practice/path update; guidance?

, modified 12 Years ago at 10/16/11 4:35 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 10/16/11 4:35 PM

practice/path update; guidance?

I am putting this under actual freedom, tho I do not actually read the AFT site. What I understand to be actual freedom from DhO-AF people is the continuous state of apperception (which has no room or reason for an agent to filter apperception) which I consider as identical to "no more coming into being" in dhammaville.

Feel free to respond from either camp (actualism, dhamma maps).

Symptoms right now: little sleep this past few days (i.e., looked at clock last night and decided to get in bed at 3:15 a.m., woke up shortly before 9, well-rested). Time/day has become a weak guide, though last night was the first tweak to circadian rhythm and may be a one-off fluke (and 9 is historically very late for me). Concentration is easily sustained and "strong" at the moment: no need to move postures, gaze, stillness is occurring in the body, though a muscle around the right eye orbit sometimes twitches.

Three obvious sensations arose into real, faintly felt feelings this week: one which occurred twice and which is quite effective in locking out PCE for long periods of time (disappointment in self) and another (grief) which was brief in feeling and slow and obvious in the energetic precursor to cognizing "grief" (energy moving up from stomach, into chest, up back of neck, into head and temples, yields pressure in the head like a stuffy head cold). Two other affective forms have arisen without feeling: defiance and fear. Neither had any feeling to them. That was odd. Both presented like paperwork for review in order to prevent the formation of an actual problem.

I have definitely been cycling for weeks - but cycles been very mild, largely going between pure consciousness, affective comfort, massively reduced on-demand memory, open spaceness, no impetus to move about - almost to a fault.

Outwardly, living is enjoyable and "productive" (meaning here, not consumed in self whirlwinds)

So, the plan is review any arising sensations, any subtle accompanying feelings, and re-enter apperception. Apperception is going in and out of feeling like superb, limitless concentration (has agent) and pure apperception (lacks agent).

Any thoughts welcome.
John Mitchell, modified 12 Years ago at 10/16/11 6:51 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 10/16/11 6:51 PM

RE: practice/path update; guidance?

If it is helpful: (From AF website)

"Apperception is an awareness of consciousness. It is not ‘I’ being aware of ‘me’ being conscious; it is the mind’s awareness of itself. Apperception – a way of seeing that is arrived at by reflective and fascinating contemplative thought – is when ‘I’ cease thinking and thinking takes place of its own accord … and ‘me’ disappears along with all the feelings. Such a mind, being free of the thinker and the feeler – ‘I’ as ego and ‘me’ as soul – is capable of immense clarity and purity ... as a sensate body only, one is automatically benevolent and benign."

This past week has been very successful for me too, regarding less sleep, dropping of eating cravings, apperception, lots of long periods of well-being. Also a day of more-or-less virtual freedom. I noticed one day that I finally understood what apperception is, because I had been experiencing it for extended periods unknowingly.

I find listening again to the Hurricane Ranch audio between Daniel and Tarin to be helpful, I get something more out it every time.

best wishes
, modified 12 Years ago at 10/16/11 8:33 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 10/16/11 8:33 PM

Thank you, John.
thumbnail
Pål S, modified 12 Years ago at 10/17/11 7:50 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 10/17/11 7:50 AM

I will say one of the more, to me, unappealing traits of AF is having a pinned-to-the-wall alertness going twenty hours a day. I like sleeping.emoticon
, modified 12 Years ago at 10/17/11 10:37 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 10/17/11 10:36 AM

Paul - you are actually free, then? If so, excellent.

I've added a fair amount of yoga this week after a week away last week. It supports actualism/insight in that it i) de-forms extant muscle contractions in a way comparable to how insight meditation allows extant thoughts to de-form (or how actualism quickly releases the formed feelings), and ii) it permits the sensing of forming muscular contractions and their ultimate possession similar to how insight meditation permits sensing the formation of thought and thought-possession.

It is interesting.
thumbnail
Pål S, modified 12 Years ago at 10/17/11 12:52 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 10/17/11 12:52 PM

No, just recalling from memory. What yoga routine are you doing, something self-composed? Physical exercises in general really seems to be a fail-safe way to pop the thought-cloud.
, modified 12 Years ago at 10/17/11 5:11 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 10/17/11 5:07 PM

What yoga routine are you doing, something self-composed?
I took several instructed classes Friday through to today to counteract one gross consciousness shift last week and a couple ripple-effect subtle ones. Regardless of impact and duration, this shift in awareness indicate a root cause is attendant and needs to be uprooted. Many things can do this, yoga is a caring and effortful activity, but cleaning up the garden works too.

For tonight, I dug up Nivair Singh Khalsa's Yoga for Runner's and Skiers (spiral bound thin, rich book) from college, and I am going to Yoga Journal to create a few sequences (forward, backward, twists and repeat x 3) based on areas of my body. The keys being: create a comfortably active, and continuously engaging stretch, (without any pains or going beyond joint/stability comfort), using proper alignment, and deep, slow breathing.

Instructions and sample of ujjayi breathing can be found here: it is very consistent and does not peter out or gasp. It causes heat. The speaker introduces it progressively so that the last breathes (closed mouth) are ujjayi.

Physical exercises in general really seems to be a fail-safe way to pop the thought-cloud.
Yes. It can go overboard into evasion, ignorance, and damage, too. It's a tool. It has uses.
, modified 12 Years ago at 10/17/11 10:48 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 10/17/11 10:48 PM

Hi Paul - here is more for thought-cloud popping (40s spot is fun). This makes more (non)sense on the tundra... Going offline for awhile now.
Isabell Anna Eklund, modified 4 Years ago at 5/23/19 7:51 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 5/23/19 7:51 AM

Hi I just wanted to add a resource from Yogateket because that Yoga Journal link is broken https://www.yogateket.com/blog/yoga-poses-names-sanskrit-pranayama 

Also want to share article with nadi shodana

W
armest 
Isabell