RE: Thank You, Arahat Daniel!

John Campbell, modified 1 Year ago at 10/25/22 7:36 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/24/22 8:46 PM

Thank You, Arahat Daniel!

So, when I signed up for a site that, true enough, is called an 'overground', I didn't realise I'd be walking into an attempt to trap me in a cohesion contract with Liferay [on the part of Liferay itself, not site admin], nor that the screenname function doesn't operate as it's expected to, nor that the controls surrounding posts don't work in an intuitive way.  I'll refrain from calling this outfit a blatantly deceptive data-gathering operation... Oh, wait.  That's exactly how it seems to me.

The admin of Dharmaoverground.org may or may not be aware of the above as areas that users might be sensitive over, because people have different attitudes towards their inner lives being publicized, but some sort of heads-up that there is basically no control over this sort of account once created, nor data once entered, would fulfil the basic requirements of courtesy, from my own perspective.

So, thanks for having me, but this definitely isn't the kind of platform I want to support.  That is, dharmaoverground2.0 is a great idea, but what an awful host you've chosen for it!

Cheers!
thumbnail
SushiK, modified 1 Year ago at 10/24/22 9:25 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/24/22 9:25 PM

FYI, I'm no admin and I can see your post :-)
Also I'm not sure there are settings on this forum for your post to ONLY appear to select members.

Have a nice day
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 1 Year ago at 10/24/22 9:48 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/24/22 9:48 PM

All posts are public
John Campbell, modified 1 Year ago at 10/25/22 5:34 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/25/22 5:34 AM

Hmm, then what does the "Permissions; Viewable By:" function actually do? 
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 1 Year ago at 10/25/22 7:44 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/25/22 7:44 AM

John, Liferay is a confusing, confounding, and complex platform. It's really a very powerful ERP platform, but it's not very good at hosting message boards, which is about 1% of its intent and capability. If Daniel Ingram were to start over with DhO he'd choose another hosting system, not Liferay. I know 'cause we've talked about it. But for now, we're here on Liferay and trying to make the best of it. We've made quite a few fixes to the system since May, and want to continue to do that. 

The permissions function is viewable by DhO members but not configurable. Sorry.

- Chris

DhO Moderator
Olivier S, modified 1 Year ago at 10/25/22 8:20 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/25/22 8:19 AM

In any case, you can change your public name in the settings. Edit : Otherwise people will want to ask you questions such as : you're not the John Campbell who does youtube videos about covid are you ?
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 1 Year ago at 10/25/22 8:29 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/25/22 8:29 AM

Or the science fiction anthology and magazine editor from the golden age of scifi.

Breadcrumb