Diagnosis re Recent Experience

thumbnail
Mike Knapp, modified 12 Years ago at 11/5/11 7:03 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 11/5/11 7:03 PM

Diagnosis re Recent Experience

Hi All,

I was meditating today and had an experience that was foreign to me. Any diagnosis aid would be much appreciated!

The Experience: I was watching the breath and began to feel a pressure between my eyebrows and a sort of sustained vibration/shivery sensation throughout my body. I shifted my awareness to "shivery sensation" and observed it pulse in intensity in a non-linear way - it was almost as if my awareness of the sensation was flickering at a high rate of speed. The sensation it produced in me was a strange mixture of giddiness and nausea. In fact I became quite nauseous. I dropped in and out of this state for about half an hour.

What was this?
thumbnail
Daniel Johnson, modified 12 Years ago at 11/8/11 7:58 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 11/8/11 7:58 PM

RE: Diagnosis re Recent Experience

Mike Knapp:

What was this?

I'm not an expert or anything, and this post provides a rather limited amount of information about your practice, but I noticed your post had been up for a few days without any comment, so here's my best answer:

What you describe is called an experience. An experience is made up of sensations. These sensations (similar to all sensations) are arising and passing, they don't satisfy, and they aren't "me".

helpful?

- Daniel
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 12 Years ago at 11/10/11 1:56 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 11/10/11 1:56 AM

RE: Diagnosis re Recent Experience (Answer)

Very likely early A&P territory: see the thread: diagnosing the A&P at the top of recent posts.

Enjoy that and what comes after it,

Daniel
thumbnail
Mike Knapp, modified 12 Years ago at 11/10/11 11:49 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 11/10/11 11:49 AM

RE: Diagnosis re Recent Experience

Thanks for the help, Gentlemen. I'll review the A&P information! Thanks again!

- Mike