Intuition About People

Jason Lissel, modified 12 Years ago at 2/10/12 3:45 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/10/12 3:45 PM

Intuition About People

This is a question for Tarin, Trent, or anyone else who has achieved something akin to AF.

Is it possible for you to have an accurate intuition about a person?

Examples:
You see a potential employee and you just know that they will fit in with everyone.
You meet a potential tenant and you just know there will be trouble if you let the room to them.
You talk to someone and you can tell they lied about something.
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 12 Years ago at 2/10/12 4:17 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/10/12 4:17 PM

RE: Intuition About People

You see a potential employee and you just know that they will fit in with everyone.
You meet a potential tenant and you just know there will be trouble if you let the room to them.
You talk to someone and you can tell they lied about something.

These examples have more to do with non-verbal communication and the ability read a persons unconscious signals than intuition, if we're using intuition in the sense of "the ability to acquire knowledge without inference or the use of reason." Some would argue, and usually New Age types and those less than able to apply reasonable skepticism to such things, that such abilities are "psychic" or somehow magical but they're not.

In the first example, an employer will have an idea in mind of what they want from a potential employee. They may justify their reasons for choosing that person from a group of other candidates as having been "intuitive" but that's down to an inability to accurately recall the mental processes they went through to arrive at that decision. It's far more likely that the successful candidate demonstrated specific traits and skills, or knew how to send the right signals (if they're skilled (or manipulative) enough) to give the impression that they had them, which the employer considered desirable.

In the second one, I would imagine that a landlord with experience of tenants would have also have a rough idea of what sort of person he/she wanted living in their property. Perhaps the person who showed up to view the property conducted themselves in a way which gave them the impression that they might be troublesome, maybe something about their body language and non-verbal communication suggested, subconsciously and based on their previous experience in similar situations, that the person had ulterior motives.

The third example is an easy one, it's a piece of piss to tell when someone is lying if you know how to do so consciously. Some people might pick up on things without being aware of them and call it "intuitive" but it's quite simple to learn this and use it with a high success rate. Voice tone, eye movement, micro expression, changes in pallor, rate of respiration and all manner of subtle, almost unnoticeable unless you're trained to see them, signals can be used to tell this.

I can cold read people, hypnotized people, force images into peoples heads, messed with their sense of time, and loads of tricks like this using simple non-verbal signalling and taking advantage of the subtle processed most people aren't aware of. Some people think I'm psychic, some people are convinced that I'm a magician who can cause things to happen or read minds but (almost) all of it is done through simple techniques common to stage magic, con artistry and fake psychics. Nothing special.
Jason Lissel, modified 12 Years ago at 2/10/12 5:26 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/10/12 5:26 PM

Tommy M:

These examples have more to do with non-verbal communication and the ability read a persons unconscious signals than intuition, if we're using intuition in the sense of "the ability to acquire knowledge without inference or the use of reason." Some would argue, and usually New Age types and those less than able to apply reasonable skepticism to such things, that such abilities are "psychic" or somehow magical but they're not.

Yeah, I'm asking about intuition in the sense of reading unconscious signals, nothing spiritual. Mirror neurons. I'm thinking AF people may not be able to do it since they probably can't look at a person and get a sense of what they feel.
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 12 Years ago at 2/11/12 2:20 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/11/12 2:20 PM

I'm thinking AF people may not be able to do it since they probably can't look at a person and get a sense of what they feel.

In my experience this isn't the case. I'm not claiming to gave gotten AF, since nobody other than Richard (and whoever he decides) has actually got it, but when functioning with no affective overlay being added to things then it's entirely possible to pick up on the same cues. In fact I'd go so far as to say that it's easier to do so as there's no emotional distortion of the signal, I use this sort of thing on a daily basis.
Jason Lissel, modified 12 Years ago at 2/11/12 2:56 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/11/12 2:56 PM

Tommy M:

In my experience this isn't the case. I'm not claiming to gave gotten AF, since nobody other than Richard (and whoever he decides) has actually got it, but when functioning with no affective overlay being added to things then it's entirely possible to pick up on the same cues. In fact I'd go so far as to say that it's easier to do so as there's no emotional distortion of the signal, I use this sort of thing on a daily basis.

Cool..... Are you talking about consciously or unconsciously picking up individual ques?

E.g. When I can tell someone is lying, I can't pinpoint why. There's just a very subtle sense that there's a lie (unconscious)
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 12 Years ago at 2/11/12 3:29 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/11/12 3:29 PM

Cool..... Are you talking about consciously or unconsciously picking up individual ques?

E.g. When I can tell someone is lying, I can't pinpoint why. There's just a very subtle sense that there's a lie (unconscious)

For me, because I worked quite hard to learn how to do this sort of thing, more often than not it's done consciously but I can see where you're coming from about picking it up in a less conscious way. I don't know if perhaps it's an ability that most people have but just don't bring it into conscious awareness, but I remember being able to pick up on cues like that without really knowing how I knew it before I learned how to do it properly.

When it comes to lying, it's possible that you're picking up on a subtle change in voice tone or any of the other little signals without consciously acknowledging it. Part of the way you learn to do this well is seeing what that persons baseline behaviour is, it's then possible to pick up on those changes in that baseline which indicate an inconsistent response. If you're with someone you know well and you know how they'd normally respond honestly to a question, you're in a position to make a comparison between your previous knowledge of their behaviour and the way in which they respond in that moment. Unless you're aware of the processes involved consciously then you're likely to find another rationalization which makes sense to you, usually this comes down to things like "I just knew they were lying" or "something didn't feel right".

There's a lot involved in it to be honest, things ranging from how accurately we recall events, deletion of what we consider to be useless information, generalization, and all manner of issues with how we process information. It's interesting to read into. What I'm saying here may be unique to me, or others who have learned to do this sort of thing with a reasonable level of skill, so it'd probably be useful to get the opinion of some other people on here who haven't done this.

Try watching if you can consciously observe these sort of things, play around with misdirection and distraction 'cause it's a lots of fun. Try going into a shop and, for example, asking for a certain brand of cigarettes from behind the counter but point to something in the opposite direction and watch how the person reacts. They will almost always follow the non-verbal gesture and it's quite hilarious to see their face when they realize. emoticon
Jason Lissel, modified 12 Years ago at 2/11/12 4:21 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/11/12 4:20 PM

Hahaha emoticon

When you had your long PCE were you able to unconsciously sense things about people? Do you think AF people without training in the various signals can do it?

As an affective person I can see how this ability is useful (everyone has it to an extent). If an AF person doesn't have it it would seem to be a bit of a disadvantage in certain situations.