SSRIs, Material Reductionism and Transhumanism

thumbnail
James Yen, modified 12 Years ago at 12/28/11 8:59 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/28/11 8:59 AM

SSRIs, Material Reductionism and Transhumanism

So I'm a big advocate of SSRIs, they have worked for me.

Although I have claimed to attain Enlightenment on March 17th (this is probably not true), it is highly likely that Enlightenment is not to blame for my current happiness.

My current condition, which I may have mistaken for an Enlightenment, or the effects of Enlightenment (briefly summarized as lack of anxiety, sadness, sexual desire and anger, as well as a certain happiness,), or a Virtual Freedom can more readily be ascribed to my regular taking of Prozac and Abilify.

In the past I took Lexapro and Lorazepamine, but I stopped those, then I took Pristiq. I complained mercilessly, but I remember being epic and happy.

Now for several months after my "Enlightenment" I didn't improve at all, but around when I started going to college I became more extroverted, well-adjusted and happy (main complaint being wanting a girlfriend).

I have attributed this to being a healing period after my Enlightenment, now you may say: "No james you're stupid it was the SSRIs."

I actually stopped taking them more or less for the two or three months I had been at college and had been relatively happy and well adjusted.

BUT I have since then hypothesised that since the SSRIs are fat soluble (I have a fatty diet) they were stored in my fat for the the three months (although I didn't have a fatty diet at the time I was taking them.... odd) I had been taking them but having no noticeable effect. Then when I more or less tapered off and stopped taking them my body used the fat (as it does normally) and it was AS IF I was still taking them, thus leading to my happiness around the end of september.

Odd.

Anyways, point is.

Want to be happy? Two steps:

1) Stop beating yourself up.

2) Take medication.

That is all.

Oh btw, Nick, before you do it, don't reverse troll me.
m m a, modified 12 Years ago at 12/28/11 9:44 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/28/11 9:43 AM

RE: SSRIs, Material Reductionism and Transhumanism

step 1 is enough for most people, people without a mental disorder

best to leave step 2 to the doctors

I don't think the Path is quite so deeply related to your happiness, what you perceive as the drugs' effects, etc...

Take care of yourself, see good doctors.

It seems like you're looking for explanations for everything, causes and effects, Happy now, Sad later... Drugs now, drugs later. Enlightenment later.

These things aren't related to Insight.

you ask, 'want to be happy'?
let gooooooooooooo

-max

ps your title doesn't make any sense.
thumbnail
James Yen, modified 12 Years ago at 12/28/11 9:46 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/28/11 9:46 AM

Meh, sorry I forgot to bring in those topics.

But you misunderstand me, I have nothing to let go of, I have reached my goal (whatever it is), I wanted to be happy and now I am happy.

Isn't that what matters? Isn't that what all you guys are aiming for?

Fuck the explanation for WHY this is the case if need be.
m m a, modified 12 Years ago at 12/28/11 9:52 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/28/11 9:51 AM

James Yen:

Isn't that what matters? Isn't that what all you guys are aiming for?

no

James Yen:

But you misunderstand me, I have nothing to let go of, I have reached my goal (whatever it is), I wanted to be happy and now I am happy.

somehow both tautological and self-contradictory. also i don't believe you, or its too vague. can't tell which.
thumbnail
James Yen, modified 12 Years ago at 12/28/11 9:55 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/28/11 9:55 AM

True story my friend, I am happy.

Or maybe this is the boy who cried wolf all over again. Sorry I don't see how it's contradictory, I also dont understand what tautological means.

If you're not aiming for happiness then good luck. I am actually sincerely interested in what your aiming for, aims always precede the attainment, what is it exactly?
m m a, modified 12 Years ago at 12/28/11 10:02 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/28/11 10:01 AM

hmmmmm

i can't put my whole conceptual and non-conceptual understanding of the path down in just a few words... or can I?

what is the aim?

To be at a place where aims are a meaningless, inchorent, vestigial structure.
To have the question, 'am i happy?' become irrelevant and be answered not with yes or no but with laughter or tears
To have intimate experience and practice with EXACTLY what the brain can do, or does automatically, and what the difference is
thumbnail
James Yen, modified 12 Years ago at 12/28/11 10:08 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/28/11 10:08 AM

m m a:
hmmmmm

i can't put my whole conceptual and non-conceptual understanding of the path down in just a few words... or can I?

what is the aim?

To be at a place where aims are a meaningless, inchorent, vestigial structure.
To have the question, 'am i happy?' become irrelevant and be answered not with yes or no but with laughter or tears
To have intimate experience and practice with EXACTLY what the brain can do, or does automatically, and what the difference is

Sounds intense, lulz

Well it comforts me to know (or at least think) that if you actually pursued happiness you would find it

Best of luck to you

lulz

:-D

Breadcrumb