Val's Log

Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 8/19/22 4:01 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/19/22 4:01 PM

Val's Log

Greetings meditators.
I’ve been considering putting a little worklog here in case someone here might have some valuable tips to share, or if I may contribute something by my experiences.

I’ve been in the dukkha nanas for about seven years, with short glimses of Equanimity recently.

My main practice used to be reichian work, and that’s what got me to Arising and Passing, as that type of bodywork does release ”kundalini”. A few years ago I heard about the stages, read MCTB, and have been getting more into noting meditation practice.

My goal is stream entry.Shorter term goal is to get the fuck outta the Night and into Equanimity.
My current main practices are noting and qigong. I have tried quite a lot of different stuff before that.
With the noting, I usually focus on the body and one of the three characteristics. I do monosyllabic noting at a pace of about 1-3 times a second. I have experienced clear changes in consciousness during and after doing this.

I have been reading The Mind Illuminated recently and trying out that approach too, applied to the noting. I'm not sure yet how that structure fits me.

I'm still kind of searching my way and constructing my diligent meditation practice. I do like the noting and probably want to build the practice around that.
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 8/20/22 6:12 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/20/22 6:12 PM

RE: Val's Log

An example of what my daily practice is like right now.

It's night time. I usually stay up late, and I've figured the night is the best time to meditate, so that's what I'm setting up as a routine for the time being.

I laid down on a mat and set a meditation timer for 45 minutes. I started with a pretty quick run through the four-part preparation from TMI. (Present moment -> Body -> Breath -> Sensations of breath in the nostrls)
Then I noted physical sensations appearing, and focused on the no-self aspect, that they just appear on their own and are not me.

I've been mostly doing reclining practice... Partly due to laziness, it's just the easiest way for me to get started with meditation. I've also felt good with reclining because I can usually maintain decent focus like that, I have pretty high energy and I don't fall asleep easily. But I don't stay alert every time, like today my mind did get sleepy.

I do think it will be good to include sitting meditation in half-lotus or something like that. And I wish for my practice to evolve from this and to perhaps get more disciplined and structured with it. Right now I'm just holding on the TMI Stage 1 principle of maintaining a daily meditation routine of at least half an hour a day (or night).
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 8/21/22 6:18 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/21/22 6:18 PM

I read about the Five Spiritual Faculties and realized that one of them that I lack is faith.

This comes up especially at the mentally toughest moments when my mood is low. I often get a lot of doubt if what I’m experiencing is Dark Night, or if it’s just that my life is fucked, and life in general is fucked. I have possibly underestimated how much the Night amplifies all the negative feelings like futility, cynicism, etc.
I have (at my more rational moments) worked out that these kinds of feelings may be a sign that I’m in Reobservation. I once came up with an analogy, based in a mixture of reading MCTB and reflecting on my own experiences, that Reobservation is like a thick, black brick wall with a sign saying ”You can’t go past this”, it’s a dead end. But then Equanimity happens, and I indeed don’t go through the wall, but instead I levitate up and transcend the wall.
I don’t have enough experience of the stages to say for sure how accurate that analogy is, but it’s come to my mind. In any case, I've so far spent more time being pressed against that wall than transcending it.
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 8/22/22 1:30 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/22/22 1:30 PM

I like to have some insight practice to do in ordinary life situations. Today it's been classic Mahasi style noting, not getting fast or geeky with it, but just slow and steady common stuff like noting "stepping", "movement", "warmth" etc. Another option could be Maharsi style self-inquiry, but I've noticed I prefer that the verbal mind has something to do, otherwise I lose focus more easily. Although the noting can be used in a self-inquiry way too, eg. noting "not me" on whatever sensations seem to be me.
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 8/23/22 2:01 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/23/22 1:58 PM

Again today, during doing more regular life things I've been keeping up a gentle light of awareness with either basic noting or self-inquiry... It doesn't feel as fast progress as intense focused noting meditation, but it's something. So one thing I'm working on is being in the habit of becoming more aware, using these tools I've learned.

