RE: How is farting loudly in a meditation Hall akin to enlightenment?

Desert Sitting, modified 1 Year ago at 4/30/22 10:54 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 4/30/22 10:54 AM

How is farting loudly in a meditation Hall akin to enlightenment?

-It's an impermanent source of suffering that definitely wasn't me. 
shargrol, modified 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 7:39 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 7:39 AM

one of my favorite farting stories: http://thehamiltonproject.blogspot.com/2010/10/koan.html?q=fart  

I have often mused that kapok-filled zafus are actually "silencers" for vegetarian food toots. emoticon
genaro, modified 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 7:55 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 7:55 AM

whoopee zen cushion anyone?

acutally i was about to write that no-one was brave enough to engage with this and shargol (bless) got there first.

Ashley i like your attitude.  Perhaps if you find yourself in that hall, just go for the 'silent but deadly'.  Keep your poker face and repeat the mantra 'its wasnae me, it wasnae me'.  Or in sanskrit: 'Om farti-pants not-me hum'.  It will have a purifying effect.

There's satisfaction to be got from this, but it has limited sustain, so you're safe, and not holding it in and being a cripple is a wise move.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find a sutta reference to flatulence, it will educate us all.
Desert Sitting, modified 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 10:30 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 10:30 AM

my first retreat was a month ago and the majority of us were clearly *not* adapted to the strictly vegetarian cuisine served. The first few days were a riot of gut rumblings and desperate failed attempts at the silent release. I just had to laugh at my own embarrassment and let it go, figuratively and literally. 

Breadcrumb