RE: ADHD

Jinxed P, modified 12 Years ago at 9/2/11 3:25 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/2/11 3:25 PM

ADHD

Hello.

Anyone on here been diagnosed with ADHD? If you have, I would like to hear your experiences with meditation and ADHD.

It seems simple. ADHD is a problem with being able to concentrate. Meditation helps with concentration, and therefore would help with ADHD.

However, the brain isn't so simple, and the underlying neurobiology that causes ADHD may not be rectified by meditation..or maybe it can...

I've meditated for a few years now, but never a serious practice. Maybe a few times a week when I could remember to do it. I'm planning to get more serious about my practice and am curious to how it might affect my ADHD...and how my ADHD might hinder my ability to progress along the path.

Thoughts?
thumbnail
Simon T, modified 12 Years ago at 9/13/11 8:40 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/13/11 8:40 AM

I have ADHD myself and that's the reason I became interested in meditation. I can't provide serious advice since I'm just beginning with the practice. Hence, take this post with a grain of salt. So far, I'm putting my money on Vipassana but since my concentration is so bad, there is a lot of wandering. It has been recommended to me to practice love-kindness meditation (a form of mantra) to improve my concentration before getting into Vipassana. Mantras keep the mind busy so that might be a good form of samathi for people with poor concentration. I found out that focussing on a constant noise (like the buzz of an air-conditioning or the sound of an engine) is easier than focussing on sensations. It's a good way to clear the mind of thoughts while on the bus, taking a shower, etc. It's a good way to reduce the amount of thinking during the day.

The Mahasi technique of noting help to fight the thoughts we have during meditating but I cannot compare it to other technique since it's the only one I know. Still, my retreat was pretty much a failure so don't take this advice too seriously. Walking meditation was really really hard since it's requires so much effort to stay focus.
Jinxed P, modified 12 Years ago at 9/20/11 10:32 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/20/11 10:32 AM

Keep me updated on your progress Simon.

Right now, I am focusing on concentration practices. Particularly, following my breath.
thumbnail
Simon T, modified 12 Years ago at 9/21/11 11:22 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/21/11 11:22 PM

Have a look at this thread.

http://dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/2182752
End in Sight, modified 12 Years ago at 9/22/11 7:45 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/22/11 7:45 AM

Simon T.:
The Mahasi technique of noting help to fight the thoughts we have during meditating

One can adjust the speed at which they note to see what's optimal in this regard. The optimal noting speed may be surprisingly high for you. (Noting quickly can also be good for insight, apart from the matter of trying to stay on-task.)
thumbnail
Ruth Laura Edlund, modified 12 Years ago at 10/31/11 8:07 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 10/31/11 8:07 PM

Jinxed P:

It seems simple. ADHD is a problem with being able to concentrate. Meditation helps with concentration, and therefore would help with ADHD.

Perhaps not so simple. I think the name of the condition is a misnomer. ADHD/ADD is not necessarily a question of a deficit in attention, but the management of attention.

ADD-inattentive types like myself can be quite capable of hyperfocus on subjects of interest. The executive function deficit, for someone who can hyperfocus, lies in shifting attention to other targets.

Concentration practices are easy for the hyperfocused, and concentration can serve as a "slingshot," if you will.
thumbnail
Jonas E, modified 1 Year ago at 3/16/23 8:57 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 3/16/23 8:54 AM

I have been diagnosed with ADHD. Meditation is helping me so much with concentration and insight! The level of ADHD I was diagnosed with is not severe. But when I was diagnosed I was in verry good form, not a chance I would have done that well on the test at an earlier time of my life, I think I never been in such good form as when I did the test.

I have been going from struggeling with even sitting down to meditate to 2 months and 25 days meditation at a MBMC retreat, where I could sit for 2½ hours maximum. At home I been sitting for 3 hours. But finally I have understood that I benefit for maximum 1½ hours in one sitting, mostly I do about 1 hour, 1-3 times a day. Before I wouldn't even think it could be possible to have time with that. But things change, I change, life change.

But to push my self to my maximum ability has absolutely been helpful for insight! But sure, just simple practice of being present is awesome, like what Eckhart Tolle is teaching, Gangaji is also awesome! It's not to be underestimated.
thumbnail
Aeon , modified 1 Year ago at 3/19/23 1:26 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 3/19/23 1:26 AM

I second the idea Ruth mentioned that ADD/ADHD is not a lack but faulty management of attention.
Don't have it myself, but all the friends I have known who had it were very good at focusing and generally smart - IF it was something that interested them.

If I were in your shoes, I would start with a meditation type that you enjoy.
Obvious choice of enjoyable meditation would be soft jhanas based on a pleasant emotion or feeling.
That way you could build the groove that focus is an enjoyable activity, and then carry it over into daily life where you would like to concentrate.

Buyer beware: ADHD is often confounded with trauma and/or dopamine deficiency.
Doing hardcore concentration or insight practice with a history of trauma significantly increases the risk of adverse events.

L-tyrosine and DL-phenylalanine can increase dopamine and thus focus and mood stability.
You might enjoy this podcast from Huberman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFL6qRIJZ_Y