RE: Any details on how to dissolve back and neck tension using energy

Mandakini, modified 2 Years ago at 8/27/21 10:44 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/27/21 10:33 AM

Any details on how to dissolve back and neck tension using energy

In MCTB2 I see text mentioning use of energetic phenomena to dissolve back/neck tension and wondering if there are more details someone can share.

​​​​​​​ https://www.mctb.org/mctb2/table-of-contents/part-vi-my-spiritual-quest/67-benefits-of-the-powers/
There are also many ordinary and what might be termed “recreational” uses for the powers. Since this is a book on Buddhist practice, I would strongly recommend applying basic Buddhist concepts of morality to these uses as well. Common, relatively easy powers are:
• dissolving headaches and neck tension
----

https://www.mctb.org/mctb2/table-of-contents/part-vi-my-spiritual-quest/64-ethics-and-the-powers/
Some powers are relatively ethically benign: experiencing sensations such as simple colors and sounds, unrelated to formed images of beings, pose few ethical dilemmas most of the time. Things you do to yourself, such as energetic manipulation to relieve back tension or resolve a headache—generally not a problem.

George S, modified 2 Years ago at 8/27/21 1:03 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/27/21 12:53 PM

The book Internal Moving Healing by Robert Hover has a lot of detail on how to do this kind of thing. Personally I've found working with the underlying emotional issues more effective in opening up energetic blockages than trying to move the energy directly. Probably the most effective approach would be straight relaxation/samatha/letting go, but it can take a long time to figure out where you are resisting/clinging in the body. I've also found Gendlin's Focussing technique to be very effective. It's a kind of hybrid energetic-therapeutic method which is good for teasing out the underlying emotional content associated with energetic issues. Hope that helps. 
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 2 Years ago at 8/27/21 3:29 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/27/21 3:29 PM

Tensions in body do not require powers but working methods of bringing your body/mind to equilibrium and equanimity.

When nervous system works correctly without any positive feedback loops causing it to trigger parts of itself constantly beyond the point that it causes dukkha any potential tension is very easy to identify and practice on by sending various control signals (those are just specific signals which function needs to be figured out by throwing them at things and seeing what happens... or learned from others, though I do recommend not relying only on others because people do not know everything - also do not make copying other people methods in to big challenge and just shamelessly copy them because we can do that naturally so making it in to challenge makes you waste your time and potential in to finding new stuff).

When there is a lot of these knots causing tensions the issue is that even working solutions can appear to be not working because quickly after action is done the tension might come back, often feels even worse or not worse but in a way that might in some sense appear worse leading to hopelessness and assuming action was entirely incorrect. And true, it probably could be better but how good it is and how to improve it might not be very clear because feedback is confusing.

The way I did it was to try bunch of stuff and those which did anything at all would be tried later more than those which seemed terrible. Then after I worked out somewhat working solution I would develop something else and then having more than one thing which worked I would try to combine them. Then again something new, try different combinations, etc. After a while (few years) I had enough of these methods of dealing with tensions, knots, etc. that most of them could be solved using many methods, some which were known to be quick but not very long lasting solutions and some with better forecast. This was not to find the one thing but develop better methods. When some guru came in and said he found ultimate method(s) I would copy it and move on with my research of continuous improvement and finding new solutions to any issues which might arise.

When you have more of these methods and mind trained in finding them it makes even having issues not feel as an issue but as an opportunity to work on stuff and improve.

And as for powers training siddhis works pretty much the same way, just unlike controlling body/mind real siddhis are actually hard to train emoticon
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 8/28/21 10:09 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/28/21 10:09 AM

Your post made me experiment today with my daily neck stiffness (if you look into my logs since 2020 here on DhO) you will notice me mentioning stiff neck and shoulderblade a lot.

Off cushion, just noticing the neck pain and it was there, unpleasant and stiff and annoying and agonizing ... kept noting it ... note, notice, notice, let it just hang in awareness ... ooops gone ... where is it ... the mind kept telling the story "its there but hidden behind practice" emoticon HA! Gotta be awake to suffer less I guess emoticon 

​​​​​​​Thank you for your post and may you find the way out of sufering my friend! 
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 8/28/21 10:25 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/28/21 10:25 AM

