Experimenting with a new meditation object. . .

thumbnail
Matthew C Allen, modified 12 Years ago at 2/14/12 6:01 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/14/12 6:01 PM

Experimenting with a new meditation object. . .

For about a week now I have been experimenting with a metronome app on my android phone that can go up to 40hz. I've only been using 10Hz because that is the current limit of my perceptual threshold per second. I would like to hear any opinions or suggestions regarding using a metronome-type of device as a meditation object for insight and/or concentration practices.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 12 Years ago at 2/14/12 7:14 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/14/12 7:14 PM

RE: Experimenting with a new meditation object. . . (Answer)

I haven't used one but it is a very interesting idea

Just a few things:

With very repetative objects it is easy to lose the freshness, such that the mind may start glossing over the fine details of each pulse

Try to perceive the arising and passing of each pulse

Try to see the interfenence between the beats and anything else

Try to see the tension as you get close to your cutting edge of resolution
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 12 Years ago at 2/14/12 7:27 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/14/12 7:27 PM

RE: Experimenting with a new meditation object. . . (Answer)

Try to perceive the arising and passing of each pulse

This is a really good one to use for any auditory stuff, in my experience. Gaining deep insight from the sound of a washing machine was quite a surprise. Ha!

Something else I'd add to Daniel's list is to see if you notice any tension before the sound happens, like the mind is preempting the sound and moves towards it in some way.
thumbnail
Matthew C Allen, modified 12 Years ago at 2/15/12 10:49 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/15/12 10:28 AM

RE: Experimenting with a new meditation object. . .

Thanks for the input.

I have noticed, when I cycle back to the A&P during my meditation, more fine details in the pulses, So I've been working on keeping in touch with the freshness while I'm in other parts of the cycle.

I have been able to notice the interference between each pulse most of the time, and have considered how this might actually be separate pulses/beats themselves -- so I might be on my way to perceiving up to 20 Hz.

I have noticed the tension between pulses, but it does not always present itself to my perception so I am really working on that one.

I have found the metranome app very good as a concentration object as well. I can start at the shore of Access Concentration, "surf the bliss wave" of the 1st through 4th Jhanas, ride the wake of the wave through the 5th through 8th Jhanas, and get to the next shore to reach the Pure Land Realms, and Nirodha Samapatti.

I have only hit Nirodha Samapatti once since really focusing on developing my concentration practice a couple of months ago. I did it this past weekend while using the metranome app as my concentration abject. I kind of noticed Pure Land One and Pure Land Two, but it was like I rode a strong wake to the shore, hit a sand dune and skipped over the sand castles and sculptures of the Pure Land Realms straight to the shaded beach chair and umbrella drink of Nirodha Samapatti. Excuse the anaolgies, but it was the best way I could describe what happened.
thumbnail
Matthew C Allen, modified 12 Years ago at 2/15/12 10:34 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 2/15/12 10:34 AM

RE: Experimenting with a new meditation object. . .

Thank you for this idea. I have noticed the tension sometimes, but was not necessarily focused on that. I will keep this in mind from now on though.

Gaining insight from the sound of a soda machine at work was a welcome surprise for me too. emoticon

Breadcrumb