like he is so hard trying to bootstrap his astroturf he might as well become genderfluid, just for that few google hits he might score because of that.

The whole ironically self concious geekery, as if the self mockery somehow deletes the geekery, but it does not - is sad*sad! Accept being a geek or move over it - stop these infinit irony jests!

The very necessity of people thinking of becoming musicians - whatever that even means these days - is pathetic - we are stuck in a carnival, arcade, merry go round, larp - and forgot about it - our narcisism is used against us - to turn us into a slaves of our own self image! Stop it!  

That ego satisfying feeling - you think you will get, when you say to the chicks in the local punk bar, that you have a music project with a guy from internet - is pathetic! Get it! You are pathetic! And me too! 

Now get trigered, eat your xanax, call your therapist - and ebrace the Samasara as it is - you bitch! Where is your zabuton? Slap yourself with a Keisaku!

I apologise for this nonsense - some residual anger daemons resurfacing unchecked I can only say!
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 9/2/21 3:09 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/2/21 3:09 AM

What about Milarepa.... does he pass the test?
thumbnail
Ra Mi Uuun, modified 2 Years ago at 9/2/21 8:51 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/2/21 8:51 AM

J W
What about Milarepa.... does he pass the test?
I am not one that could test him. Good question, tho, I wonder - if Charles Manson could have a comeback as a saint yogi boddhisatva such a way. How could we 'test' him? And what if he starts preaching dharma? 
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 9/2/21 8:59 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/2/21 8:59 AM

Hmm... orchestration of murder I think would be strike 1,2, and 3 in my book.
thumbnail
terry, modified 2 Years ago at 9/2/21 4:13 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/2/21 4:13 PM

I'd like to learn how to play the ukulele some day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9zq6Ggzjoc
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/10/21 10:03 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/10/21 10:03 AM

" ... ukulele SOME DAY "

​​​​​​​I see a problem right there emoticon Just pick it up NOW! And start!
thumbnail
terry, modified 2 Years ago at 9/2/21 4:28 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/2/21 4:28 PM

from "the 100,000 songs of milarepa"

​​​​​​​Song of Mahamudra
Sung in reply to the challenge raised by three scholars

At the time I’m meditating on Mahamudra
I rest without struggle in actual real being
I rest relaxed in a free-from-wandering space
I rest in a clarity-cradled-in-emptiness space
I rest in awareness and this is blissful space
I rest unruffled in non-conceptual space
In variety’s space I rest in equipoise
And resting like this is native mind itself
A wealth of certainty manifests endlessly
Without even trying, self-luminous mind is at work
Not stuck in expecting results, I’m doing O.K.
No dualism, no hopes and fears, Ho Hey!
Delusion as wisdom, now that’s being cheerful and bright
Delusion transformed into wisdom, now that’s all right!
thumbnail
terry, modified 2 Years ago at 9/2/21 4:41 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/2/21 4:41 PM

only 99,998 to go....

Three Kinds of Confidence in Genuine Reality

At the feet of Marpa the translator I bow
From meditating here and there in natural retreats
​​​​​​​
I’ve gained confidence that there is no arising
This swept away my taking past and future lives as two
Exposed all six realms’ appearances as false
And cut right through believing all too much in birth and death

I’ve gained confidence in everything as equal
This swept away my taking happiness and grief as two
Exposed the ups and downs of feelings as false
And cut believing there are some to have and some to shun

In inseparability I’ve gained confidence
This swept away samsara and nirvana seen as two
Exposed the exercise of paths and levels as false
And cut right through believing all too much in hope and fear
thumbnail
Ra Mi Uuun, modified 2 Years ago at 9/3/21 4:24 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/3/21 4:21 PM

impLOG - Holland Tunnel Dive

Leaving for the other side
Going to Take a Holland Tunnel Dive
Oh what a ride

No Support,
No Bridges to cross,
No Wood to burn,
Nothing to learn,

No Soul,
No Love,
No Dinner tonight,
No Woman,
No Cry,
No Respect,
No Equal rights,

