RE: Psychic connections.

Rousseau Matt, modified 1 Year ago at 1/8/23 4:54 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/17/22 2:17 AM

Psychic connections.

Do people feel more connected  with others  after attaining the jhanas. Does it feel like jhana connects one with a collective unconscious (as jung would say)
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 1 Year ago at 8/17/22 2:22 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/17/22 2:22 AM

Not necessarily, but there can be such phases. Does it say anything about some ultimate truth? I don't think anybody knows. The experience can occur. Just don't try to solidify it. 
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 1 Year ago at 8/17/22 1:42 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/17/22 1:02 PM

Matt Jon Rousseau
Do people feel more connected  with others  after attaining the jhanas. Does it feel like jhana connects one with a collective unconscious (as jung would say)

I didn't notice any change in connectedness from soft jhanas. I think ordinary meditation will help with connectedness, but there is nothing special about the jhanas. I've written about some of my psychic experiences here: https://sites.google.com/site/chs4o8pt/psi_experience

I've had some experiences with chakra meditation that suggest it is particularly helpful but it's hard to do controlled experiments so I'm not 100% sure on that. And I think any effects might be explained by the visualization and relaxation involved in the technique rather than in mystical properties of the chakars.

Visualization has been found to promote theta brainwaves and theta brainwaves have been found to be associated with psychic experiences.

https://sites.google.com/site/chs4o8pt/natural_mediumship#h.w6bohovvk6v1

UPDATE: Before I even knew the term Jhana I would have feelings of bliss and connectedness so, yes, piti can make you "feel" connected - when you are happy you are not defensive, you don't put up barriers between yourself and non-self, any barriers become weakened. But I never associated it with any objective phenomenon (psychic phenomena) that I was more connected when I was in that state. 

So from the point of view of understanding connectedness, seeing through the illusion of a separate self, I think the jhanas were helpful, but not in the way of siddhis or that type of phenomena.  (By "illusion of a separate self" I don't mean connectedness is objectively true, I mean separation is just an opinion.)

(Also, as I indicated above, experiences of connectedness can be meaningful and insghtful, so I think dimissing them to the miscellaneous category of A/P is unhelpful - that's another peeve I have with POI.)

Breadcrumb