Teachers & practitioners in the northeast US

thumbnail
Chris G, modified 12 Years ago at 11/21/11 2:06 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 11/21/11 2:06 PM

Teachers & practitioners in the northeast US

Hi folks,

1. I was wondering if anyone knows of (or is) a good teacher who offers personalized instruction in meditation the northeast US. I'm located in New Haven, CT and would be willing to travel an hour or two to meet them (Boston, NYC).

I've been kicking around with meditation on and off for a number of years, but haven't made any real progress. I think the major reason is I've been too isolated, have gotten stuck in some very bad places, and didn't reach out. I'd like to find someone who could help organize, guide and troubleshoot my progress, and also that I could just discuss this stuff with in general. I definitely want someone who is familiar with and willing to talk about states & stages.

2. Are there any practitioners in the same areas that would like to meet up and discuss things or practice together? I'm interested both in meditation & AF. I think it would be helpful and enjoyable to have some liked-minded friends I could see face-to-face.

Cheers,
Chris
End in Sight, modified 12 Years ago at 11/21/11 2:41 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 11/21/11 2:41 PM

RE: Teachers & practitioners in the northeast US

Chris G:
Hi folks,

1. I was wondering if anyone knows of (or is) a good teacher who offers personalized instruction in meditation the northeast US. I'm located in New Haven, CT and would be willing to travel an hour or two to meet them (Boston, NYC).

I've been kicking around with meditation on and off for a number of years, but haven't made any real progress. I think the major reason is I've been too isolated, have gotten stuck in some very bad places, and didn't reach out. I'd like to find someone who could help organize, guide and troubleshoot my progress, and also that I could just discuss this stuff with in general. I definitely want someone who is familiar with and willing to talk about states & stages.

2. Are there any practitioners in the same areas that would like to meet up and discuss things or practice together? I'm interested both in meditation & AF. I think it would be helpful and enjoyable to have some liked-minded friends I could see face-to-face.

Cheers,
Chris

I am not an official meditation teacher, but if you come by NYC at some point, we could chat!

There are a couple of other people in NYC whom you might know:

-Claudiu
-Owen (from KFD)

There are also a couple of people who were meeting as a group with Kenneth Folk while he was on the east coast, though as far as I know they don't post.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 12 Years ago at 11/21/11 3:51 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 11/21/11 3:42 PM

Chris G:
Hi folks,

Cheers,
Chris

There is this meditation group headed by Judson Brewer who is currently doing research on advanced yogis' brains at Yale university. He is aware of AF . I'm sure he would be interested in talking stages and the such. I happen to be participating in the research next week and will be in New Haven for a few days staying with Judd.

http://newhaveninsight.org/

Nick

Edit: I am not 100% sure but i've been told i may be sitting in on one of this meditation group's weekly sits. Not sure yet, but I'lll let this thread know if i'm told it will happen.

Regular Meeting Times
Mondays: 8:00-9:15 PM
8:00-8:30 Meditation
8:30-9:15 Dharma Talk and Discussion

Thursdays: 8:00-9:00 PM
8:00-8:45 Meditation
8:45-9:00 Practice
Reflections
John White, modified 12 Years ago at 11/21/11 3:51 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 11/21/11 3:49 PM

Hi Chris -

I live near new haven, and I certainly know how you feel. PM me, maybe we can meet and chat!

ps - have you checked out newhaveninsight.org?

edit - just saw nikolai's post - yes Judd is a good contact too
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 12 Years ago at 11/21/11 3:52 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 11/21/11 3:51 PM

John White:
Hi Chris -

I live near new haven, and I certainly know how you feel. PM me, maybe we can meet and chat!

ps - have you checked out newhaveninsight.org?

edit - just saw nikolai's post - yes Judd is a good contact too

Oh, John, Judd told me we could all get together in New Haven when i'm there for lunch or dinner.
thumbnail
Chris G, modified 12 Years ago at 11/21/11 5:19 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 11/21/11 5:19 PM

Great, thanks for the responses! Actually I've been to Judd's group before, but it's been a long time since I last went, certainly before AF became popular.

End in Sight: I sent you a PM

John: I'll send you a PM

Nikolai: Great, let me know if you'll be there. I'll try coming for the next few weeks at the least.

Breadcrumb