RE: Pulsating energy like phenomena in area of frontal lobe

Christian Drouin, modified 1 Year ago at 2/20/23 6:22 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 2/20/23 6:22 AM

Pulsating energy like phenomena in area of frontal lobe

Hi everyone, 
Been meditation, doing breathwork, and so on for 15 years now.   But, over the last 4 year more intense practice (few hour everyday).  

Since last winter, I don't remember the exact date, but I think was February 2022.  As soon as I meditate (concentration practice), I have the frontal lobe of my brain that start pulsating. It is like and energy phenomena...  A bit like if you activate one of your energy center, you feel it pulsating...do you know what I mean?   Sometimes, by focusing away on other part of my body for exemple, it is not as strong.  If I focus on it, it become stronger....  

So, honestly, that's a bit annoying!  What is this?  Why did it start?  Can I get rid of it?  Should I get rid of it?  Those are some of my questions... 

I would really appreciate your feedback regarding this phenomena.  It is systematic, as soon as I meditate it starts... so for a concentration practice, I m sure you can imagine it can sometimes be a bit distracting.  Although, I not too bad, I have some success to completely ignore it and focus on what I want to...

Kind regards, 

​​​​​​​Chris 
Adi Vader, modified 1 Year ago at 2/20/23 7:32 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 2/20/23 7:32 AM

Hi. Please see if this makes sense and if you would like to experiment with it.

​​​​​​​https://www.reddit.com/r/streamentry/comments/ekrscz/samatha_practices_to_balance_attention_and/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 1 Year ago at 2/20/23 2:00 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 2/20/23 2:00 PM

I second what Adi said. I'm personally very prone to energetic phenomena, and it's clear to me that my narrow focus is what centers energy to a place. So once you start to notice energy pulsating somewhere, it's easy to fall into the trap of monitoring that area carefully, which actually leads energy there. And intentionally stopping that can be like intentionally not thinking of a pink elephant. So it's helpful to build the skill of a wider and less subject-object focused awareness. For that reason and for other reasons. 
Martin, modified 1 Year ago at 2/20/23 2:37 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 2/20/23 2:37 PM

I'm going to pile on and agree with Adi and Linda (though Adi's link doesn't work for me).

I will also mention a technique I use for a chronic pain problem, which you might want to try playing with, as I'm guessing it could apply to any undesirable body-based sensory experience. When the pain comes up, I rearrange the spatial map of my body so, instead of the pain being in the torso, it is in my head. This usually requires making the head much bigger, at first. Then the pain might be spread out so as to be in a band stretching from the original location to the head. Then I can focus on the part that is in the head. Once the pain is in a new place, it is less likely to seem like an object, and more likely to seem like an event. Once it is an event, it is easier to see the constantly changing components. The more clearly the changing (arising and passing away) components are visible, the less different they are from all the other sensate components, and so the less important they are. 

If your phenomenon is in your head, you might see if you can feel it simultaneously happening somewhere else, perhaps by expanding the borders of that part of the body to include the head, and see what happens then. The real goal for me is to disrupt the subject-object construct and, at the same time bring the interpretive (malleable) nature of the experience to the forefront. That is to say, for this technique to be helpful, it needs to be the opposite of reification. 
Christian Drouin, modified 1 Year ago at 2/22/23 2:04 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 2/22/23 2:04 AM

Thanks for the link, it does not work.  Maybe some of it is missing....  Could you repost it?
Christian Drouin, modified 1 Year ago at 2/22/23 2:05 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 2/22/23 2:05 AM

Ok Linda, thanks for your suggestions.  I will try it...
Christian Drouin, modified 1 Year ago at 2/22/23 2:11 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 2/22/23 2:11 AM

Thanks a lot Martin, very interesting idea / practice / technique.&nbsp; I will give it a try and I ll let you know how it goes...&nbsp;<br /><br />Have a great day all, and thanks a lot for sharing with me your experience&nbsp;<br /><br />Blessings
thumbnail
Aeon , modified 1 Year ago at 2/23/23 2:14 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 2/23/23 2:14 PM

Curiously, neuroscience shows that vipassana increases activity in the frontal lobes and anterior cingulate cortex - that might be what you are feeling.
I saw papers about this on pubmed when searching for how vipassana affects addiction and self control.

Considering that those brain areas are associated with phenomena like free will, I think it stands to reason that you feeling them vibrate/tingle, is a sign they are being activated. I would think this is a good sign for concentration practice.

If it was me, I would consider the energetic tingling the equivalent of sweating while training - not something you like, but it serves a function.
‎ ‎Nihila, modified 1 Year ago at 2/23/23 2:57 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 2/23/23 2:33 PM

There are no pain receptors in the brain, so that's probably not it. Also I don't think that's how the brain works.

Breadcrumb