how' s going daniel?

mai ben, modified 12 Years ago at 2/4/12 10:23 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/4/12 10:21 AM

how' s going daniel?

hello daniel

hope you do well!

time passed... objects change but the essence not.

just wanted to know if your claims from two years ago have changed or not? asava still there?

greetings
the 'first' traditionalist ;) hope you remember
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 12 Years ago at 2/4/12 3:03 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/4/12 3:03 PM

RE: how' s going daniel?

Hey, speaking of memory problems...

Thanks for your post, but...

I don't remember making any new claims 2 years ago or so, and I don't particularly remember you personally, no offense intended: were you on a thread here? If so, there have been thousands. Did you email me? If so, hundreds.

Anyway, whazzup?

How are you? Practicing? If so, what? If something, how is it going?

Daniel
mai ben, modified 12 Years ago at 2/5/12 2:48 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/5/12 2:48 AM

not remembering everything... me too... guess natural!? yes we emailed briefly ... "...since most people take language for granted/ deadly serious, one should be upmost careful to use the right approciate conventions as well at the right time and place. one has a certain responsibility...." sth like that.

you more or less answered my question already...

quite well, yep i practice, everything which turns out to be effective to stop producing unskillful causes for suffering, follow mostly timeless dhamma instructions ... 8fold path to be short. esp 7and8. 1to6 quite natural / effortless already. as well 1 2 3 of noble 'truths' or 'things which are seen naturally after certain realisations' .

what are you practising? why?

tell me please or give me a link or pagenumber after which observation you realised the 4noble truths. please more details also on number 3. thx

what is avijja which produces sankhara? could you give me please an practical example of the dependent origination? each point described how it is perceived observed by youself.

'asava' or 'out flows' still coming up? lust? restlessness? if yes whats your antidote?

have a relaxed day!
mai ben, modified 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 1:16 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 1:16 AM

Hello dan

Have you yet read the message? Or forgot to answer ..

By the way i used to have an extraordinary memory but since resently say half a year i recognize an unusual not being able to remember names and terms ... conventions! not events or this or that. just how it is called. means i forget language. I remember once my master told me he learned and was able to speak 6languages but forgot them all except his motherlanguage after full enlightenment.

Anyway hope you will have time and muse to answer

greetings
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 3:42 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 2:28 AM

Glad your practice is interesting and fruitful.

I am practicing paying attention, simply, directly, clearly, naturally. As to why, why not? Again, it is hard to argue with, I think.

As to Truth Number Three, that is a great question.

It is somewhat complex, perhaps, or it is very simple.

As to suffering, it depends on what you mean by suffering, and how much suffering is a direct result of having been born, having 6 sense doors and conditioned by life (see MN 122.12). There is physical pain from various causes, and beyond that it is hard to convince myself there is much in the way of suffering but there are a few subtleties to this question that I still find interesting, and perhaps when I have resolved those questions I'll let you know something.

As to dependent origination, various scholastic interpretations regarding certain aspects of the timing and timeframe over which certain aspects apply varies, but I will give you mine for the sake of this discussion...

On ignorance depend volitional formations. On volitions formations depends consciousness. On consciousness depend name and form. On name and form depend the six organs of sense depends contact.

I will stop there, as those are the most interesting.

When one, such as myself, realizes that there is no agent, no doer, no seer, no perceiver, then the links of the chain are seen very differently.

As there is no sense of any doer, controller, perceiver, or subject in this field of manifestation, then ignorance must have ceased by this very structure of logic.

And, given that there is no sense of volitional formations, meaning created actions by a self or subject or doer, it is easy to notice also that there is no perceiver, meaning that there is no awareness that is not phenomena, meaning in the seeing only the seen, in the hearing only the heard, in the feeling, just the felt. This was clearly seen almost 9 years ago in April, 2003. Thus, when one sees through the sense of volition or will, one sees through the observer or consciousness.

This direct perception of things also sees through the division of mental and physical, as the fundamental experience of just this is undifferentiated in that way and this is as obvious as color to a person with good eyesight is.

This direct perception, by the same direct and comprehensive way of perceiving, knows that the base experience is also undifferentiated into 6 sense doors, though the various qualities that imply them still occur just as before.

To say there is contact is not wrong in relative terms, but the basic experience is at once more fundamental than that, as that would imply sense doors, which actually can't be found beyond the basic sensations that seem to imply them.

Vedena (often translated as feeling) still occurs, in that things are pleasant, unpleasant or neutral. Here things get tricky. Vedena is causal, and discrimination still functions. In very relative terms, pleasure is still preferable to pain. This is obvious and not strange or unexpected. And here is where things get the most interesting, as, despite the standard hype, you can have seen all that, clearly, unshakably, seemingly permanently, and yet emotions still occur, and that is what you are asking about.

That is my current interesting project at this time, and when something changes, I will let you know.

Can you really call it clinging when this shimmering, shifting, ephemeral field changes and fluxes and pulses on its own?

Can you really call it attraction or aversion when the illusion of the core that seemed to try to want to move towards or away from pleasure and pain no longer is anything?

What do you think?

Daniel
mai ben, modified 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 11:12 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 6:31 AM

That is my current interesting project at this time, and when something changes, I will let you know.

some food for thought: what caused this interest? - not knowing sth important like this? how possible?
what is interest? - kind of subtle desire?
interest has which emotion flavour? - restlessness? what happens if you are not aware of these emotions? - becoming birth etc.?
is there an effortless total awareness which clearly sees becoming and birth doesnt occur anymore? or do you have to direct attention look for it?
change? - this.implies that you are still doing sth. which further implies that there are things left undone. not yet still or stop or hold.

Can you really call it clinging when this shimmering, shifting, ephemeral field changes and fluxes and pulses on its own?

for me these are two totally seperate things which are not necessarly dependend. one thing is the natural 'on its own' activity (if seen or not) and clinging is a possible reaction on this activity.
if one became aware of this selfless process in all its.facets and knowledge arose because of this which resulted in graduate or instant fruit (eredicates fetters) ... which resulted then in an non arising of sankhara aso up to clinging... then we could say they are dependend in that case.

Can you really call it attraction or aversion when the illusion of the core that seemed to try to want to move towards or away from pleasure and pain no longer is anything?

if i translate your words in a certain way and imply certain cessations after certain realisations.... no.

btw i know people who are path a long time before fruit. why buddha mentioned it so explicit if it differs not immensly. i will tell more details after i asked my master more specificly. maybe in a few months.

how long have you been in asia after 2003? with how many masters have you talked about technical terms and their meaning? are books and your own consideration your only reference? how many masters agree with you? the absolute is one not two. not the money and time worth to check this out?

anyway my discipline and meditation is still not enough to talk with confidence about the important topics. many things do not yet make sense.

i just wanted to check if you maybe can make some things clearer to me... but it was not so maybe because you dont know it yet throughly or i cannot understand your explanation in the way it was intended.
anyway very thanks for your try and goodwill. i gladly recognized an overall positive development here in this forum. more accurate language. more openess tolerance. thump up!

thx for your availability and skill! if i know more i will ask again.

until that time
all my best wishes for you and everyone here.
bye

edited for more satisfaction
End in Sight, modified 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 6:44 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 6:44 AM

mai ben:
btw i know people who are path a long time before fruit.

Can you describe how you think that would work, and any references you have (to texts or to others who believe that) in the thread "Path vs. fruition"?

Thanks.
mai ben, modified 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 10:59 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 10:59 PM

Sorry i can only speculate what he meant. i have to ask back . if i know more and it is worth to write i will let you know. not many can talk really about this. Experience is one thing but to get known the right convention is another.

Breadcrumb