Feeling of floating out of the body

Ian E, modified 2 Years ago at 7/20/21 8:30 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/20/21 2:30 PM

Feeling of floating out of the body

I haven't been here in a bit, but I've experienced something strange in meditation recently and I'm curious what you all think. 

When it comes to placing myself in the process of attainment, I'm completely unsure. I've experienced many intense things in meditation, and I have a lot of experience with the jhana's to where I can go through them within minutes or even seconds of sitting down, almost like I'm skipping to the higher ones. 

For a while I was getting this sensation of energy coming from the base of the spine to the top of my head and at first I got a lot of fear and felt like my head would explode. After a while I learned to let go and I felt the energy come out of my head and continue in a line upward. After this would come calm and clarity and the lingering feeling of behind pulled upwards by a string, but after a while the clarity fades and my ego returns. 

In Hindu traditions I think this might be what they call samadhi, but I'm not sure. Satori, samadhi, fruition, kundalini awakening all these terms are confusing to me because the explanation sounds the same.

So yesterday I was having this experience, but this time I felt centered on this point above my head (I think there is a chakra point there?) I felt a great sense of pleasure and my eyes stared rolling to the back of my head and my eyelids started fluttering. Then suddenly I felt as though I was floating out of my body. The sensation was jarring and I immediately opened my eyes all the way to snap myself out of it. After doing so I felt a bit naseous (went away quickly though) and after that I felt the need to consciously ground myself for the rest on the night, or else I would float away. I got this sensation especially when I closed my eyes. Today, however, I feel more or less normal.

​​​​​​​Thoughts?
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 7/21/21 1:00 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/21/21 1:00 PM

RE: Feeling of floating out of the body

There have been phases when I've had a lot of that going on. Typically A&P-related, but that doesn't say much really, because we can have A&P experiences anywhere on the path as the cycling is actually a spiralling. It won't be like that forever. I'd say enjoy it but don't cling to it, and ground yourself as needed. You seem to have a healthy approach to it, from what I can see in your account. 

Have you tried hanging out with friends in a pool while having that tendency to float away? I have, and I actually literally floated, from standing. My feet just wouldn't stick to the bottom. 
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 2 Years ago at 7/21/21 1:19 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/21/21 1:19 PM

When you reach equinimity, you might have a different relationship with floating. 
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 2 Years ago at 7/21/21 1:23 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/21/21 1:22 PM

In Hindu traditions I think this might be what they call samadhi, but I'm not sure. Satori, samadhi, fruition, kundalini awakening all these terms are confusing to me because the explanation sounds the same.

All these things are related to how enlightenment, which you have already a taste for, is translated into daily life. Just taste and see until you are satisfied.

Breadcrumb