RE: Why does the mind seem to hate concentration

Rousseau Matt, modified 1 Year ago at 1/8/23 4:54 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/18/22 4:03 PM

Why does the mind seem to hate concentration

In the coarse of an hour meditation  ,I seem to get lost in meaningless daydreams.  Conversations I had earlier or what about work tomorrow.  I can't seem to let the stupid shit go. And when I catch myself  ,it seems like I have to tear myself away and go back to the breath.    In a nutshell    I seem to get bored.  Should I try loving kindness. Would focusing  on a person and wishing them happiness  and beauty have good effects.    Can someone reach jhana that way. 
​​​​​​​
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 1 Year ago at 6/18/22 4:18 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/18/22 4:18 PM

We all have that problem. It sounds like you're letting it become a bigger obstacle than it might otherwise be. Try to relax and observe your wandering mind as if you're at the zoo watching the animals. When you see your mind wandering, celebrate - that's what you're supposed to see. Then just calmly go back to observing. Do this over and over again, staying relaxed and observant.
shargrol, modified 1 Year ago at 6/18/22 5:18 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/18/22 5:18 PM

Rather than thinking that your mind is defective, just notice how it IS concentrating... but concentrating on stupid shit.

Mostly practice is necessary to slowly understand that the stuff we're concentrating on is stupid stuff... and then it starts looking for something better. 

I don't think there has been a single meditator in existance that simply enjoyed the dharma and only thought wholesome thoughts. All of us started off with addiction to "excitement" and "stupid shit"... but after watching our mind closely in meditation we realized, hey this is all empty entertainment and meaningless drama.

The mind is sort of like a dumb lizard. It has to go through a painful and stupid phase before it starts seeking a better way to be.

It sucks, but that's just the way it works.
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 1 Year ago at 6/19/22 4:23 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 6/19/22 4:23 AM

Matt Jon Rousseau
In the coarse of an hour meditation  ,I seem to get lost in meaningless daydreams.  Conversations I had earlier or what about work tomorrow.  I can't seem to let the stupid shit go. And when I catch myself  ,it seems like I have to tear myself away and go back to the breath.    In a nutshell    I seem to get bored.  Should I try loving kindness. Would focusing  on a person and wishing them happiness  and beauty have good effects.    Can someone reach jhana that way. 
​​​​​​​

The biggest cause of poor concentration in meditation are the effects of stress in daily life. If you are being stalked by a lion it is beneficial to be fixated on the lion. However if you had a fight with your boss you might be fixated on what happened when you sit down to meditate.

I prepare for meditation by first doing relaxation exercises that are also a kind of meditation. They reduce the effects of stress.

http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2020/08/preparing-for-meditation-with.html

Breadcrumb