Insight Cycles and Bipolar Disorder

Matheus Ribeiro de Assis, modified 1 Year ago at 11/22/22 10:46 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/22/22 10:46 AM

Insight Cycles and Bipolar Disorder

My question is pretty straightforward.
Is it possible to differentiate Bipolar Disorder from a regular insight cycle?

What are the main differences?
shargrol, modified 1 Year ago at 11/22/22 2:52 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/22/22 2:52 PM

RE: Insight Cycles and Bipolar Disorder

Definitely do a search on this site for the word "bipolar" --- lots of good old threads...

You would probably like this one: https://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/105357
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 1 Year ago at 11/22/22 4:41 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/22/22 4:36 PM

If I were worried about this issue for myself I'd consult a psychiatrist and a really good meditation teacher with experience in this area, like Daniel Ingram. You can DM Daniel here on DhO. Daniel is also a physician, so there's that, too.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 1 Year ago at 11/22/22 8:05 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/22/22 8:05 PM

Hey, I now help run the EPRC, which is dedicated to getting better data to answer such questions, and clearly insight cycles, in their more extreme variants, look a lot like bipolar disorder, and perhaps are in some ways the same thing functionally. However, there are some shades of grey in terms of differences, such as bipolar disorder patients not reporting the depression suddenly breaking to equanimity in that very particular open, spacious way, at least that I know of, and things like the phenomena of kundalini not gracing the typical manic episode, for example. However, this is all still very much a work in progress, and, yes, if you want to chat about this, let me know, but realize I am pretty busy over Thanksgiving and then some fundraising into mid December. And, yes, a good therapist, particularly a seasoned transpersonal therapist, might be helpful sometimes.
John H, modified 1 Year ago at 11/25/22 8:51 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/25/22 8:51 PM

Daniel M. Ingram
Hey, I now help run the EPRC, which is dedicated to getting better data to answer such questions, and clearly insight cycles, in their more extreme variants, look a lot like bipolar disorder, and perhaps are in some ways the same thing functionally. 
Thank you for this response. I've been curious about this for quite some time, but couldn't find an excuse to ask and was concerned it might be seen as an attack. I'll be very curious to see what you and your colleagues find when you start publishing, and what your metholodies are. Phenomenology around this looks to me pretty likely to closely resemble the definition of a confound. Cheers!
Matheus Ribeiro de Assis, modified 1 Year ago at 11/24/22 8:14 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/24/22 8:14 AM

Thank you, Shargrol! I apologize the community for asking a repetitve topic. I completely forgot of searching the site before posting. (Damn, I'll never attain enlightemnet being so unmindful! lol)

Also, thank you Daniel! I've been wanting to talk with you for a while about my practice. I already have an appointment with you to talk about helping the EPRC. Since you kindly made yourself available, I'll schedule another meeting for personal purposes.

Breadcrumb