No Garden to hoe,
No Seed to sow,
No Food in the fridge,
No TV shows,

No Emotion,
No Devotion,
No Trips to the ocean,
No Time to play,
No Lays,
No Way,
No News,
No Blues,
Nothing to lose,

No Soap,
No Car,
No Cigar,

Leaving for the other side
Oh what a ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHlfuv422Bw

This is a song loong time ago I got from a random no-wave playlist from internet - that, I think now, set me to a trip to the other side. Oh what a ride ;)

The post satori Dark Night of The Soul should be rather called: Gray Morning of The Mind!
What is there? What is the context? What should I do? Who are these monkies? Who is me? All I can do is get drunk and scream profanities and insults at the punk district till some transsexual antifa butch femme kicks me out and molests me with her portable strapon.

'gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha'
thumbnail
terry, modified 2 Years ago at 9/4/21 12:05 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/4/21 12:05 AM

thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/10/21 10:09 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/10/21 10:08 AM

I certainly can relate to Ra being disappointed in nowadays music scene where all is about show off. It really is sad. 

However we should not forget that music was used to Tell Stories emoticon Bands would go from town to town and tell/sing stories from the world, stories about people, happy and tragic experiences. Music is a language. 

I like this Polish folk band and this song seems to tell a story of two people who ... ... 
https://youtu.be/qgwYPmwhHNY
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/10/21 11:36 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/10/21 11:36 AM

Here is another folk story-song from Ukraine.
"This is a story about two girls, - says director Oksana Kazmin. - During life they were friends, who fell in love with the same young man. During the tea-growing season in the apple orchard, they poisoned each other, but their ghosts still stayed in this garden. Every day for many years they re-live the same day ... "
https://youtu.be/keGta1oAU2g
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 9/11/21 2:24 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/11/21 2:24 PM

"I certainly can relate to Ra being disappointed in nowadays music scene where all is about show off. It really is sad. "

Well I can certainly relate to that as well... I still keep coming back to music though. When I struggle with the big questions and just end up banging my head against the wall it feels like the only thing I know how to do. 

So idk, i guess just don't let the 'scene' or 'spirituality' whatever tf any of that is dictate what it means for you to be an artist and to keep creating something real in this shitstorm.

Because "When the music's over, turn out the lights."
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 9/11/21 2:54 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/11/21 2:53 PM

"nowadays music scene where all is about show off. It really is sad. "

And let's be clear what we're talking about here - we are talking about intention. 
A musician's job is not to be famous or to get followers. We are not trying to be PewDiePie here. Fuck that!

Our job is to make good music. 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/12/21 1:03 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/12/21 1:01 AM

emoticon Not sure if its a "job" to make music. However I can relate to art being something like sitting on a toilet and taking a shit ... like a byproduct of certain processes that result in whatever comes out. Then once finished, one can look or listen to it and wonder "what is the deeper menaing of this art?" or just let others do that instead and you just keep on taking another dump. However there are times of constipation and no shit wants to come out emoticon (talking about my inspiration these days)
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 9/12/21 7:29 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/12/21 7:29 AM

Music as hobby, meditation as hobby, job as hobby... it's not a bad way to look at it, sometimes a light touch is best.

Yes art, or any form of expression, is at the root just a shedding of the personality.  Anyone can make a turd, unless you're a transcendental genius like Quincy Jones or Stevie Wonder who literally shits gold, that turd is just going to be the result of the ego-stew that you had for dinner.  

The work comes in polishing that turd into a diamond. No one is going to do that for you. Why would they? (Unless you pay them money... but then what's the point of that?)
At least, that's how it is for me.  The initial spark is fun and all but turning that spark into an actual meaningful something, is a whole different thing.

Anyway... can we change the metaphor now? Lol
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/12/21 11:13 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/12/21 11:13 AM

Yes Boss emoticon 
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 9/13/21 5:29 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/13/21 5:29 AM

I should clarify - I am just describing my own experience of integration of art + meditation + self-inquiry.

