HELP

douglas wayne pennington, modified 14 Years ago at 12/11/09 10:29 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 12/11/09 10:29 AM

HELP

Hello people, Im new to meditation and I just read some post info on this site about the dark night and it got me alittle scared I must say. I know this is the path I need to follow but can any one help me calm my nerves. By the was I just started reading Jack Kornfield book-A PATH WITH HEART which I heard mentioned on buddhist geeks I think.
Susan Law, modified 14 Years ago at 12/11/09 3:23 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 12/11/09 3:19 PM

RE: HELP

douglas wayne pennington:
Hello people, Im new to meditation and I just read some post info on this site about the dark night and it got me alittle scared I must say. I know this is the path I need to follow but can any one help me calm my nerves. By the was I just started reading Jack Kornfield book-A PATH WITH HEART which I heard mentioned on buddhist geeks I think.

You don't really say in what way you are disturbed, or which post made you so - but just in general, no path is completely easy. Besides, each person is different, and how 'dark' your night is/will be is impossible to know in advance. There are two things that are clear to me, though:

1. The goal of a good path is far better than what will happen if you don't take such a path - no matter what you have to go through; this is kind of a backwards way of saying that the result is worth however much darkness there is.

2. Wise guidance of some sort is really important, because it's easy to create trouble for yourself. So use all the assistance you can get. From this point of view, asking your question was a really good idea.

One good place to start is Daniel Ingram's book, Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha - which isavailable online for free. This book is really clear and straightforward - and you can interact here with the author and others very familiar with it, and with the material underlying it, if you have questions or comments.

Susan
douglas wayne pennington, modified 14 Years ago at 12/12/09 2:38 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 12/12/09 2:38 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU SUSAN VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ANSWER AND YOU'RE RIGHT THIS PATH IS BETTER THAN ANY I HAVE RESEARCHED, GREAT POINT. AGAIN I'M NEW TO THIS PATH BUT IT IS THE ONLY TRUE PATH FOR ME, I'VE LOOKED FOR SUCH A PATH AND NOW I FEEL THAT I'M HOME. THANK YOU THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ANSWERING. BY THE WAY I'M GOING TO A RETREAT HERE IN KAUFMAN TX, IT'S A S.N. GOENKA , WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?
thumbnail
Andy Coke, modified 14 Years ago at 12/13/09 7:04 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 12/13/09 7:04 AM

Hey Douglas, have a look at this for a discussion on Goenka retreats.

The conclusions that I got are that they provide a great opportunity, but that teaches arent as helpfull as they could be. I did one retreat with them and it was good, and the teachers seemed good to me, but just because I am a complete beginner. If I were you I would have a read to the first part (at least) of Daniels Book, so you have a good model in your head of how things work.

Go for it, and good luck!

Andy
thumbnail
Dark Night Yogi, modified 14 Years ago at 12/15/09 8:37 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 12/15/09 8:34 AM

Im a beginner, took a goenka retreat a couple of months ago. it was my first that was longer than a weekend. We had to sit on the cushion and chairs weren't allowed. These were only during the times we were required to sit in the hall though (not all the time)

On the 4th day onwards, you are encouraged to sit without moving for 3 1 hour periods. I dont know if the 'no sitting in chair rule' is in All goenka centers or just in my country.I had a hard time with this a bit but not too bad.

I thought the evening discourses were great, and Goenka's style of explaining the dharma was very straightfoward and helpful. I don't think whether the teacher is helpful or not is that important as the instructions are very clear and are said over and over. I think that I would have been just fine without the teacher and that I only asked questions because we have so much time to think about questions too.

All in all, it was a great experience and id definitely recommend it. I havn't done any other tradition retreat so i can't compare yet. (Im planning on a Mahasi one in February though)

Other styles/traditions may be better but i think any Vipassana retreat regardless is already good!
thumbnail
Daniel Johnson, modified 14 Years ago at 12/28/09 7:31 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 12/28/09 7:31 PM

Mitch Jacinto:
I dont know if the 'no sitting in chair rule' is in All goenka centers or just in my country.I had a hard time with this a bit but not too bad.

It depends on the Assistant Teacher who is facilitating the course. Usually they're more easy going about it, in my experience.