Freestyle noting aloud log- LJ

thumbnail
L J, modified 6 Days ago at 6/21/22 12:27 PM
Created 6 Days ago at 6/21/22 12:27 PM

Freestyle noting aloud log- LJ

Hey everyone, as advice from Papa che, I will be starting a new log. My plan is to do freestyle noting aloud (mahasi style) for at least 45 mins daily, maybe I will up it to two practices a day but for now I am keeping at one just to get some consistency going, any input or advice from anyone on here is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lotemoticon
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 6 Days ago at 6/21/22 3:08 PM
Created 6 Days ago at 6/21/22 3:08 PM

RE: Freestyle noting aloud log- LJ

Just to say Best Wishes! emoticon 

Can you tell us how do you start your sit? Like what do you say before each sit. What is your intention? Or do you just start immediately with the practice? 

​​​​​​​
thumbnail
L J, modified 3 Days ago at 6/24/22 8:16 AM
Created 3 Days ago at 6/24/22 8:16 AM

Hey, sorry for not replying for a while. Been busy as hell with work at the moment so didn't have any time to practice properly until today since it is my day off. Anyway, to answer your question papa che, I usually start with saying, "I am now going to practice freestyle noting aloud for the sake of attaining full awakening some day in the future or any other possible good that this practice may reap, for the benefit of myself and all beings". So far today I have sat for an hour. I simply started with 20 minutes of shamatha: whereby on the in breath i mentally noted "in" and on the outbreath i mentally noted "one" up to ten and repeated. Then I began with freestyle noting aloud (eyes closed in this case). I started with "there is..." noting to feel out the mind terrain and sped up or slowed down accordingly. There was a lot of doubt thtorughout this sit but i noted it. for some reason I can't wrap my head around how this practice will get me awakening, but I know it will from the many others that have had success with this method so stuck with it. there was also a lot of desire for enlightenment which was noted. generally nothing interesting this sit, just lots of resistance and wishing i was doing something else. I also had a lot of doubt as to whether I should be looking to see the three characteristics within each sensation that I note, but this feels very difficult as the sensations are occuring quite quickly and so Is the noting. Should I try to look for the three characteristics intentionally? or just note as fast as i can and let the three characteristics show themselves? Thanks emoticon
George S, modified 3 Days ago at 6/24/22 10:28 AM
Created 3 Days ago at 6/24/22 10:28 AM

When sensations are coming thick and fast (typical in A&P nana) there isn't really time to do detailed noting, or trying to do that disrupts the flow of experience. It's more like noting (or simply noticing) 'blip, gone, blip, gone ...' When in the slower nanas it's easier to note or investigate the 3 characteristics in more detail and deconstruct sense objects. It feels quite intentional and laborious at first, but it becomes easier with practice. Eventually it's just kind of hardwired into your brain to notice that any attempt to construe permanence or a self/identity in your experience immediately leads to dukkha, whereas in the absence of such clinging present moment experience is automatically self-liberating.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Days ago at 6/24/22 10:47 AM
Created 3 Days ago at 6/24/22 10:47 AM

When sensations are coming thick and fast...

My experience is that it is very rare for sensations not to be coming thick and fast  emoticon
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 3 Days ago at 6/24/22 1:05 PM
Created 3 Days ago at 6/24/22 1:05 PM

Thanks LJ for sharing! That's a good intention! 

It's great you are noting doubt and desire for enlightenment. All these are matter of fact experiences arising and passing. 

Look up those 4 (or was it 5 short vids by Kenneth Folk) where he breaks down Noting into; sense doors (body), mental images/impressions, feeling tones, mind states. 

This is very important to get the mind see how dependent origination is happening. This is what you are awakening to with the help of Noting aparatus. 

Be very interested in what comes after any passed away object. What follows after it, and after that one etc ... one after the other. Mind will know the 3C's. You just be interested and intimate with matter of fact arise-passings. 

You will have the chance to see all this in finer detail when in Review Stage later on emoticon So relaxed but steady; one after the other for the duration of minimum 45 minutes. Once every day.

Keep the body sensations as a main coming back to. Notice those itches, pains, vibrations, numbness, ... see if there are any image impressions of all these or any of these present in the minds image space etc ... 

Lots of interesting stuff to be seen emoticon 

Best wishes LJ! And may you awaken! 
thumbnail
L J, modified 11 Hours ago at 6/27/22 10:50 AM
Created 11 Hours ago at 6/27/22 10:50 AM

Thank you all for your comments so far! Had a weekend off since I worked 7am-5:30pm saturday and then went to see my mother on sunday. I don't have work till wednesday now so I am planning to get some sits in! so far today i sat for an hour and let me just say this sit was horrible. started with 20 mins of concentration which I paused 13 minutes in to change my posture because I was in a lot of pain, carried on until 20 minutes and then switched to noting aloud. There was lots of aversion, doubt, and just annoyance with the method...feeling like nothing happening. Anyways I tried my best to accept this and carried on. I was able to see impermanence in some sensations and no self in others here and there, realised that the eye balls were a big centre in my experience as it seemed by eyes were projecting out awareness and looking at other sensations, when really the eyes are just another set of sensations which are aware of themselves like all of the other sensations. Aversion got so high at 10 minutes I checked the timer and then just carried on for the last few minutes of the session. hoping to sit for another hour tonight later in the evening! i will keep you all updated

Breadcrumb