I am not 'telling you (or anyone) what to do'.

Not saying it's the best way to go or anything like that.  
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 9/12/21 2:39 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/12/21 2:39 PM

If anyone's interested, this is what I've been working on for the past 2 years. It's not done but close enough to show friends. Working title is Long Daze, Dark Nights​​​​​​​ if that may give you a clue what it's about:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8did8sxsl2pm09e/AABYfhA6DpNRHKBtp80-qB_Ba?dl=0
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/13/21 7:03 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/13/21 7:03 AM

Had a bit of listen but will give it more time, however what I can say now its about the Reverb on vocals emoticon Just way too wet to be able to hear the words and this can make me focus too hard to hear what you are singing about and the joy of listening is gone for me this way. I hope you dont take this the wrong way but I think its important to give vocals space and clarity unless its Shoegaze genre where vocals are but another type of noise and words mean not much.
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 9/13/21 7:26 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/13/21 7:25 AM

Thanks for the listen man. I appreciate the feedback, and yes I am totally with you on that, it's not the first time i've gotten that piece of advice.
Will definitely keep it in mind as I continue mixing.
I'm actually considering re-cutting all the vox in a real studio for that very reason. Part of the problem I think is using home-recording stuff, the preamps just don't cut through quite as much and vocals sound a little thin.
And then of course, because I wrote the lyrics they are clear to me, hahaha, but of course, that's not so much what matters.

​​​​​​​(if you want - let me know and I am happy to send you the lyrics)
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/13/21 11:12 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/13/21 11:12 AM

I know from my own exerience that I never really like my voice when singing, so I tend to apply chorus or tripple chorus effect to it.That makes it a bit "nicer" to listen to emoticon However these effects can sometimes be too much, drowning it all into the mix. Reverb and delays are likely worst at this as they can be so wet. Lots of ways to place the vocals up front but sure thing, proper studio would likely help alot! Our member Pepe rented a studio in Spain, for his album and it sure sounded very pro.

I would LOVE to get into a studio and lock the doors for a whole week , eat there, sleep there, play the heck out of my instruments there  with a good group of musicians (Hell, even one person would do). Im actually toying with the idea to rent out a studio for a few days in Wales (UK) for my 50th b-day. I have a musican friend there, one I already collabed with in the past emoticon emoticon emoticon IMAGINE THAT!!! emoticon emoticon emoticon The best kind of hollidays!!!
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 9/13/21 2:07 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/13/21 12:32 PM

you should totally do it. Being in the studio can be a little bit like being on retreat (expensive one haha). If you are lucky enough to find someone to act as producer who can genuinely improve your songs, or at least bounce ideas off, even better.  Unfortunately people like that can be kindof exclusive/ hard to find though.

This one started as demo recordings but was rewritten in the studio, with someone like I mentioned, providing guidance, and also having friends drop in occasionally.  so as a result had to rewrite all of the vocals.  And now I have my home-recorded vocals sitting on top of studio tracks, lol.

PS I am in EU right now actually haha.  Let me know if you get it booked in the next month ;)
(to collab as friends... of course. not as producer hehe)
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/15/21 2:33 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/15/21 2:33 PM

"I am in EU right now actually haha" 

Not in cold Scandinavia or? If you are around Denmark or even South of Sweden we could find a way for a cup of tea surely emoticon 

Oh and btw, I hate producers. Im a freestyler and producers dislike such. Nah! I just need a recording console and a space for a few friends to pickup instruments and just get going with some noodling which always leads someplace emoticon 
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 9/15/21 3:16 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/15/21 3:16 PM

Papa Che Dusko
"Not in cold Scandinavia or? If you are around Denmark or even South of Sweden we could find a way for a cup of tea surely emoticon "

Actually... Turkey, so opposite side, technically it is still Europe though! emoticon Didn't make it to Thailand due to Covid stuff emoticon 
Will be headed back to the west side of the Med but I dont think we are going to make it too far north... didn't bring enough warm clothes for that!!

We had thought about spending time in scandanavia actually, I want to go, I really like a lot of bands from that area. We will meet up for sure then.

