Need help finding a teacher in Hawaii

Bradley Sampson, modified 1 Year ago at 9/18/22 7:52 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 9/18/22 7:52 PM

Need help finding a teacher in Hawaii

I'm moving from Oahu, Hawaii from Japan in a couple months and want to know if y'all know of any qaulity teachers in the Hawaii area? I have been meditating on and off for last 10 years but have gotten really serious the last few months. I meditate about an hour daily and sometimes more and things are starting to happen and would love to have the guidance of a teacher.A in person teacher would be ideal but even remotely would definately work as well.

Thanks all for your time and any help
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 1 Year ago at 9/18/22 8:22 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 9/18/22 8:22 PM

RE: Need help finding a teacher in Hawaii

I don't know.

these ppl are probably legit mahasi style - https://vipassanahawaii.org/about/teachers/

I wouldn't show up expecting any open discourse on the progress of insight. But if you showed up regularly for say, 6 months or a year, the topic could probably be softly/gradually broached in 1-1 conversations with a teacher.

I also saw the chozen-ji rinzai temple there.  That's the same tradition that meido Moore teaches in & I like his exposition about rinzai , it's a little more pragmatic -oriented.
Bradley Sampson, modified 1 Year ago at 9/18/22 11:51 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 9/18/22 11:51 PM

Thanks you so much for taking the time to respond to my inquiry Noah. This was helpful and I'll check out these links and info.
shargrol, modified 1 Year ago at 9/19/22 11:13 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 9/19/22 11:13 AM

I've done a retreat at IMS that was co-led by Michele McDonald, she definitely knows her stuff. That would be on my short list for checking out, but it's really important to find someone that is a good match for you.

These folks will not likely talk about maps and paths and whatnot, but it can be so helpful to talk with someone who knows the territory.

Wishing you a good non-culty teacher and sangha for your growth and development! Best wishes!!
Bradley Sampson, modified 1 Year ago at 9/25/22 6:27 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 9/25/22 6:27 PM

Thanks Shargrol I will check this out!

Breadcrumb