Fire kasina practice question

Sam, modified 2 Years ago at 8/17/21 2:14 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/17/21 2:10 AM

Fire kasina practice question

I have two pretty straight forward questions if I may. 

1) I have practiced focusing on nostril and as concentration grows the sense of tranquility and calm permeates off the cushion. I am attracted by the claims that Kasina helps one progress at a very rapid rate and would like to try this. I understand the object of focus doesn't matter. Does that mean the general sense of well being also spill over to off the cushion with this object. I read a lot about HD visuals and lights but it's equally or more important for my heart to feel the calm breath meditation offered. 

2) I read from Daniel to go on retreats or self retreats to really feel the effect. But with 30min-1hr a day persistent practice can I notice tangible result to build momentum? Perhaps at this point I will go on retreats when I feel confident.

Thank you in advance.
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 2 Years ago at 8/17/21 3:22 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/17/21 3:22 AM

RE: Fire kasina practice question

If you have ever touched a flame from any part of your body then you can access fire kasina by body scanning. Hope that's helpful 
Sam, modified 2 Years ago at 8/17/21 5:08 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/17/21 5:08 AM

A. Dietrich Ringle If you have ever touched a flame from any part of your body then you can access fire kasina by body scanning. Hope that's helpful 
Apologies but I must be missing something because I don't follow what you are saying.
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 2 Years ago at 8/17/21 12:30 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/17/21 12:30 PM

I got my intrudoction from working with a bow drill in a wilderness survival camp. I think it was an introduction to fire kasina. I find typical flame meditation boring aka non-stimulating.
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 2 Years ago at 8/17/21 1:24 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/17/21 1:24 PM

When you make fire from non-natural sources (lighters, matches, flint and steel, magnifying glass) than you get a kasina practice that is dependent on society.
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 2 Years ago at 8/17/21 1:27 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/17/21 1:27 PM

Examples of natural fire include bowdrill, handdrill, making heaps of compost or hay and having them spontaneously combust.
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 2 Years ago at 8/17/21 1:37 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/17/21 1:37 PM

A quick tour of the fire kasina made from non-natural sources might take you up into the formless realms, but depending on your practice you may or may not find this comfortable as the formless realms are kind of an aquired taste. In any case, if you want mastery of the fire kasina I recommend doing it au-natural.
Hector L, modified 2 Years ago at 8/17/21 10:31 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/17/21 10:31 PM

I found it fun and interesting and it didn't take long to experience weird effects.<br />It was informative too, because now I have a taxonomy of various visual patterns that I can use.<br />Like this blotch of light came from {physical stimulus, photoreceptor dye saturation, blue field entopic phenomenon, mental image, geometric visual cortex stuff, slow wave stuff, imaginal stuff}
thumbnail
Dustin, modified 2 Years ago at 8/25/21 9:17 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/25/21 9:16 PM

1)   Does that mean the general sense of well being also spill over to off the cushion with this object. I read a lot about HD visuals and lights but it's equally or more important for my heart to feel the calm breath meditation offered. 

--- For me I quit because the Kasina concentration was a lot on my mind and body. Breath  meditation never got me anxious like Kasina could. Breath meditation always had a calm and more open concentration than the one pointedness I got from Kasina. But to each there own. 

2) I read from Daniel to go on retreats or self retreats to really feel the effect. But with 30min-1hr a day persistent practice can I notice tangible result to build momentum? 

--- I've heard of people getting tangible results with an hour a day for gaining  solid concentration. I did it with a flashlight an hour a day for a while and could gain real deep concentration but finally gave up because it made me to edgy. Also Daniel was doing retreats and practicing insight meditation with Kasina. There's a difference in using it for concentration vs insight from what I understand. 

Breadcrumb