"Oh and btw, I hate producers. Im a freestyler and producers dislike such. Nah! I just need a recording console and a space for a few friends to pickup instruments and just get going with some noodling which always leads someplace emoticon "

Love it. Well I am always down for a jam session, online or not!

emoticon
thumbnail
terry, modified 2 Years ago at 9/16/21 2:39 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/16/21 2:38 PM

jw said:

Music as hobby, meditation as hobby, job as hobby... it's not a bad way to look at it, sometimes a light touch is best.
Yes art, or any form of expression, is at the root just a shedding of the personality.  Anyone can make a turd, unless you're a transcendental genius like Quincy Jones or Stevie Wonder who literally shits gold, that turd is just going to be the result of the ego-stew that you had for dinner.  
The work comes in polishing that turd into a diamond. No one is going to do that for you. Why would they? (Unless you pay them money... but then what's the point of that?)At least, that's how it is for me.  The initial spark is fun and all but turning that spark into an actual meaningful something, is a whole different thing.
Anyway... can we change the metaphor now? Lol

I should clarify - I am just describing my own experience of integration of art + meditation + self-inquiry.
I am not 'telling you (or anyone) what to do'.
Not saying it's the best way to go or anything like that.  ----------------------------------------

When one presents an idea, or an inspiration, or an insight, a work of art, a turd...there is always in the presentation the fact that you are presenting it. Especially with spiritual insight the question immediately arises, "who are you to tell me." Some exaggerate the personal aspect to display more effectively their prowess in presenting knowledge, art, music. Some do their best to let the work stand on its own. Dylan said, "a poem is anything that can walk by itself."

People who present the truth of their being honestly are all artists, whatever their art, and whether they present themselves more personally or more objectively. Many artists, heros and religious figures have big egos. "I am the enlightened one." The truth is that one can only know for oneself, so the attainments of others are mere signposts and encouragement along the way. If that.

Heraclitus said, "Listening not to me but to the logos, it is wise to agree that all things are one." The sage points directly to the logos, transcendental wisdom beyond being and nonbeing, and puts it up to the listener to engage with the ultimate and "agree" with the oneness of the universe and its ground-beyond-existence.

If the discussion gets diverted into who knows what and how, the thread is lost, and the labyrinth rules.

terry

ps yeah pcd, next time I get to costco my ukus are gonna lele...

from "the second book of the tao" chuang tzu, trans stephen mitchell...

“There was a beginning of time. 
There was a time before the beginning 
of time. There was a time 
before the time before 
the beginning of time. There is being. 
If there is being, there must be 
non-being. If there is non-being, 
there must have been a time when even 
non-being didn’t exist. 
Suddenly there was non-being. 
But can non-being really exist, 
and can being not-exist?

I just said something. 
But did what I just said really 
say anything, or not?”

thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/17/21 3:28 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/17/21 3:27 AM

"ps yeah pcd, next time I get to costco my ukus are gonna lele..."

No such thing Terry emoticon just get it RIGHT NOW and learn the first 3 easy chords and you my friend will go far with it. Trust me emoticon I bought a cheap Uke to my boy. I had no clue about how to play it. You tube tutorial on how to tune it and easy 3 cords ... yeps! Im playing it and singing along now emoticon 

Get it and then we might suggest some easy instructional videos! You can even turn those Tao poems into a Uke song!!!
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/17/21 9:10 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/17/21 3:32 AM

Dylan said, "a poem is anything that can walk by itself."

I like that! Jack White said something like "once finished and released, my song is not mine any longer and has life of its own" People hear it and make something else out of it emoticon 

I remember when I painted oil on canvas and people would ask what was the meaning of that abstract painting and I would say "what does it mean to you? Thats what it means." Then they would brighten up, relax and let that inner child imagine anything on that abstract painting and say stuff like "I see a dragon there and some sort of boat or ..." emoticon emoticon emoticon I dont see a dragon or boat but they do and its their meaning of it. Lovely emoticon 
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 9/17/21 8:21 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/17/21 8:12 AM

Terry - you are absolutely right!  

