Looking for a Guide/Teacher

thumbnail
Brato Ganibe, modified 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 12:02 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 12:02 PM

Looking for a Guide/Teacher

Hello all, 

I am looking for a guide/teacher to help me thru the murky waters of post-A&P/pre-SE. I've been reaching out to people for a month or so, but I've not had much luck, so I thought I would see if you guys had any suggestions.

I've been practicing for about 8 years, mostly doing Shinzen-style noting with some TWIM added in the last year. I had a formal teacher (one of Shinzen's early students) for years, but I decided to go it alone about 2 years ago because my progress seemed to be too slow for weekly sessions to be worth the money. Anyway, now it's clear that I need some type of one-on-one feedback, at least periodically, to help keep me on track.

I've been looking for someone who understands the language of the 16 stages and 4-path model, but who is also not soley committed to any one particular technique/style. I sometimes wonder if a more spacious approach may not be better for me, as I tend to fall into bearing down and striving quite easily. Or maybe a self-inquiry/non-dual perspective.

If any of you have suggestions, I would greatly appreciate you help!
​​​​​​​
Martin, modified 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 12:47 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 12:11 PM

RE: Looking for a Guide/Teacher

There are quite a few private teachers listed here: https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/21564331 I am still working with the teacher who I found from this list and I am still very happy with the way it is going. 

Edit: By the way, I thought I might mention that I talk to my teacher when I have a question, which is generally when I have worked through the instructions that he has given me, or when there has been a shift, which tends to be once every couple of months. We have no fixed schedule. I don't know how common this kind of setup is, but it works well for me and makes the financial burden of working with a teacher quite low. 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 12:16 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 12:16 PM

It sounds like Michael Taft might be a perfect match for you, but he is very expensive. 
thumbnail
Brato Ganibe, modified 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 1:20 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 1:20 PM

Michael was the first teacher I tried to reach out to because I also felt like he would be a great match, but his website states that he's no longer accepting one-on-one students. Still, I sent him a message but never got a response.
thumbnail
Brato Ganibe, modified 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 1:22 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 1:22 PM

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for...guidance with 'as needed' contact for clarification. Do you mind me asking who your teacher is and if you could share their contact info?
Martin, modified 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 1:56 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 1:56 PM

I work with Nick Grabovac. His contact info shows on his old website, though I don't think the courses on the website are offered anymore. He did his teacher training under Culadasa and then was a teacher trainer at that institute for some time, so concentration is a specialty for him, but he's not a hard-core TMI guy. For example, he told me there was no point in me reading it, and that I would do better reading the Manual of Insight. So he's pretty flexible. When I started with him, we did a no-charge 30-minute zoom to see if we fit. 

http://www.30daysofmindfulness.com/contact/
thumbnail
Brato Ganibe, modified 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 2:08 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/1/22 2:08 PM

Wonderful! Thank you!
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 1 Year ago at 5/2/22 2:13 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/2/22 2:13 AM

Oh, I see. Sorry to hear that. Yes, I believe he is quite busy with the new center he is building up together with Kati Devaney and others, and the courses that he teaches, and the students he already has, among other things. I bet he gets more emails than he can possibly catch up with, so don't take it personally. I wasn't aware that he has stopped taking on new one-on-one students, but it does make sense. Sorry. He is a great teacher. He took me to stream entry in six sessions. 
thumbnail
Niels Lyngsø, modified 1 Year ago at 5/2/22 3:18 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/2/22 3:18 AM

Hey Brato,

I have been working with Abre Fournier since January this year, and she is giving me good, tailormade guidance that has helped me progress significantly on the path. She was asked to teach by Kenneth Folk, so the "technical" four path model is her home turf, but she is not limited to that. I warmly recommend her.

emoticon Niels
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 1 Year ago at 5/4/22 6:31 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/4/22 6:31 AM

Brato Ganibe
Hello all, 

I am looking for a guide/teacher to help me thru the murky waters of post-A&P/pre-SE. I've been reaching out to people for a month or so, but I've not had much luck, so I thought I would see if you guys had any suggestions.

I've been practicing for about 8 years, mostly doing Shinzen-style noting with some TWIM added in the last year. I had a formal teacher (one of Shinzen's early students) for years, but I decided to go it alone about 2 years ago because my progress seemed to be too slow for weekly sessions to be worth the money. Anyway, now it's clear that I need some type of one-on-one feedback, at least periodically, to help keep me on track.

I've been looking for someone who understands the language of the 16 stages and 4-path model, but who is also not soley committed to any one particular technique/style. I sometimes wonder if a more spacious approach may not be better for me, as I tend to fall into bearing down and striving quite easily. Or maybe a self-inquiry/non-dual perspective.

If any of you have suggestions, I would greatly appreciate you help!
​​​​​​​
I do free coaching over video and phone on an ad hoc basis, depending on life doing what it does and my lazyness in general.
If you are interested read this -
Framework of Awakening
If this tickles your fancy then say yes and I'll reach out to you
We will chat and see if we mesh
Good Luck,
~D
Chrollo X, modified 1 Year ago at 5/4/22 9:54 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/4/22 9:54 AM

Your framework is cool, but what do you recommend in terms of practice? 
Chrollo X, modified 1 Year ago at 5/4/22 9:57 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/4/22 9:57 AM

I saw this teacher posting on r/TheMindIlluminated on Reddit w/ the handle u/awakeningispossible. She claims 4th path and has been teaching for about 15 years. She says she has helped many people awaken. She seems super legit: https://freeingourmind.com/about/
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 1 Year ago at 5/4/22 3:45 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/4/22 3:45 PM

Chrollo X Your framework is cool 
Thank you.

Chrollo X what do you recommend in terms of practice? 
That would depend on where you are at. Each attainment builds upon the previos one.
My pragmatic approach is as follows
1) Clear goal
2) Clear recipe/practice
3) Clear results
4) Willingness to share openly and pay it forward to others.

If you read carefully you may find some good direct pointing out of such an approach in my framework.
Though the maps and methods are somewhat fixed, coaching people really boils down to each persons strengths and abilities.
Hacking the brain to delete delusional subconscious processes is varied as each person is.
As always,
Good luck,
~D
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 1 Year ago at 5/6/22 10:54 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/6/22 10:54 AM

Chrollo X
I saw this teacher posting on r/TheMindIlluminated on Reddit w/ the handle u/awakeningispossible. She claims 4th path and has been teaching for about 15 years. She says she has helped many people awaken. She seems super legit: https://freeingourmind.com/about/

Just out of curiosity, where does she claim 4th path?  That's unusual for someone who was encouraged to teach monastics.  
Chrollo X, modified 1 Year ago at 5/6/22 11:27 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/6/22 11:25 AM

Noah D
Chrollo X

Just out of curiosity, where does she claim 4th path?  That's unusual for someone who was encouraged to teach monastics.  

Hi Noah, she mentions it in this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheMindIlluminated/comments/sgtmpu/comment/hv9d2p9/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

To clarify, it's unusual to claim attainments and teach monastics?

Breadcrumb