RE: The attainments of wisdom.

Dark Knight, modified 1 Year ago at 12/3/22 7:44 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 12/3/22 7:41 PM

The attainments of wisdom.

Every eye that lands here is attended by many things, but there is one thing does not accompany any of them - nibanna. It's not for the eyes but for those beings with just a "blip" of dust in them that these words appear:

1) all inquiry is ended when dukkha comes to be known;

2) all inquiry is ended when anicca comes to be known; and,

3) all inquiry is ended when anatta comes to be known. 

It is for this reason that coming to know the (3) great marks has come to be known as seeing and knowing.

It is for those beings with eyes that the foregoing was expounded, and for those with ears that the following appears:

(1) by lust/greed, hate/anger, and delusion/pride is a being defiled;

(2) by abandoning greed, anger and delusion is a being redeemed; and,

(3) by skillful means alone is abandonment accomplished.

It is for this reason that the extinguishment of the root defilements has come to be known as Nibbana (release, liberation, end of the work, etc.).

Now, it is for those beings who have heard and have seen that these words confim that what has already been stated represents the entirety of the teaching, from which the refined, sublime Dhamma reiterated here for the benefit of the beings already defined originated. 

- pratyekabuddha
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 1 Year ago at 12/4/22 1:03 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 12/4/22 1:03 AM

Why would you want to identify as a pratyekabuddha? You do know that there are prayers and vows about not becoming a pratyekabuddha, right?
Robert L, modified 1 Year ago at 12/4/22 7:00 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 12/4/22 7:00 AM

In the work written by Gampopa (1074-1153 C.E.), "The Jewel Ornament of Liberation, The Wish-fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings", the ‘Pratyekabuddha family’ are characterized as secretive about their teachers, live in solitude, are afraid of Samsara, yearn for Nirvana and have little compassion. They are also characterized as arrogant.They cling to the idea that the unsullied meditative absorption they experience is Nirvana, when it's more like an island to find rest on the way to their actual goal. Rather than let them feel discouraged, the Buddha taught the Sravaka and Pratyekabuddha paths for rest and recuperation. After finding rest in states of meditative absorption, they are encouraged and awakened by the Buddha's body, speech, and mind to reach final Nirvana. Inspired by the Buddha, they then cultivate Bodhicitta and practice the Bodhisattva path.[10]

I had to look up the term on Wikipedia.
Adi Vader, modified 1 Year ago at 12/4/22 7:57 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 12/4/22 7:57 AM

I think different traditions look at the Pratyekabuddhas in different ways. 

My understanding is that pratyekabuddhas have basically discovered how to free themselves intuitively without the conceptual framework and languaging that is used to teach the Dharma. They do this in the privacy of their own minds and lives and thus dont have a pedagogical framework they can use to teach other people. Thus they are reticent, but would willingly share their knowledge to the extent they are capable in case somebody asks them.

In terms of the depth of wisdom they have they are equal to sammasam Buddhas but they have little to no societal impact.
T DC, modified 1 Year ago at 12/4/22 2:49 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 12/4/22 1:36 PM

^^ What Adi said - I generally have understood the term pratyeka Buddha as applying to fully awakened Buddhas who for whatever reason, such lack of ability or opportunity, don't teach the dharma (and apparently also didn't have any official teachers, although the same could be said for the original Buddha, Sakyamuni).  It basically allows for enlightened beings that no one has ever heard of, who don't behave like your stereotypically awakened indivdual.

What OP means by it however is unclear.  ;)
thumbnail
Jonas E, modified 1 Year ago at 12/5/22 1:16 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 12/5/22 1:16 PM

I was also thinking I was a pratyekabuddha before. I think it's awesome with verry intuitive people who can share their presence or wisdom. Since everyone doesn't like the guidance of religious or other types of people. Thank you!

Breadcrumb