I don't mean to come across authoritatively regarding my process.  I could have been more clear from the start on that or used a different tone - everyone may have a different process when it comes to creating art.  For me personally, I find that spending an hour or two every day doing some sort of writing just helps in general.  Even if I am not feeling particularly inspired, often times I will come back some days later and find that something good has come out.  That's just me though.

"who are you to tell me."

You are totally correct on this as well.  These days I tend to write lyrics from the first-person perspective partially because I want to avoid this trap, though of course ego can come across in many ways not just lyrically.  Though as a listener I often assume songs written from the 2nd-person are usually about the writer themself. Unless it's clearly about someone specifically ('You're So Vain' hehehe)
thumbnail
terry, modified 2 Years ago at 9/17/21 12:30 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/17/21 12:30 PM

jw: Terry - you are absolutely right!  

john 6:51
I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

jw: I don't mean to come across authoritatively regarding my process. 

Well, me nether, bra. But every time we issue a declarative sentence truth judgments are made regarding both the statement and its author. Thus, "authority." If we seem to know what we are talking about, we speak with "authority." Most people, knowing nothing else, assume this springs from ego. Most people, feeling insecure themselves, resent apparent competence and poise.  Distracted by rank and pecking order, or blindly accepting authority about things they don't understand, the truth slips away unregarded. That's why we have to talk about ego so much, as it always gets in the way. Your truth I can agree with, your ego I cannot.

None of this is personal. You don't need to apologize for speaking the truth. The truest possible thing to say is "I don't know."

True authority is something wthin the speaker that the speaker, speaking, is not aware of.

You gotta get up pretty early in the morning if you want to be a spiritual bread maker.

t

WORKING CLASS HERO
(john lennon)

As soon as you're born, they make you feel small
By giving you no time instead of it all
'Til the pain is so big you feel nothing at all
A working class hero is something to be

They hurt you at home and they hit you at school
They hate you if you're clever and they despise a fool
'Til you're so fucking crazy you can't follow their rules

When they've tortured and scared you for 20 odd years
Then they expect you to pick a career
When you can't really function, you're so full of fear

Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and classless and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
If you want to be like the folks on the hill
If you want to be a hero, well, just follow me
If you want to be a hero, well, just follow me
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 9/17/21 3:42 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/17/21 3:26 PM

"The truest possible thing to say is "I don't know.""

Indeed - Could not agree more.

I have no idea if my work is 'good' or not emoticon I posted my music here for the sake of transparency (since I had been an active participant in this thread, primarily in answering Ra's initial question).
​​​​​​​And because much of the lyrical content is somewhat if not directly related to meditation and specifically some of the insight-based types of meditation that are commonly talked about on this site.
It's for anyone who is following this thread to either ignore, or listen if they so choose, and if they do so choose, to feel/judge for themselves whether it rings true for them.  That's all.

btw - get that Costco run in, let's hammer out a yammer emoticon
thumbnail
terry, modified 2 Years ago at 9/18/21 1:11 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/18/21 1:11 PM

<br />"Without music life would be a mistake."<br />~friedrich nietzsche
thumbnail
terry, modified 2 Years ago at 9/20/21 12:58 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/20/21 12:58 PM

went to kona costco yesterday for a ukulele and they told me they were "seasonal" but couldn't say what season...I guess it is still guitar season but my heart is set...mebbe target or walmart...laters no worries...

bimeby I getum...
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/21/21 4:30 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/21/21 4:30 PM

Here, a bit of Nick Drake for you, while you wait for that Uke seasson to arrive emoticon
https://youtu.be/baTHKzpq6YM
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 9/28/21 1:20 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/28/21 1:19 PM

Hey, i just made this 'cover' of St John of the Cross - started out as something totally different but I just happened to put the poem to music and it seemed to just work! 