I would agree with George that a lot of the time there is external and/or emotional stressors that can cause physical pain, it seems especially common in the neck and back.  For me I used to have chronic neck pain (before meditation) which somehow just sorted itself out, I think due to just changing life circumstances.  
Recently, I had a period of a few weeks where this pain came back and it was fairly concerning, though thankfully it seems to have gotten better.  In my case, the pain seemed to coincide with a toxic work project that I was stuck on, that I felt like I had no control over (though in reality, I did have some control over it).  Within a few days of the project concluding, the pain also seemed to go away.  So, at least in my case, I think there's reason to believe they were related.
During the few weeks where I was dealing with this, what seemed to help was yoga (focus on stretching), samatha, and mindfulness of the pain.  (You might as well get some insight out of it).  I found it really curious how I could be feeling like shit one second, and feeling perfectly fine the next emoticon
You could also try going 'into' the tension and see what happens.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 8/28/21 1:45 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/28/21 1:45 PM

By welcoming and embracing that it's already happening on its own, basically. Hard to explain. It's like allowing a pleasant shiver to spread through your body. 
Mandakini, modified 2 Years ago at 8/28/21 4:00 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/28/21 4:00 PM

Thank you George, Ni, Papa che, J W, Linda for all the pointers!

Today during my meditation - I felt a lot of tightness in my stomach, slowly trusting and accepting  the sensations,  I loosened up and trusted what was happening. I accepted  that  am in fear from last painful episode of neck and head pain. 
And It happened.
Fingers got joined together, body became erect ... I let the energy do it's work, it released and popped up the  neck, as Chiroprector will do. It reduced the pain. 
Energy is rising up to the crown, I can feel the pressure  ... but I am still a bit afraid to completely loosen up.

thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 8/28/21 4:30 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/28/21 4:30 PM

The neck stifness moved into a strange pin pain just behind the right ear, it comes ... it goes away ... and so on. Takes a few minutes between it coming back and then going away. However the neck just crackles a bit but the actual agonising pain is not there. Maybe the mind is trying to make another story behind the right ear? Maybe Mara is whispering it into my right ear? emoticon Or maybe Mara wants me to think that that might be the case? Or Mara wants me to think that Mara wants me? OH no, this goes on and on emoticon 

Good night ya all!
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 8/28/21 5:24 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/28/21 5:24 PM

"Energy is rising up to the crown, I can feel the pressure  ... but I am still a bit afraid to completely loosen up."

Yes let the energy/center of awareness do it's thing up to the crown and let it keep going above the crown. Just keep trusting
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 8/29/21 1:50 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/29/21 1:50 AM

Another practice that can help with this is Tonglen. 

Let me copy paste in here this form of Tonglen by shargrol;

"There is a version of tonglen that I highly recommend:

1. Find some aspect of your present experience that is lacking, is difficult, is suffering, etc.
2. Feel that experience. It can help to name it.
3. State the intention: "if there are any other beings out there that are experiencing this and having too much difficulty with it, may I experience it for them. May their experience come to me. May I fully experience it with no resistance. May they find relief."
4. Feel that experience again. Soak in it, dwell in it. Also imagine the joy the other feels being free of it and how they can gain perspective/insight because they now aren't overwhelmed by it. Go back and forth between you and other.
5. After a period of time that feels right, drop the intention and say, "May all beings be free from suffering, may all beings awaken, may all beings be happy."

And then repeat the whole cycle again when it feels right.

The benefit of this practice is you are not taking on anything new, you're experiencing what you are already experiencing, but you are taking on what you are already experiencing with a much deeper intention that goes beyond yourself.  And it ends with a reaffirmation that we're all worthy of peace, awakening, and happiness.

Give it a try. And feel free to disregard if it doesn't seem like a good match."
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 8/29/21 4:44 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/29/21 4:44 PM

There's no need to either push it or resist it. It finds its own way perfectly well. If there's an uncomfortable pressure of energy in the head, there are many things you can do to calm it down. Vitamine B complex, brewer's yeast, heavy foods, walking barefoot in the soil to ground yourself, doing hatha yoga, focusing below your navel, or reminding the energy that it can go subtle so that no boundaries can hold it. 
Mandakini, modified 2 Years ago at 9/6/21 4:49 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/6/21 4:49 PM

Hi All,
Thank you for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it.
I am okay now but preparing for the situation in future. In that reference, I have few questions  :
"If there's an uncomfortable pressure of energy in the head, there are many things you can do to calm it down. Vitamine B complex, brewer's yeast, heavy foods, walking barefoot in the soil to ground yourself, doing hatha yoga, focusing below your navel, or reminding the energy that it can go subtle so that no boundaries can hold it." 
​​​​​​​

1. I assume many of above can be done together, right ?
2. Any specifics on Hatha Yoga which works? I am from India but have never came across. I do Sun Salutation and aware of Pranayama and Yogasanas

Breadcrumb