The sense of having a self feels kind of annoying, partly seeing that it's not true at least in the sense that I've thought it is, but also not being able let go of it just like that. But it's also probably seemingly comforting and secure and familiar, and letting go of the sense of self just like that would be the opposite of that. So it's possibly a good thing to have it happen graudually.
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 8/23/22 3:45 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/23/22 2:14 PM

I'm an anonymous person in the internet and I feel my opinion is so important it needs to be stated:

If someone is serious about awakening and meditation, they will be better off also doing effective energy practice along with it, like reichian bodywork or qigong.

This is just based in my own experience. It would have been, and it was, much more difficult to try to get into meditation practice before dealing with the blocks of the physical and energetic body first. So I couldn't even imagine trying to walk this path with only meditation and not including the (energy) body.

Stating it like this could be oversimplification and there may exceptions or factors that I'm not thinking of right now. It's just that I've wondered that this isn't talked about or mentioned in many contexts. I've under the impression that a lot of buddhists and taoists also did qigong, and the hindus of course had yogic practices, etc.
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 8/23/22 5:16 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/23/22 5:16 PM

Summarizing something important of my case here:

I am regularly, several times a week, falling into near-psychotic breaks of intense anger and despair. This has been going on for years. I had a traumatic childhood with incompetent parents, and it's showing. And I'm trying everything I can. Therapies, not sure how hopeful I am of those. Tried meds and they just made things worse. Meditation to pass the DN, I'm obviously doing that as I'm here. So a question that arises often is why the fuck am I not getting into Equanimity?
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 8/23/22 5:21 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/23/22 5:21 PM

I also often have desires and thoughts and seemingly very strong pull to take extremely "un-skillful actions" that I don't want to specify here. But you can maybe guess... yeah, the bad shit. But I have not acted those out, at least not the really bad parts.
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 8/24/22 6:54 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/24/22 6:54 PM

Dear Log, this night I'm trying to figure out how to get into Equanimity by figuring out what Equanimity actually is.

There is space. A space of consciousness. Reality consists of sensations that blink in and out of that space, they don't satisfy and they're not me. This I have been investigating for myself and am able to see it to at least some degree.

So,  Equanimity has to do with kind of resting in this truth of what is going on, of being more in that space than sucked into the appearances (that are not solid, and are not me or mine, and definitely are not a source of lasting satisfaction.) So this requires a certain degree of firsthand experience of the truth of what's going on. I think have enough of that awareness by now. I can kind of tune into it at will. So, usually when I do focused noting for example, I quickly get into that space where things feel lighter. Or rather just recognize what is actually going on, and that feels spacious and lighter.

But. In daily life still often forget that and get lost in the mind stories and emotions, which have leaning on the dark and painful side for many years now. The hard PTSD-related mood swings especially seem to throw me off, so I have at times been worried if that might be an obstacle to Equanimity. Or maybe just a challenge. But if the thing is that they're all just appearances, and Equanimity is more about the relation to appearances than the appearances themselves, then I suppose it should be possible to stay Equanimous even if that includes the nervous system getting overactive, etc.

I think I've gotten to Equanimity stage a few times within the couple past years. Sometimes it had to do with some body oriented practices, as a result of them a mild surrendering and freedom happened. But that didn't last very long.

The longest (like maybe a day or two at a time) and most obvious Equanimity I've had happened when I was actively reading MCTB2 and applying the teachings, mostly by doing a lot of noting or just staying loosely mindful and noticing. I found out that it's important to balance those two, the aggressive focused meditation and gentle letting go and being aware. It's kind of like with physical fitness both working out and rest are important.

