"Getting Bigger"

thumbnail
John P, modified 12 Years ago at 1/24/12 11:47 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 1/24/12 11:47 AM

"Getting Bigger"

Hi.

I have an aunt that is a yoga teacher, vegan, know about ayurveda and lots of spiritual stuff.
Once I was talking with her about some sensations I felt while meditating, and she asked me if I ever felt like I was getting bigger. And I did have some experience like that! I told her I once felt like there were layers getting out of me quickly(in all directions, they faded quickly). Then she said it was an astral body something.
Turns out I didn't really ask for some clarification or any detail, but I kinda regret it now.
I know she knows some map, I think it's some yogi map with 7 stages or something, but it's to enlightenment and theorically equivalent to the map from MCTB.

Does anyone know that this is about?
thumbnail
Ross A K, modified 12 Years ago at 1/24/12 12:35 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 1/24/12 12:32 PM

RE: "Getting Bigger" (Answer)

Sounds like rapture to me.

From Ajhan Lee's craft of the heart

***The Five Forms of Rapture   
1. Minor rapture (khuddaka piti): Your hair stands on end, and tears come to your eyes, either with or without your being aware of the fact. This happens, not through a sense of sadness, but through a feeling of pleasure, fullness, and satisfaction in a skillful object.

2. Momentary rapture (khanika piti): A shiver runs through the body, and a feeling of satisfaction appears for a flash in the heart, like a flash of lightning or the flicker of lightning bugs.

3. Recurrent rapture (okkantika piti): A stronger sense of thrill comes over the body, like waves washing over a shore.

4. Transporting rapture (ubbega piti): A sense of transporting joy comes welling up through the body to the point where you lose control and start acting or speaking in various ways. For instance, sitting in concentration, you may suddenly raise your hands in adoration or bow down. If the feeling grows really strong, you may not be conscious of what you're doing. You may start speaking, the words coming out on their own without any forethought on your part.

5. Pervading rapture (pharana piti): A flush or tingling sensation spreads through and permeates the body. Sometimes the body itself appears to grow and swell, or else to become very small.

When any one of these forms of rapture arises, you should keep your powers of reference firm. Don't give in to the feeling and don't let it take over. Keep your mind unaffected. Don't lose your sense of your body and mind. Keep your words and actions firmly under control. Don't act under the influence of the feeling. If the sense of rapture comes in a gentle form, well and good; but if it comes in a strong form, and you give in to its power, you can easily get hooked and start jumping to false conclusions. Don't go assuming that you've gained this or reached that, because all of these feelings are inconstant, stressful, and not-self. If you get fixated on them, the mind won't be able to attain proper concentration of any worth or value. If you fall for them, they'll become enemies of your concentration and discernment.*****

Rapture can be a curuption of insight if given excess momentum ( letting onself be overcome by it) It also Is a factor in the jhanic formula and is one of the 7 factors of enlightenment.
In short it's typical stuff that comes up in meditation.
This Good Self, modified 12 Years ago at 1/24/12 6:13 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 1/24/12 6:13 PM

RE: "Getting Bigger"

I don't know if this helps. Actually yes I do... it won't. Nice lyrics though, (drug references and their effects).

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

And if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall
Tell 'em a hookah smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call
Call Alice
When she was just small