UK

thumbnail
Tony Norris, modified 10 Months ago at 6/9/23 9:13 AM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/9/23 9:13 AM

UK

I moved here from the US about eight months ago & I'm curious about events & retreats here or having tea with anyone from here on the path.  I live near Cambridge.

​​​​​​​Cheers.
Conal, modified 10 Months ago at 6/9/23 2:33 PM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/9/23 2:33 PM

RE: UK

Hi Tony, and welcome to the UK and to dharma overground.

From what you've written in your other post, I think you might be best off checking out Gaia House to start with. They have a relatively gentle approach.

​​​​​​​It depends on what you're interested in though. You mentioned Daniel Ingram and he's a proponent of the Mahasi noting method. That is taught in the Satipanya centre in mid Wales.

The Goenka courses are popular too and there's a centre not far from you in Haughley Green (Dhamma Sukakhari). They're pretty hardcore and it's usually not easy to get on the courses because they are so popular. You have to book as soon as they become available.

I recommend the TWIM online retreat. It's a very safe, effective and gentle approach. 

There's a Thai forest monastery called ameravati not far from you too. You can do a day visit there or stay as a guest. I've been there recently and I was very impressed with it.

You can find more details of these options by doing an internet search.

The best of luck,

Conal
thumbnail
Tony Norris, modified 10 Months ago at 6/9/23 4:28 PM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/9/23 4:28 PM

Thanks Conal.  That Dhamma Sukakhari place is quite close.

What do you mean by hardcore?
Conal, modified 10 Months ago at 6/9/23 5:29 PM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/9/23 5:29 PM

Well, it's a pretty tough schedule for a start. It's about 10.5 hours of sitting meditation a day. That takes a bit of getting used to, even in the physical sense. I found it important to exercise in the break periods. You can go on walks and stretch etc. Also, if you do it, don't feel shy about asking to use a chair rather than suffering on the floor.  

​​​​​​​They have "sittings of strong determination" too where you are encouraged not to move. I'm not convinced that this is a good idea!  In any case, I'd say listen to your body and don't get caught up in macho competitiveness. It's easy to overdo it and the support available is not usually as good as in some other places.  Lots of people benefit from Goenka courses, and I count myself in that number, but they're not for everyone.  They provide a low cost "product" that's very effective in getting you started on the path but a lot of people find that they have to move on to other techniques and approaches to continue to make progress.

Conal
thumbnail
Tony Norris, modified 10 Months ago at 6/10/23 5:59 AM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/10/23 5:59 AM

Thanks Conal.

I've emailed them asking if it would be possible to be prone (laying down) at all during any of the practices as I have slipped discs.

I'm definitely attracted to hardcore stuff but also old enough and with enough experience to realize sometimes easier isn't necessarily less effective.

​​​​​​​Their location is definitely ideal for me
Conal, modified 10 Months ago at 6/10/23 11:18 AM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/10/23 11:18 AM

Ok, I hope it goes well.

Satipanya is pretty hardcore too, by the way. They have a similar schedule to Goenka but they alternate sitting and walking meditation. It's harder for you to get there though.

Best regards,

​​​​​​​Conal
thumbnail
Tony Norris, modified 10 Months ago at 6/11/23 6:05 AM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/11/23 6:05 AM

Thanks.  Are you a British yourself?  Have you done any retreats around here?

Do you think a "teacher" is super critical?  Have you ever done a retreat with a few friends without one?
Conal, modified 10 Months ago at 6/11/23 8:44 AM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/11/23 8:20 AM

No, I'm Irish, living in South Wales.  I haven't done any retreats near you or just with friends.

The teacher is important, especially initially. In the Goenka tradition, it's Goenka that is the teacher, even though he is no longer alive! They use audio and video recordings of him (that you can find on YouTube) in the courses. They also have "assistant teachers" that you can ask questions of.  Goenka comes across as a kindly old man and he's very funny at times.  It's best if you can find a teacher who embodies the dharma as you can learn a lot simply by watching them and from how they conduct themselves. I have also learnt a lot by reading books and from following this forum though.

A good teacher can see if you are overdoing it, which I think is the main danger on retreat, so I think you would be best advised to practice with a teacher.  There are some horror stories that you can find online of people overdoing it on retreat. 

Online retreats are a good option. You give and receive daily feedback on the TWIM retreat I mentioned earlier, for example.

​​​​​​​Conal
thumbnail
Bahiya Baby, modified 10 Months ago at 6/11/23 12:20 PM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/11/23 11:35 AM

Also Irish, though considering a move to the UK!

I have heard great things about Gaia house though I have not been. 

Also, I love TWIM and I highly recommend their approach to practice. 

I've had some postural issues myself and there are times when the hardcore sitting retreats just aren't an option. I practice Will Johnson's Hollow Bamboo dharma a lot these days. It's like a deeply relaxed, embodied approach to sitting that keeps the spine in gentle motion with the breath. I would suggest this style to anyone with back stuff going on.

I do think spending some face to face time with a teacher is crucial. Particularly if that teacher is quite far along. You can pick up a lot in very subtle ways.
thumbnail
Tony Norris, modified 10 Months ago at 6/11/23 5:55 PM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/11/23 5:55 PM

Thanks, online retreat may be a good start, take a smaller bite than jumping straight into a 10-day silent one away from everyone.  My girlfriend & our kids would probably appreciate it as well.

Even 15 minutes a day is hard for me right now.  I tend to like to force matters with myself which may or may not be the best approach.  Inertia is a powerful force tho.
thumbnail
Bahiya Baby, modified 10 Months ago at 6/12/23 2:54 AM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/12/23 2:54 AM

In practice it can be very useful to work with the sensations and thoughts that make practice itself difficult.

You can find the main technique the TWIM guys offer here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Path-Nibbana-Mindfulness-Loving-Kindness-Progresses/dp/1508808910

Can pick up a digital copy for 4 pound. 

Their 6r technique could be a very useful thing to apply to any difficult feelings or frustrations with practice. And they certainly provide a great antidote to forcing things. Teaches you to relax in a way that still gives you something to do. And as you get more and more relaxed it's easier to do less and less. 
thumbnail
Bahiya Baby, modified 10 Months ago at 6/12/23 6:20 AM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/12/23 6:20 AM

Also let me know do you enjoy Cambridge? Is it very different from where you were in the US?
thumbnail
Tony Norris, modified 10 Months ago at 6/12/23 1:08 PM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/12/23 1:08 PM

Technically I'm in Haverhill, about 45 outside of Cambridge.

I like UK, people are people but I like the British so far 

​​​​​​​Winters are a bit dreary and there's no air conditioning in summer but it's all good