New podcast with Mahamudra teacher Loch Kelly

Artem Zen, modified 11 Months ago at 4/29/23 12:32 PM
Created 11 Months ago at 4/29/23 12:32 PM

New podcast with Mahamudra teacher Loch Kelly

Hello Dharmanites, 

I just wanted to share a podcast I just released with psychotherapist and Mahamudra teacher Loch Kelly. 

In it we speak about the differences between deliberate & effortless mindfulness approaches, barriers to recognizing awakened awareness, why we don’t need 10,000 hours of meditation to awaken, integrating psychotherapy & meditation, and a mature understanding of emptiness & nonduality.

Enjoy =) 
​​​​​​​
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeuya9OjR04
Hålv Berg, modified 7 Months ago at 9/3/23 12:09 PM
Created 7 Months ago at 9/3/23 12:09 PM

RE: New podcast with Mahamudra teacher Loch Kelly

Listen to this a few weeks a go driving to see family. Didnt have any expectations, but it suddenly clicked when he was describing it. Finally what i had been looking for emoticon . Then i arrived to the gathering and it felt like they all had been waiting for me to "get it" (though for them it probably seemed as before)  and i felt very at home.

Thank you Artem and Loch for this!

Artem Zen, modified 6 Months ago at 9/24/23 2:43 PM
Created 6 Months ago at 9/24/23 2:43 PM

Wow amazing! Thanks for tuning in and I'm glad you picked up on the transmission. 
thumbnail
terry, modified 6 Months ago at 9/25/23 5:20 PM
Created 6 Months ago at 9/25/23 5:16 PM

There are some contradictions. 

The idea that "safety, love and optimal living" are the goal of practice is rather like the dogs chasing a fake rabbit at the dog track, or a carrot dangled in front of a donkey to make him move. That sentient beings want such things is a given, but enlightenment is another bag.

Loch's roles as meditation teacher and as therapist may conflict. "Many are called" but many are not, and everyone wants to be happy. There must be times when healing the person's life and healing the person's spirit split. One dies to be reborn, but thou shalt do no harm.

In the discussion most of the time the individual self consciousness is assumed, while at the same time "the next level of consciousness, flow consciousness" is recommended. So the individual "experiences" unselfconsciousness. "You operate from a non self conscious base...". This is absurd, isn't it? One cannot experience onself as nonself. The sword of dscrimination cannot cut itself.

One of the things that neuroscientists teach us (like dr robert sapolsky) is that our desires are mediated by dopamine hits, and that getting these dopamine hits is not a straightforward stimulus reward system. The dopamine kicks in on the anticipation of reward, while actually "experiencing" the reward really adds little to our enjoyment. The excitement of the chase, the activity of the hunt, is the dope. The fun of christmas is before the kid opens the presents, and when opened the thrill of anticipating all the fun of playing with new toys.

However one might want to manipulate this information to maximize whatever neurochemical joys, the result will be a letdown. We only anticipate what we don't have. Desire is self defeating. Pleasure and satisfaction are never simultaneous.

In the end happiness is a false goal. 

All goals are false goals.

But, I do appreciate that beings like loch kelly and yourself have the patience to repeat simple truths over and over for the benefit of the thirsty masses.

bankei:

Ever since I realized the wonderful working of the Buddha-mind, I've been going around telling people about it. Many of them have become convinced of it too. Of course, it's not something I learned from a Buddhist teacher; I discovered it on my own. And since I did, each time I tell others about it at these meetings, my words come from personal knowledge and experience. Hearing about it only once or twice probably won't be enough, so you should listen as many times as you need to. If you have any questions about it, ask them, and I'll answer them for you.

Breadcrumb