Thought it would be relevant to post here... hope you enjoy it, would love to hear what you think emoticon

(translation from various places on the net, + a bit of my own sprinkled in)
​​​​​​​

https://soundcloud.com/user-419955972/love-like-a-fire-la-noche-oscura-del-alma

Lyrics:

Love Like A Fire (La Noche Oscura del Alma)
​​​​​​​
On a dark night,
I woke in love and yearning
I left with none observing
My house being now at rest

A love like a fire
But without light or flame
Burning ever brighter
Keeps me on my way

In darkness but without a fear
Down secret stairs I disappear
No other light or guide
Than the one that burns inside

Stare into the fire
That no one else can see
Burning ever brighter
And you’re there waiting for me

Oh night, that guides
Oh night more lovely than the dawn
That joins beloved with love
In the night, you guided me
More surely than the light of the day

Upon my flowering chest
You lay asleep, and I caressed
Just as a breeze blew in across the wall

With the softest touch it pierced my vein
I abandoned all, forgot my name
And there I remained
Beyond all pain, soaked in rain
Flames growing higher
You can see it from a mile away
As wide as a river
As high as a mountain range

Oh night, that guides

Stare into the fire
Of love’s anxiety
Burning ever brighter
And you’re there waiting for me

​​​​​​​
Oh night, that guides
Now, I see you
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/29/21 12:54 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/29/21 12:54 AM

That is nice and love the way I can clearly hear each word you sing emoticon Your vocal now its perfect and sounds the part! Well done!
thumbnail
terry, modified 2 Years ago at 9/28/21 7:19 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/28/21 7:19 PM

lovely poem, sounded good too...liked nick drake as well...

​​​​​​​t
thumbnail
terry, modified 2 Years ago at 9/29/21 1:17 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/29/21 1:17 AM

gave up and ordered a uke from amazon...

a kala concert uke...kala is my new puppy's name (she's a six week old gerberian shepsky) and kala means silver in hawaiian, or money, and I'm a silversmith and I make money at it, so I pounced on it...

aloha oe~~~
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/29/21 1:51 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/29/21 1:50 PM

Nice! emoticon Here is an easy-to-play-along-tune, for a starter emoticon  (edit; congrats on the pup)

https://youtu.be/nwfCoKNI5hs
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 9/30/21 10:23 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/30/21 10:23 AM

man, MBV is so incredible. Got to see them live a few years back, they were handing out mandatory earplugs. Thanks for posting.

Anyway, yes what should we play?  I'm thinking something... islandic?
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 10/2/21 9:08 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/2/21 9:08 AM

Icelandinc? Hm ... dunno any! However I do like this swedish song emoticon Maybe @pollyester could sing this one with you JW emoticon Im known for not being much good at cover songs emoticon 
https://youtu.be/7rydcYX7Pvw
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 10/2/21 9:34 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/2/21 9:34 AM

Poor word choice probably, as it's maybe not a word... I mean 'islandic' as in... 'beachy', which I know is also not a word, but what I mean is 'island music'.  And I threw that out there because, well, ukelele, terry lives in Hawaii, and myself currently being on an island, plus I just like beach music, etc emoticon
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 10/2/21 10:00 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/2/21 10:00 AM

Oh! I see emoticon sorry my bad! I guess we first gotta hear terry tune that darn thing and then we follow his lead emoticon ... need to find that video tutorial, about 3 simple uke chords! You can go a long way on those 3 chords! 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 10/2/21 2:27 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/2/21 2:24 PM

terry gave up and ordered a uke from amazon... a kala concert uke...kala is my new puppy's name (she's a six week old gerberian shepsky) and kala means silver in hawaiian, or money, and I'm a silversmith and I make money at it, so I pounced on it... aloha oe~~~

terry me friend I've done some researcg and found this Ukulele Fool (her channel name) and she teaches 3 chord (C,F,G) songs which will give you all the start you need and she teaches 11 easy songs you might know, songs like; Peace Like a River
I'll fly away
You are my sunshine
Bye Bye Love
Someone to Lava (I will learn this one)
Feelin' Groovy
Love is a Rose
Keep on the sunny side
Forever Young
​​​​​​​Ghost riders in the Sky
Bad Moon Rising

https://youtu.be/9NoV1vwqiYI
thumbnail
terry, modified 2 Years ago at 10/5/21 12:16 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/5/21 12:16 PM

well I got the uke, but terry tuning the darn thing is the initial difficulty...my notes don't sound like the ones on youtube, maybe I need one of those electronic tuners...

and I want to play hawaiian tunes with them three chords, aloha oe, gilligans island, that sort of thing...

nifty little instrument, if I can keep kala from chewing on my kala...

