Brainwave Entrainment

thumbnail
John P, modified 12 Years ago at 1/24/12 11:09 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 1/24/12 11:09 AM

Brainwave Entrainment

S'up, first post here.

I opened this thread to share and read some experiences with brainwave entrainment.
For those who don't know, brainwave entrainment is an audio and/or light technology which emits a frequency in a way that can influence the brainwaves frequency, thus facilitating relaxation and related stuff.
There are 3 main types of brainwave entrainment: monaural beats, binaural beats and isochronic tones.
Isochronic tones is the only type that doesn't need a headphone to work, usually it's the more expensive and some claim it works better than the others (it's really hard to judge though).
Some think it's a pseudo-science, which just is not true! Tested against placebo and stuff.

I've been using it as a meditation aid for some months, more especifically the Project Meditation - Lifeflow Program.
It really works and I got some progress with it. But I must admit that one big turnoff was that in the end I realized it didn't help me develop my concentration, I mean, it was easier to concentrate with the audio, but without it seems like I haven't practiced at all.

I think the best way to describe it is: It have some meditation-related stuff, but it's not the same thing as meditation (I'm comparing with the mindfulness of the breath type of meditation).
Regardless, I usually still use it, just not without practicing concentration another time of the day.
And I think it's well worth it to get to know this. I love to use it as a sleep aid(I usually have problems trying to nap in the afternoon). And it's a great recommendation to friends who just are "not ready" for meditation, but have to deal with anxiety or stress-related problems, have trouble visualizing, etc.

I also have some tracks from unexplainable.net, really fishy site, but got some of the best tracks I got(though obviously it doesn't deliver the result they promise).
Oh, and of course, that marketing thing of "meditate like a zen monk in 10 minutes"? Complete bullshit, not a surprise though.

For those interested in reading more about this kind of technology, I recommend reading The Clinical Guide To Sound and Light, which can be found here: http://www.stanford.edu/group/brainwaves/2006/theclinicalguidetosoundandlight.pdf
thumbnail
Martin M, modified 12 Years ago at 1/24/12 5:11 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 1/24/12 5:11 PM

RE: Brainwave Entrainment

Hi,

my experiences are similar to yours. I actually got into meditation via Holosync (which is simliar to LifeFlow), later used Neuro-Programmer.
The value I see in it, is not a general increase in concentration (when meditating without) but a taste of what different relaxation/concentration states feel like at all. With the experience to which degree the mind is malleable, you have a reference point what to aim for (or avoid).
So it´s obviously more useful when starting out with meditation then later on when you´re able to reach these mind states without external help but by following jhana instructions instead.

I agree with

And it's a great recommendation to friends who just are "not ready" for meditation, but have to deal with anxiety or stress-related problems, have trouble visualizing, etc.

It´s a nice way to learn how to relax, especially in combination with progressive muscle relaxation or autogenic training.

Breadcrumb