RE: I have a jhana focal point in the back of my head

Bruce Bentz, modified 1 Year ago at 5/2/22 1:00 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/2/22 1:00 AM

I have a jhana focal point in the back of my head

Hello,
I've been meditating for 4 years and for most of that time I've noticed a focal point in the back of my awareness.  I can direct pleasurable sensations and other meditation energy to this focal point and it dramatically increases their energy.  I was just recently told that this is an unconventional way to the first jhana.  
Is there a name for this focal point?
I was told that Daniel Ingram knows all about this and I should ask him.  Of course, how to do this was not specified, and I can't seem to find his email address lying about.
Are there other authors that I can ask about this phenomena?
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 1 Year ago at 5/2/22 1:07 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/2/22 1:07 AM

If you are referring to the back of your head as in the title, that's where the pineal gland is located. 
B B, modified 1 Year ago at 5/2/22 7:38 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/2/22 5:31 PM

Hi Bruce, more details would be helpful. Where exactly in the back of your head is this focal point? An illustration would be ideal. It could be the crown chakra.

Incidentally, the cyclic energy associated with the nanas has recently shifted for me so that it's now moving through the crown, and when fruitions occur, the energy jumps back to the upper part of the parietal lobe region. There's also a build up of energy in the frontal lobe above the third eye chakra. For years the energy would first gather in the prefrontal cortex and then expand around to the sides (temporal lobes) before jumping back after a fruition. I'm not sure what to make of this. It seemed that the cycling shifted to the crown only after a certain degree of nondual perception was locked in. It would be interesting if the crown chakra was already opened for you after 4 years.

I feel sensations of energy or pressure in different regions depending on the jhana, which are of course very closely associated with the vipassana nanas and cycling. For me, first jhana corresponds to a build up of energy at the prefrontal region, just behind the middle of the brow bone (i.e. third eye chakra). "The back of the head" could correspond to 7th or 8th jhana, 1st, 6th, 7th, or 8th pure land jhana, depending on the precise location of energy. This is just based on my experience with (light) jhanas. I suspect it would be easier to use the energy you're experiencing as a gateway to one of these jhanas, depending on its exact location. For example, with the energy gathered at the upper parietal lobe for me, it's actually straightforward to jump into a light 4th pure land jhana, because the location of the energy in that jhana is at that region.
Bruce Bentz, modified 1 Year ago at 5/3/22 1:05 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/2/22 9:29 PM

Hi there.  If I close my eyes and try to locate the focal point it would be about 6 inches behind the back of my head.  But in my awareness I don't have a solid feeling for where the back of my head is.  Moving backwards past my ears things get to be a bit nebulous.  But if I had to point to it, it's about 6 inches behind me centered a little bit higher than a line drawn straight from the middle of my eyes directly behind me.

This focal point started to appear about a year after I started meditating.  It was intermittent, but over time I developed it such that I can call it up at will.  I have general pleasant sensations arise during meditation and when I link them such as breathing into this focal point the piti really starts to rise.  I was on a retreat a few days ago and really tried to pour on the energy and the piti generated was very powerful.  I could only do this for a few minutes and then had to pull back and rest.

I've also linked this focal point to some of my vipassana meditations and also have seen an increase in intensity of the meditation.
thumbnail
Sigma Tropic, modified 1 Year ago at 5/3/22 12:53 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/3/22 12:53 AM

Bruce, I would listen to the wisdom within yourself. You have the answers to your own questions. 
thumbnail
Happy Like Me, modified 1 Year ago at 10/7/22 2:17 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/7/22 2:17 AM

It may be the bindu Visarga. Copied this text from yogapedia .com

Yogapedia explains Bindu Chakra
Bindu chakra lies at the back of the head about five inches from the top of the skull. When this chakra is not activated, it is similar to a dot, but when charged, the bindu chakra energy of vitality and health begins to flow. In the Tantric tradition, bindu chakra is thought to hold a special nectar (amrit) which helps the yogi reach enlightenment. Both shoulder stand and headstand are yoga postures which open the bindu chakra. Ujayii pranayama and khecari mudra are also useful in activating this chakra.Each chakra is a center of energy believed to affect the body on a physical, spiritual and emotional level. The benefits of opening the bindu chakra include improved eyesight, greater awareness through the awakening of the pineal gland, inner harmony and emotional balance. It also controls hunger and thirst, promoting healthy eating habits. It may relieve anxiety and depression, and expands creativity and imagination.Definition - What does Bindu Chakra mean?Bindu chakra is one of the centers of energy located throughout the body. It is not included within the traditional seven major chakras, but is sometimes called the eighth chakra and is located in the head. Bindu is a Sanskrit word meaning “point” or “dot” and symbolizes the point or source of all creation, whereas chakra means “wheel” or “disk.”Not mentioned in many schools of yoga, the bindu chakra is important in Tantra yoga for its healing properties. It is activated through meditation and certain asanas.
thumbnail
Happy Like Me, modified 1 Year ago at 10/7/22 2:17 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/7/22 2:17 AM

thumbnail
Happy Like Me, modified 1 Year ago at 10/7/22 2:30 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/7/22 2:30 AM

https://www.tantrasm.com/bindu-chakra-nectar-poison-chakra<br /> 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 1 Year ago at 10/7/22 3:33 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/7/22 3:33 AM

Oops, it appears that I was wrong earlier. Thanks for sharing! Interesting.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 1 Year ago at 10/7/22 3:38 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/7/22 3:38 AM

Correction: I was wrong about this. I must have heard something about awakening of the pineal gland associated with that area, as mentioned in a post below, and gotten the impression that the pineal gland itself was located there. Sorry for the confusion!
thumbnail
Happy Like Me, modified 1 Year ago at 10/7/22 4:30 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/7/22 4:30 AM

No worries Linda, we are here to help and learn from each other emoticon

Breadcrumb