​​​​​​​
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 10/5/21 1:42 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/5/21 1:42 PM

Ah yes! Tuner is important and to know what note each string is! Look up Uke tunning demos! 

If not sure ,then best is to tune DOWN the string and re-start the tunning process! Do not over-tune as the string will snap! 
Also, as these strings are PLASTIC they will need to be re-tuned several time (more even) until they strach enough. New strings do such thing.

I have a CLIP ON tuner. They are cheap and do their job. Need those button batteries though (should be included when you buy one).

In case this Uke causes you suffering, give it to the dog so at least he/she is happy chewing on it emoticon 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 10/20/21 2:05 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/20/21 2:05 PM

terry! emoticon What happened to that bleedn' tuner for the Uke??? Your pup ate it? 
thumbnail
terry, modified 2 Years ago at 10/23/21 11:39 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/23/21 11:39 AM

received the clip on tuner

going to try tune today

then need to practice the three chords at leastfor a week, wrap my fingers around the neck and get them working...

then strum strum
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 10/29/21 1:16 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/29/21 1:15 PM

I sold one of my electric guitars and bought this 000-15M acoustic , all mahogani with solid top, guitar emoticon I tuned it down to C standard and , oh dear God, it's melting under my fingers like butter and sound like 1000 bucks (or maybe it sounds like a choir of 1000 angels) 

Here is me fiddling with it a bit. Love it to bits emoticon 
https://youtu.be/nzDXSzWJYnM
thumbnail
terry, modified 2 Years ago at 10/31/21 2:16 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/31/21 2:16 PM

I see you strum/pick with your fingers at the guitar body end of the sound hole... tutu says to strum the uke at the fret side of the sound hole...

what you think?

​​​​​​​t
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 10/31/21 4:29 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/31/21 4:29 PM

Oh there is no rule here emoticon 

Think about the sound you want; if it's warmer then pick closer to the fretboard. If you want a more snappy tone with more treble then pick closer to the bridge (part that holds the strings on the body) Try it and you will feel this. 

I prefer to strum closer to the fretboard when strumming whole chords, as rhythm part. But when doing solo notes I certainly back off towards the bridge and pick there. It's also nice to pick low strings closer to the bridge and high strings over the center of sound hole. This way they sound more balanced. 

Generally if I arpeggiate chords I will tend to pick closer to the bridge for clarity of each note picked. 

I would not worry about that now. Just get those chords going and basic strumming so you can sing along. This way you will be inspired to learn more emoticon 

​​​​​​​Best wishes! 
thumbnail
terry, modified 2 Years ago at 11/1/21 1:40 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 11/1/21 1:40 PM

(gassho)

g is hard... my left is my anvil hand, never had to articulate before...might do better tother way round...
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 11/1/21 2:03 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 11/1/21 2:03 PM

Oh no! If you are right-handed then you ought to fret with the left hand. Yes indeed emoticon it feels not like your own hand and we all have to go through that phase! There is no way around it but the way you ARE doing it right now. It has to start awkwardly! emoticon Do not give up!
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 11/2/21 12:56 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 11/2/21 12:56 PM

I reckon you will play like this next year emoticon just follow, consistent, daily non-heroic practice emoticon emoticon 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MxIeb-fwWk
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 3 Months ago at 12/22/23 1:35 PM
Created 3 Months ago at 12/22/23 1:35 PM

Live long new age elevator music! Do music not war!

https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/jensen-blackbird-and-p12r

Breadcrumb