Anyways, since I've had the best results in this regard by reading MCTB and applying it, it makes sense to me to do more of that. Writing and reading other people's experiences here is one way of supporting that.
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 8/25/22 5:30 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/25/22 5:30 PM

About qigong:

Over the last decade I've tried a few different styles. I've always been very interested in the possibilities of qigong, as it produces real results (=energy!) very quickly, so it's obviously real stuff. But I never got very far with it, mainly because I was so focused in the Reichian bodywork, and I feel those energies don't necessarily mix well.

Finally within the past year I've gotten more in touch with my intuition, and that intuition guided me to a certain qigong style. Simultaneously, because of placing the emphasis of qigong, I've also cut the "Reichian" work to bare minimum, if even that. I finally I feel the qigong is fitting me. The style is well balanced and there's wisdom behind it. (I hesitate to say what style it is because I'm not here to advertise any specific teachers or anything like that.)

So I'm just logging here in the log that I'm now about three months into daily qigong practice. I began with some movements and qigong massage. Within the past month I added the Microcosmic Orbit, which is a very interesting practice. Very powerful too. It's easy to do too much. So I just tune into my intuition and follow it's guidance on how much to do. Everything else, the qigong movements, I can do as much as I want and I haven't "overdosed" on it.

So far the effects I've noticed are that my body feels clearly stronger, like more firm and solid. My mood is also better, although that's relative in my case. Some effects on the negative side have been that it's brought up some emotional issues, like upset about a specific relationship conflict from years ago that I hadn't thought of as much before I started qigong. And if I've done too much Microcosmic Orbit I've gotten too much energy in the head, causing neuroses and negative moods to amplify. I believe this is just a matter of doing just the right amount, consistently.

All in all I'm intrigued by exploring qigong more deeply now. My health (neither physical nor mental) is not at a very good level and my energy is not in balance, and I'm choosing qigong as my main self-help attempt in healing that, alongside with receiving external help.
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 8/26/22 11:57 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/26/22 11:57 AM

I think I've been swinging between Equanimity and Reobseration today...

I try set my attitude to letting go, thinking of the stages more like weathers or seasons that change on their own. While continuing to practice steadily.
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 8/26/22 1:24 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/26/22 1:24 PM

Today might have actually been a little bit of a bad day if I had lost myself in it. There were several things going on that would typically make me go "this fucking sucks", and those kinds of thoughts did occur. But doing noting in daily life, like as a passanger in car or walking in some gardens, quickly shifted me to being more free from the content, and being more in Equanimity, and less reactive to the nuisances.
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 8/27/22 9:07 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/27/22 9:07 AM

Today I've been combining insight practice and being in nature. Sitting and watching the water, noticing impermanence. I need the outdoors more than sitting still inside, I think. Better for health. Doing this I'm testing out the theory that anything can be an object of insight meditation. And yeah, why not, as long as you can focus in on the raw truth of what's happening and not get lost in the content. Watching flowers, bees and butterflys, noting "does not satisfy."
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 8/28/22 4:44 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/28/22 4:36 PM

Falling back to Reobservation. Had near psychotic scene after not getting sleep all night. Afterwards in a better mood and possibly in early EQ, it seems to me, like "Well, sounds like textbook Dark Night of the Soul stuff." But within the experience, my attitude often leans towards "Nope, this is real, not just Dark Night. It really just is so that God a horrible sadistic monster and life is terrible, I'm not being melodramatic at all." Yup, I have done what Ingram calls "dark jhana." One thing I've learned from it is that you can indeed start believing in things you repeat out loud or in your mind enough times. I do wish I had practiced that first with believes that serve me better.

Walking meditation tonight (after cooling out with some friends after my freak out), was surprisingly effective. Focused on the sensations on the bottom of feet, noticing impermanence. My focus and attention wasn't greatly stable, but apparently it was enough to do something, because the rest of the walk I continued with semi-relaxed, semi-intentional floating awareness of impermanence all around.

