beginner body mind noting

Phil Brennan Sheridan, modified 14 Years ago at 12/9/09 8:19 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 12/9/09 8:19 PM

beginner body mind noting

am new to this site but greatly encouraged by these forums and re-starting a meditation practice after 4 years off line. I have a question about noting body mind--as i resume, my focus seems pretty cloudy, much absorption, drift and correction, attempting to stay with the breath but noting the constant environmental feed, experiencing confusion of focus and shifting to the feed, trying to note the immediate flow, experiencing an undercurrent of tension from a sense of 'directing' the awareness as I cast about looking for sensations. in practicing tonight i had a momentary shift where the flow of physical sensations felt accelerated and expanded but also more 'contained' by the body envelope--some kind of subtle field shift perhaps where sensations were pinging at faster speed throughout the body--lighter, more numerous, harder to track. am leery at this stage--heady with new instruction (D. Ingrams book), weak on actual practice--of scripting and contrived states, but obviously eager for some early purchase. to those who have progressed in this and are willing to comment, does the contained state described sound like a movement in the right direction?
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 14 Years ago at 12/12/09 2:12 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 12/12/09 2:12 AM

RE: beginner body mind noting

Hey, welcome to this stuff.

I recommend continuing to notice the arising and passing of sensations without worrying too much about what they are.

Sounds early A&P to me.

Keep going and see what happen. Read the Progress of Insight section, also Practical Insight Meditation by Mahasi Sayadaw.

Daniel