Relating to feelings in a friendly, naïve way

Joseph Weller, modified 12 Years ago at 2/1/12 6:40 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/1/12 6:40 AM

Relating to feelings in a friendly, naïve way

tarin greco:

do you understand that feelings are not evil, but rather are (simply) the source of evil (and good, for that matter)?

if so, do you also understand that feelings are instinctually engendered, and upon that, evil (and good) constructed?

if so, do you therefore understand that, feelings being instinctually engendered, neither you, nor anyone else, are to blame for your - or their - feelings?

if so, do you understand that with the cessation of such blame arises an opportunity to feel your feelings afresh?

if so, have you observed how, in feeling your feelings afresh, you do not feel distanced from them?

if so, have you observed how, in not feeling distanced from your feelings, you (automatically) feel naive?

if so, have you observed how, in feeling intimately naive, you are (being) naivete?

and have you observed how, in feeling intimately naive and thus being naivete, you are not (being either good or) evil?

Thanks Tarin, this is very helpful. It shows me I've been repressing my feelings without knowing it. I guess this is a good time to de-lurk and start a practice thread.
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 12 Years ago at 2/1/12 8:09 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/1/12 8:09 AM

RE: Relating to feelings in a friendly, naïve way

I guess this is a good time to de-lurk and start a practice thread.

Welcome to the DhO, nice to see another lurker sticking their head up. emoticon

When you're looking at feelings, see how and where they arise in the body; if something unpleasant, for example irritation or anger, appears then see if you can just observe it as it happens without trying to stop it, change it, repress or express it. When you start doing this, you can begin to see all the different components of the feeling and see how it happens. By doing this, you can learn to break it down and see how each feeling has a physical and a mental aspect, what it was that led to that feeling arising and the way in which your own mental narrative about that feeling allows it to continue.

Feelings are like messengers, they've got something to tell "you" and seem to light up the still, calmness underlying things so watch how the move, how the come into being and go away again. Here's a few links which may be of use:

Some useful notes from Tarin, Trent & Dan.
A post by Tarin on naivetè and sincerity.
A useful technique for getting back to naivetè.
A good way to operate in general...

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Tommy
thumbnail
josh r s, modified 12 Years ago at 2/1/12 10:27 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/1/12 10:27 AM

I agree, the quote is great. it makes me think of a buddhist concept, which is that you have to know the correct duty for each of the noble truths. the first noble truth is the truth of suffering and the duty is to comprehend its cause, the duty with regards to the second truth, the cause of suffering, is to let go of the cause. the repression can happen when we try to directly let go of suffering rather than observing and understanding suffering until we see its cause clearly enough to let the cause go.
thumbnail
Andrew , modified 12 Years ago at 2/2/12 1:24 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/2/12 1:24 AM

wow josh. That is fantastic. I needed to hear that. It is so easy to slip into 'escape mode' rather than 'understand and let go' mode.

It hurts because I am clenching my fist. The pain is not the problem, it is a symptom.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 12 Years ago at 2/2/12 4:50 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/2/12 4:47 AM

I agree with Tommy.

Feelings light up the body, like christmas lights, like fireflies in the forest, like sparkles on water, clarifying nerve endings and pathways of chemical messengers, showing us where body is, providing brighter objects for clear comprehension, making plain those things sometimes hidden.

Mindfulness
Investigation
Energy
Rapture
Tranquility
Concentration
Equanimity

These applied to feelings reveal very interesting and useful things.

Seen this way, one helps avoid the perennial traps of denial, dissociation, repression, and shadow sides.

Daniel
thumbnail
tarin greco, modified 12 Years ago at 2/10/12 3:55 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/10/12 3:55 AM

Joseph Weller:
tarin greco:

do you understand that feelings are not evil, but rather are (simply) the source of evil (and good, for that matter)?

if so, do you also understand that feelings are instinctually engendered, and upon that, evil (and good) constructed?

if so, do you therefore understand that, feelings being instinctually engendered, neither you, nor anyone else, are to blame for your - or their - feelings?

if so, do you understand that with the cessation of such blame arises an opportunity to feel your feelings afresh?

if so, have you observed how, in feeling your feelings afresh, you do not feel distanced from them?

if so, have you observed how, in not feeling distanced from your feelings, you (automatically) feel naive?

if so, have you observed how, in feeling intimately naive, you are (being) naivete?

and have you observed how, in feeling intimately naive and thus being naivete, you are not (being either good or) evil?

Thanks Tarin, this is very helpful. It shows me I've been repressing my feelings without knowing it. I guess this is a good time to de-lurk and start a practice thread.

you're welcome. if you like, let me know how things go.

Breadcrumb