Full Moon

thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 3:09 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 3:09 PM

Full Moon

Does anyone else get really agitated or otherwise affected when it's a full moon? Usually i'd be the last to believe in such things (horoscopes etc etc) but I swear I have been really agitated today (if you've seen my other post today, this started way before I broke my caffeine fast) --it was exactly the same last month.

I'd been really bored/restless and indecisive all day and then Mrs Bagpuss points out that it's a full moon. This does not seem to be something I'm making happen as I had no idea it was full moon, neither did I last month and it has happened many times before.

Anyone else?
thumbnail
Ross A K, modified 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 3:13 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 3:13 PM

RE: Full Moon

Hence the word 'lunacy' ;)
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 4:12 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 4:12 PM

and 'lunatic', which root-wise is equivalent to 'moonstruck'
thumbnail
josh r s, modified 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 4:17 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 4:17 PM

perhaps you have very precisely timed nana cycles, or are a werewolf
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 4:25 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 4:25 PM

Oh no, I'm a cycling loony werewolf...
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 4:38 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 4:38 PM

I was having a conversation about this earlier this evening actually, apparently the whole "lunacy" thing and the connection between to the full moon is a load of shite. You're in the UK aren't you? You'll probably know who Dr. Brian Cox is. Anyway, he said something about this a while back and it caused me to seriously consider whether or not there's any truth in it, so I've been looking at this for a few months now...prepare for ramblings aplenty emoticon

For years I've been under the impression that the full moon made me go a little bit mental, I was adamant that this was the reason why I'd become quite hyperactive and irritable in the days leading up to it as it seemed to happen, or so I thought, the same way every month. I rationalized this to myself on the basis that the moon is able to exert an influence on the oceans, the human body is whatever percentage it is of water and so it'd be perfectly natural for the effects of the moon to be felt within the body in some way. My background in magick with all it's astrological symbolism and hilarity played no small part in this either, but that's more complicated and even more subjective than the thing about the ocean affecting a human body.

So to see whether or not it really was the same set of feelings that appeared in the lead up to a full moon, I watched exactly what happened and all the different feelings that came up. The various factors involved in day-to-day life were also noted so that causality could be investigated and I could eliminate as many variables as possible while still trying to record as accurate a result as possible. To cut a long story short, I couldn't find any evidence of a causal connection between my own mental or emotional states and the full moon beyond the connections I set up, in my head, based on certain beliefs and preconceptions.

Basically I no longer believe that the full moon inevitably leads to these sorts of feelings for me, based on my own experience. This may not be the case for other people and I'm not sure whether or not there really is any fact in the claim. Apparently, according to Brian Cox at least, the thing about an increase in crime and all that sort of thing when there's a full moon actually started in the days before street lights, when the moon was full there was more light which led to more crimes being committed due to it being easier to see where you were going. Again, I don't know how much fact there is in that theory either but it's fun to look at it from different angles.
thumbnail
Jeff Grove, modified 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 5:23 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 5:23 PM

Through practices such as neigong and qigong you may become sensitive to the cycles of the moon. My experience has been that yang qi in the dantain peaks with the full moon then changes to empty. This cycle of full to empty and empty to full matches the waxing and waning of the 28 day moon cycle and is quite amazing and insightful when discovered.
thumbnail
Jane Laurel Carrington, modified 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 6:12 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 6:12 PM

Well I certainly have felt like a bundle of nerves all day, and I was up for hours in the middle of last night. Then again, it's hard to tell the difference between the influence of heavenly bodies and the way I usually feel emoticon. But if there's any truth to it, that's all the more reason for me not to think of any of this stuff manifesting as "me."
thumbnail
Jeff Grove, modified 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 8:15 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/7/12 8:12 PM

In the cycle there is an energetic flow moving up the Governing channel to the top of the head and down the Conception channel to the base of the perinenum every lunar cycle. When the moon is full the bodys qi reaches a peak filling the Bai Hui on top of the head. Someone who is hypersensitive to the energy may become restless. The moons qi is said to be full yang in yin. Through practice this movement of energy can be verified
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 12 Years ago at 2/8/12 4:02 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/8/12 4:02 AM

There is actually extensive literature on this, one summary article of which is by my old friend Dan Danzl, linked to abstract here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3584923

Which reads:

Abstract
To assess the moon's perceived impact on emergency medicine, a survey was conducted using a modified Belief in Lunar Effects (BILE) scale. Eighty percent of the respondent emergency department nurses and 64% of the emergency physicians believe that the moon affects patients. Of these nurses, 92% find lunar shifts more stressful and indicated lunar pay differentials are warranted. Medical, social, and administrative strategies to deal with lunacy are presented.
PMID: 3584923 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Underlining is mine.
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 12 Years ago at 2/8/12 5:32 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/8/12 5:31 AM

Tommy:
Apparently, according to Brian Cox at least, the thing about an increase in crime and all that sort of thing when there's a full moon actually started in the days before street lights, when the moon was full there was more light which led to more crimes being committed due to it being easier to see where you were going.

Funny thing is, I am quite blind and do not notice the moon unless someone points it out to me (and quite possibly physically point my head in the right direction!) and I don't read newspapers, listen to the news or do anything else that might give me a tip off as to the moons cycle. This weird behaviour just seems to happen right on schedule..

It does seem to "lead up" to the full moon now I think about it. But today, I feel settled. Rested (despite not sleeping a wink last night) and calm. Odd stuff.

Jeff:
Through practices such as neigong and qigong you may become sensitive to the cycles of the moon. My experience has been that yang qi in the dantain peaks with the full moon then changes to empty. This cycle of full to empty and empty to full matches the waxing and waning of the 28 day moon cycle and is quite amazing and insightful when discovered.

Jeff do you have a preferred source for more info on this stuff you're so knowledgeable in? I find it quite fascinating but wouldn't know where to begin...

Dan:
There is actually extensive literature on this, one summary article of which is by my old friend Dan Danzl, linked to abstract here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3584923

Brilliant!
Yilun Ong, modified 6 Years ago at 1/29/18 5:08 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 1/29/18 5:08 AM

Didn't want to start another thread, so I dug this out from its grave:

Upcoming lunar eclipse/blue/super moon:

Does anyone feel symptoms of stronger meditational effects, pains, mental excitation, sleep/bowel disturbances, etc? I seem to get raptures going stronger in the head and feel a pull towards the ground - not sure.

May be interesting to be mindful these few days of any relatable stuff to the moon or lack thereof! emoticon