I think I should place a lot of emphasis on walking meditation. I've noticed that forcing my body to stay still indoors to meditate has often worsened my moods. Walking outdoors is usually better, if I can just get myself going.
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 9/5/22 9:15 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 9/5/22 9:15 AM

Question that has been popping up a lot for me is
How to stop doing "dark jhana"
and how to reverse the effects.

​​​​​​​
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 9/5/22 9:22 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 9/5/22 9:22 AM

For me the dark jhana has been, wallowing in thoughts like, life is inherently bad, God must be evil, things aren't geting better etc. And then things like, I can't go on any longer, I can't and won't wait any longer, and as solution to those indulging in thoughts of escaping through drugs and suicide.

I have learned that focusing in those thoughts does make them stronger, in that I believe in them more easily, and they're more likely to reappear again.
George S, modified 1 Year ago at 9/5/22 11:42 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 9/5/22 11:42 AM

Hi Val.

Since you know that you’re wallowing in thoughts and you have a choice how much to feed them and believe in them, what does that say about the relationship between you and your thoughts?
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 9/5/22 5:31 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 9/5/22 5:31 PM

Hi George

I wouldn't fully agree that I have a choice on how much I feed and believe in my thoughts. My experience has actually been quite contrary. I get into bad states where I feel quite powerless over how I think and act, and self-destructive aspects of the personality get more in control. That would be a complex issue to get more into detail about, but I think that's due to unresolved traumatized aspects of psyche, amplified by DN, and lacking foundation in morality training (getting a grip on my thoughts and actions).

Due to my experiences I have a bit more sympathy for people who do bad things. It's not merely a matter of self-control.

As to your question: I guess the darker thoughts and behaviors seem somehow helpful for me. Maybe the only helpful choice in the low state. And they are in some way, but only in very short term. But I guess a lot, if not all of the wrong action in the world is due to misguided attempts to reduce suffering for oneself.
George S, modified 1 Year ago at 9/6/22 7:15 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 9/6/22 7:04 AM

When these thoughts and behaviors/urges come up, try to focus on the underlying feelings as physical sensations in the body. The thoughts & behaviors are really just the result of the feelings trying to get attention. The more you can give attention to the feelings directly, the less need there is for reactive thought/behavior patterns.
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 9/11/22 7:03 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 9/11/22 7:03 AM

I have a non-serious dream that one day I'll make it through this and make an extreme metal album called "Reobservation." The vibes and thoughts would directly translate to that. During the DN I have particularly resonated with metal music, and it has been somewhat helpful.
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 9/11/22 9:19 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 9/11/22 9:19 AM

It's a bummer I feel so depressed it's pretty difficult for me to get out of bed and do anything. Although I do manage to do that even every day, but not very much. I have been more or less depressed for over a decade...

A possible way to flip that to positive is that at least I can do noting or mantra meditation while laying down, since I have learned those and know of their value. It certainly feels better than just allowing the very heavy and dark rumination to go on. If I just remember to do it... I guess there is something seductive about the dark thoughts since wallowing in them happens so much, so sometimes it also gets to be so much I see it's better to just distract myself with something if I can.
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 9/11/22 9:30 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 9/11/22 9:30 AM

I noticed that mantra is easier, and does make me feel better and have other effects. Different mantras really do have different effect, something that would have been hard for me to believe if I didn't experience it for myself. And I guess a mantra can be an object for concentration practice.
Val Keinen, modified 1 Year ago at 9/12/22 7:40 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 9/12/22 7:40 PM

I used kratom most of this summer... Today I ran out and felt both really shittier but fresher, less lethargic.

Noting suffering while chopping wood.

At one moment during the evening, while in the feelbad I've been in, remembered Ingrams words "cool thing about reality is that we only have to deal with it one passing microsecond at a time", paraphrasing, and then went to kind of noticing arising and passing and had some degree of relief.

Noting yearning for equanimity while on a walk. Then crying quite a lot, probably emotional release due to suppressing emotions artificially with kratom and also lowered mood from withdrawal.