Morality training decreases my motivation?

Pavel Pek, modified 2 Years ago at 10/7/21 3:24 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/7/21 3:24 PM

Morality training decreases my motivation?

Hello guys I have had a lot of motivation when I had my OCD kicking in all the time and feeling really in full suffering mode. Then I have realized that I was meditating in order not to feel the suffering from my OCD. After I realized this, I started doing therapy for OCD again and my OCD is getting better now BY A LOT, and all of a sudden all the motivation for dharma practice is leaving me since I feel much freer and I feel much less suffering.

So what to do when your morality training takes away suffering which could otherwise serve you as fuel for motivation to meditate? Does Buddha or anyone else have any answers to that? 
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 2 Years ago at 10/7/21 7:41 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/7/21 7:39 PM

RE: Morality training decreases my motivation?

Pavel Pek
Hello guys I have had a lot of motivation when I had my OCD kicking in all the time and feeling really in full suffering mode. Then I have realized that I was meditating in order not to feel the suffering from my OCD. After I realized this, I started doing therapy for OCD again and my OCD is getting better now BY A LOT, and all of a sudden all the motivation for dharma practice is leaving me since I feel much freer and I feel much less suffering.

So what to do when your morality training takes away suffering which could otherwise serve you as fuel for motivation to meditate? Does Buddha or anyone else have any answers to that? 

I'll ask you some questions for your meditation practice (not because I want to know the answer in order to advise you): Why are you concerned with how much you practice? What is the attachment it reflects? Why do you think you need a consistent practice? What do you think meditation is supposed to do for you? What emotions are you feeling about practicing, about not practicing?

Is it possible you don't want to meditate as much now because you no longer need it as an excuse to avoid your girlfriend? If your initial desire to practice was based on a flimsy reason, there might not be much point to trying to continuing. Lots of really great, wonderful, loving, generous, kind, important people, humanitarians, don't meditate. You don't have to meditate to be a good person.

If you do want to mediate, go for it. Do the amount you think is right for you.

Breadcrumb