I entered a mixed Jhana, and I don’t even feel human anymore

Brandon Michael Rohe, modified 2 Years ago at 7/27/21 3:34 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/27/21 3:34 PM

I entered a mixed Jhana, and I don’t even feel human anymore

I was doing some powerful Jhana work starting from the fifth to the seventh jhanas. After going into deeper and deeper absorption into these states, I would fight my way out with vipassana and focus on the three characteristics. The vipassana gave me a way to crush the pleasantness of the temporary experience and uncover it to where all three doors could be understood simultaneously. After the last switch into nothingness/7th Jhana, this aspect became fused with 5th and 6th Jhana elements continuously present. 

I stopped being able to breathe. I became the room which was a finite sensation of being in an enclosed space with direct access to the boundless aspect of space in sensation. I realized that the distinctions between space and being contained in a finite experience were based on the same exact sensate illusion. I eventually found out how to breathe in this new mixed Jhana with only formless aspects of forms remaining. I had to breathe through my bones. The non space sensation within my body after full exhalation was more profound and subtle than the nothingness in 7th Jhana previously. Many other strange and unspeakable experiences such as air turning to sand occurred, but they are too many to number or categorize. Every instant has within it infinite subtlety. 

I feel like this is never going to end. I'm constantly fluxing between jhanas as I've acquired a sort of automatic no-mind which contemplates the three characteristics even in intense absorbed and blissful states. Now petting a dog feels like a specific Jhana. Is the special desirable aspect of petting a soft dog on its face any different from the desirable formless aspects of typical jhanic sensations? In this way, you are not just changing nothingness and space but also all other sensate dimensions which could be investigated. 
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 2 Years ago at 7/27/21 3:46 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/27/21 3:46 PM

RE: I entered a mixed Jhana, and I don’t even feel human anymore

I was trying to breathe with you during my reading of your post. How does it feel to step outside?
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 2 Years ago at 7/27/21 3:48 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/27/21 3:48 PM

When I mix it up in my mind I like to "self-liberate" the state I am in and head to the great outdoors!
Brandon Michael Rohe, modified 2 Years ago at 7/27/21 4:29 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/27/21 4:29 PM

Going outside feels nice, but I'm still able to function more or less completely normal on the outside while having these crazy experiences. It's really odd to feel yourself in a completely alien reality which feels more comfortable and like home than anything ever before it. 
thumbnail
Niels Lyngsø, modified 2 Years ago at 7/28/21 11:14 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/28/21 11:14 AM

Dear Brandon

Those sound like powerful experiences and almost (?) too much to handle at the moment. I don't know if you are still meditating, but if you are, I suggest you take a break. Go outdoors, do some exercise, eat some heavy food, get some sleep, see some people. And then find a qualified meditation teacher to guide you onwards. I for one have completely lost it deep inside a jhanic state, so this advice comes with the best of intentions and from my heart: Don't fry your self, man. Take care!

​​​​​​​Niels

Breadcrumb