RE: Om Mani Padme Hum chanting

thumbnail
Sigma Tropic, modified 1 Year ago at 4/24/22 1:20 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 4/24/22 1:16 PM

Om Mani Padme Hum chanting

The mantra "Om Mani Padme Hum" is a classic buddhist mantra. It is a mantra of compassion- it is translated in English to mean "The jewel is in the lotus". The syllables all have different meanings:

• Om = the vibration or sound of the universe; represents divine energy and generosity and purifies the ego
  • Ma = represents ethics and purifies jealousy
  • Ni = represents patience and purifies want or desire
  • Pad = represents diligence and purifies ignorance and judgment
  • Me = represents concentration and purifies attachment
  • Hum = the unity of all; represents wisdom and purifies hatred
This mantra can be sung along to and there are some good videos on youtube, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-ZO7bsA2pA

Practice instruction for accessing joyful state of mind:
  • Forget everything but the sound of the music, your body, your mind, and your resonance with the energy of the melody 
  • Sing along with the chant "Om Mani Padme Hum, Om Mani Padme Hum" with your outbreath, and at the end of the two repetitions, draw in fresh, purified air (you have to be in rythym with the music- you'll get it)
  • Pay attention to the way your being vibrates, starting at the vocal cords the energy vibrates through your being. Immerse yourself in this sense of pure resonance. 
  • Smile and enjoy the simple experience of singing along and buzzing to the energy of the chant. 
  • In between the chanting sections, maintain an awareness of the blissful clarity and absence of dukkha emoticon  
These practice instructions are perfect for driving in the car, can be done in groups (highly reccomended), for example, with a car full of children emoticon Singing along like this will unite the participants in a blissful pure wholesome experience which condtions the mind in a wonderful way. Please enjoy. 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 1 Year ago at 4/24/22 1:21 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 4/24/22 1:21 PM

It works perfectly for calming my cats when they are fighting. 
genaro, modified 1 Year ago at 4/25/22 8:19 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 4/25/22 8:19 AM

... iff you like a bit of singing then check out Om Namah Shivay by that inspriational east german singer Nina Hagen.

If you can find the CD  you get the words translated into french english and german ... actually I spoke to soon, that was the policy on earlier releases, but there are some translations.  I loaned this to a yoga teacher who was playing some hindu chanting and admitted when asked that he had no idea what the words meant ... I didn't get it back and had to buy another one :-( ... maybe that's when some of the words went missing???

It contains 'Om Mani Pay-me Hum' but it's far from the best on there.  Me I'm not a vibrator (WTH does that mean anyway?) but I can use this to feel good.

Difficult to obtain now but it's online here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udSdEvX_e6A

Happy listening.

and all together now.... 

hey shiva shankara
hey maheshwara
hey shiva shankara
hey maheshwara
sukha hare dukha hare
Hare hare shankara
sukha hare dukha hare
Hare hare shankara
Om namah shivay
Om namah shivay
hare Om namah shivay
hare Om namah shivay
Om mane padmi hum
Om mane padmi hum
Om mane padmi hum
Om mane padmi hum
heh!
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 1 Year ago at 4/25/22 11:48 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 4/25/22 11:43 AM

Two points
1. When I investigated this practice at one time it felt that the right way to do them imho is to say syllables many times at once with multiple consciousnesses. That way it is multiple times more effective. Also neurons chanting mantras have less time for their typical distractions.

Also make them say this stuff by itself. Man should know how to train his/her neurons and besides it is the point for mind to know how to repeat this so why not go straight for the goal. Normally person has to chant it for hours on end to tire one set of neurons, then another set, etc. and with that make his mind be filled with these mantras... better to put more practice in to practice and have more practice with less practice and then because it works better do more practice and have vastly more practice.

2. Ni = represents patience and purifies want or desire
So true emoticon
Ni patiently purifies desires to make them so pure it is impossible to differentiate them from fulfillment.

Om Ni Hum
Om Ni Pad
Om Ni Ma
Om Ni Me

BTW. The way to experience syllables is to exactly think them with much more consciousnesses. For me the synesthetic effects are so weak I do not feel anything. That is until I do like I say to do it, then I experience these syllables, with enough of them on all senses.
Oskar M, modified 1 Year ago at 4/27/22 9:34 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 4/27/22 9:34 AM

Mantras are cool. If I may add how I see it. Om, same as you, it makes it all vibrate nicely especially the body. Hum I have been told make the nadis and aura area vibrate more too, so subconscious.  Mani and padme, is to me (and this is more losely interpretation)  avalokiteshvara. If you simply tune into avalokiteshvara, there is love and compassion, no need for mantras just be in that fountain of love and compassion, or using mantra, its the same thing. So if you divide it up, just om and hum, you wont feel the love in the same way (and these syllables are in all other mantras too). If you add hri, this makes the heart center vibrate, opening up the heart even more. You can go; hri, hri, hri, mani, mani, mani. And you will tweek up the loving. 

To me then its a matter of see how the you can keep the om and hum, and then put in the middle ami deva hri (amithaba + heart center) or some other buddha/boddhisatva figure, and this tunes you differently again.
Oskar M, modified 1 Year ago at 4/27/22 9:35 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 4/27/22 9:35 AM

When I got my spinning wheel, I had the land lords cat come visit me every day for a week or so. Also when I have done online retreat, the cat would notice ;) 
Oskar M, modified 1 Year ago at 4/27/22 9:59 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 4/27/22 9:59 AM

Bodhicatvas emoticon

Breadcrumb