New Kadampa too different from Theravada/Insight?

david harding, modified 12 Years ago at 11/7/11 3:34 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 11/7/11 3:34 PM

New Kadampa too different from Theravada/Insight?

I started practicing about a year ago with primary interest in the Theravada/Insight tradition and am at the point where I should have a teacher.

I am struggling to find a local support group/teacher. There is either a peer-lead group that does not seem to have a teacher, or a New Kadampa center. New Kadampa seems a bit different from Theravada, but at least the local New Kadampa center has a resident teacher. My question: is it worth using the New Kadampa center while trying to keep Theravada/Insight as my primary practice? Or, is that form a practice too different from Theravada/Insight?

So, I realize that this is a tough question without knowing me, but I appreciate any thoughts you might have. If I conclude that New Kadampa would be inappropriate for me, I will work on my alternative which is a not-so-local IMC center that is a bit over an hour away.

Thanks!
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 12 Years ago at 11/7/11 5:32 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 11/7/11 5:32 PM

RE: New Kadampa too different from Theravada/Insight? (Answer)

I can tell you that having sat a little bit at a Kadampa center long ago, they are into their thing, and so if you go there you should meet them on their own terms as best you can, which is good general advice for all groups.

Particularly worth knowing is that they will likely reflexively make the Theravada=Hinayana Association, contrast that with "their" Mahayana, make a split in their minds by the standard comparison tendency, and then approach what you say from that point of view unless things are played carefully. This is just because they get so much of that and thus conditioning comes into play.

Knowing this, you might be careful about disclosing background or Theravadan influence initially until you get where they are coming from, assuming you go in the Kadampa direction.

As the man said, it is interesting to draw from various perspectives, as at least you will then be somewhat culturally fluent for later dialogue at the very least, and you may gain something from the practices and perspectives also, as for all the trappings and transposed cultural oddities, most of the traditions have good stuff buried under all that somewhere.

Daniel
david harding, modified 12 Years ago at 12/1/11 7:16 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/1/11 7:16 PM

RE: New Kadampa too different from Theravada/Insight?

Thanks!

Breadcrumb