Thoughts & State Shifts in Equanimity

thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 12 Years ago at 12/1/11 6:13 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/1/11 6:13 AM

Thoughts & State Shifts in Equanimity

I posted this in my practice log this morning.

Did anapana/fullbody awareness for the full hour.

Quickly got access then over some time the "fine fizz" built up. The most noticeable / interesting thing about this sit was that I very clearly noticed something that I've seen before: That when in EQ I experience subtle/gentle state shifts many times, each time my awareness becomes finer, and more inclusive. The odd thing is that this happens almost exclusively when my mind has wandered briefly --it's like my mind needs to distract itself for the shift in perception to occur.

These shifts started with a really big one then continued over the hour many times - maybe 8-12 of them. I wondered if the "shift" was actually me perceiving the "thought" but have put that to one side, because although it makes sense from one point of view, it does not gel with the very noticeable shift in perception each time. If it was just noticing thought as more of a tangible thing, than surely the shift would not occur?

Again there were some DNesque like sensations, but they had no teeth. Just kind of interesting the way the same stuff comes up again and again for me, but now I see them very differently.

If anyone can offer any comment on that I'd be much obliged. Im a little out at sea here.

Thanks!
thumbnail
Florian, modified 12 Years ago at 12/4/11 9:51 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/4/11 9:50 AM

RE: Thoughts & State Shifts in Equanimity

Note the fascination with state shifts, note the tension between wanting the shifts and not wanting the wandering mind, note how you want to game the experience, note the interest in the perceiver of thoughts. Note the satisfaction with more inclusive states, note how you want equanimity to be like this, note the subtle frustration when it's not. Note, be aware, investigate, notice, be interested in, be mindful of, figure out what's going on - choose the term that suits you best.

This is probably not what you wanted to hear, but give it a try regardless.

Cheers,
Florian
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 12 Years ago at 12/4/11 12:11 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/4/11 12:11 PM

Not at all, I really appreciate it! These have stopped happening quite so often now but I'd love to know how to apply the noting specific advice to a goenka-scanning technique if you have any thoughts on that Florian?

Im am really trying to investigate everything, but translating some of the better advice on the forums here to my favoured technique is not always easy emoticon
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 12 Years ago at 12/4/11 4:57 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/4/11 4:57 PM

these shifts may be related to perceiving formations, see if you can catch them as they arise and pass so that you can watch the whole thing dropping out. the way i described it was like seeing the whole sensate picture being swiped away and replaced by another one, like a set onstage in a theatre, does that sound similar?

the DN-like stuff is most probably the earlier stages of Equanimity, there's a kinda fractal/fade-out from Re-Observation that happens.

sounds like a good time to investigate what's still observing these drop-outs happening, you appear to have managed to avoid the mistake that some people make and thinking these are fruition, that suggests to me that you've got the skills to be able to be precise and clear about this so i see no reason why stream entry won't happen if you keep your practice going strong.

hope that's of use.
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 12 Years ago at 12/5/11 1:28 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/5/11 1:28 AM

Thanks Tommy, I'll definitely try to do this!

I've also had the same kind of thing but where i suddenly find i've "missed a bit" --all of a sudden i find i've "come back" but there was no content that pulled me off. I could have just fallen asleep i guess, and this can happen 3 or 4 times in a short space of time so it doesn't sound so significant but if you have any thoughts on that please tell.
thumbnail
Florian, modified 12 Years ago at 12/7/11 6:01 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/7/11 6:01 AM

how to apply the noting specific advice to a goenka-scanning technique

Can you scan the body areas where you can feel sensations of satisfaction, for example (or the other mental qualities I mentioned)?

Cheers,
Florian
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 12 Years ago at 12/7/11 6:22 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/7/11 6:22 AM

Hi Florian. Im scanning the whole body. Im not really sure wehre I feel any feelings at all. The predominant sensation is fizz/tingling all over and self sustaining.

Ocassionally i've noticed fear comes with a tensing of the chest /absominal muscles but apart from that I dont think i really notice very much like that...
thumbnail
Florian, modified 12 Years ago at 12/7/11 6:37 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/7/11 6:37 AM

In that case, when you do all this scanning and get to the interesting bits, have you tried letting it all crash - stop the scanning - and see what happens?

Cheers,
Florian
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 12 Years ago at 12/7/11 6:40 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/7/11 6:40 AM

Yes! At a certain point scanning becomes quite optional anyway. If i just lay there being mindful of whatever comes up, that's actually where the interesting stuff usually presents..
thumbnail
Florian, modified 12 Years ago at 12/7/11 7:49 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/7/11 7:49 AM

Right - and at that point, you can (gently) pay attention, figure out what's going on etc.
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 12 Years ago at 12/7/11 8:04 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/7/11 8:04 AM

Thanks Florian. I'll give it a go!

Breadcrumb