RE: To anyone who may find it useful, including Daniel Ingram

Pavel Pek, modified 1 Year ago at 6/10/22 2:21 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/10/22 2:21 PM

To anyone who may find it useful, including Daniel Ingram

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFFFCDK/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1#customerReviews
shargrol, modified 1 Year ago at 6/11/22 5:32 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/11/22 5:32 AM

Since I dared to click, I might as well put the link info here... 

The Gurus, the Young Man, and Elder Paisios Kindle Edition
by Dionysios Farasiotis  (Author) 

This powerful memoir tells the story of a Greek youth who, out of a desire to know the truth empirically, began to experiment in yoga, hypnotism, and various occult techniques. Eventually drawn back to the Faith of his forefathers Orthodox Christianity he visited the ancient monastic republic of Mount Athos in his native Greece, where he was brought to a knowledge of the Truth of Jesus Christ by the saintly Elder Paisios (1924 1994). Nevertheless, believing he had only found part of the truth on the Holy Mountain, he chose to give the same opportunity to Hindu yogis that he had given to Elder Paisios and other Orthodox monks. Thus, at the age of twenty-five, he embarked on a trip to India, where he undertook his search in the ashrams of three famous gurus, one of whom was worshipped as a god. His experiences in India, along with his subsequent encounters with Elder Paisios on Mount Athos, are recounted in the present book in vivid detail. Popular in Greece since its first publication there in 2001, The Gurus, the Young Man, and Elder Paisios is a page-turning narrative of both outward adventures and inward struggles. What stands out most in this book, however, is the radiant image of Elder Paisios, possessed of divine gifts, laboring in prayer for his fellow man, and overflowing with unconditional love. Through this, one sees the uncreated Source of the elder s love and of the author s spiritual transformation: the true God-man Jesus Christ, Who honors man s personal freedom while drawing him, through love, into everlasting union with Himself.

Editorial ReviewsReviewThis book, written by a man dear to my heart, describes events he has personally experienced.… I too can testify to what he has written, because I was an eyewitness to many of the events that he describes: since I lived on the Holy Mountain at that time, I played a part in the development of his relationship with the righteous Elder Paisios.… Seeing the benefit that so many have received from this book, I truly rejoice and bless the name of God, Who made us worthy to see firsthand this saint of our days, Elder Paisios --Metropolitan Athanasios of Limassol, Cyprus --This text refers to the paperback edition.
thumbnail
Josef C, modified 1 Year ago at 6/11/22 8:57 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/11/22 7:43 AM

Forgive me for being kind of averse but what  are your main takeaways from this book and why would you recommend it ? Unfortunately I have  seen some Amazon reviews which mention spiritual dangers resulting from  non christian religions or mention yoga alongside the demonic practices.
shargrol, modified 1 Year ago at 6/11/22 8:17 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/11/22 8:17 AM

(just for clarity, I haven't read nor endorse the book... I'm just adding what Pavel should have included instead of just providing an Amazon link. emoticon )
thumbnail
Josef C, modified 1 Year ago at 6/11/22 8:57 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/11/22 8:57 AM

Oh I am sorry Shargrol  for the misunderstanding but I meant to send reply to Pavel and  ask for his reasons besides the link.
Pavel Pek, modified 1 Year ago at 6/11/22 2:14 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/11/22 2:14 PM

I shared because I think the book clarifies that maybe Buddhism/Hinduism (and other eastern traditions) is not the completely superior form of spirituality in comparison to the spiritually "lower-level Christians" as is now the traditional consensus between virtually all western spiritual seekers, but that it may be the other way around.
Derek2, modified 1 Year ago at 6/11/22 4:09 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/11/22 4:09 PM

Looks interesting. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
thumbnail
Josef C, modified 1 Year ago at 6/11/22 11:02 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/11/22 11:02 PM

Personally as a person living in a Christian majority country and who has been into christianity for most of my life before I find mainly the prescriptions are praying and do good to stay in heaven in the afterlife forever.Although I do believe too that there are different ways to end suffering and that Buddhism and Hinduism doesnt have a monopoly on it. When I look at Western spirituality which may lead to enlightnment I can see Thelema, Hermeticism, Gnosticism and the teachings of Parmenides among others to be different ways of seeing that can free a person from suffering.To each their own I suppose. 
thumbnail
Wayne Conner, modified 1 Year ago at 6/12/22 3:08 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/12/22 3:08 PM

While I have nothing against people wanting to practice Christianity, looking at the kindle preview of this title on Amazon, it appears to be little more than a polemic against pagan and eastern religions. You are certainly welcome to your own opnions but as a reading recomendation to people on the path of spiritual development in the eastern and western esoteric traditions, I don't see where this is very useful, unless your intention is trying to convert people.

Breadcrumb