Vippassana to Jhana pitfalls

thumbnail
Howard Clegg, modified 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 5:52 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 5:52 AM

Vippassana to Jhana pitfalls

Hi everyone

I've decided to go back to basics and do the Jhana thing after years beyond counting of insight practice. I have some excellent "how to" books by Shaila Catherine "Wisdom wide and Deep" and "Focused and Fearless," does anyone have any other recomendations? Also I've been doing vippassana for so long that my mind just wants to notice every damn thing and not just the senstions around my nostrils. Is this a problem?

Thanks

Howard
thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 7:16 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 7:16 AM

RE: Vippassana to Jhana pitfalls

HI Howard -

Also I've been doing vippassana for so long that my mind just wants to notice every damn thing and not just the senstions around my nostrils. Is this a problem?
I think it's just a matter of practicing putting the mind back at the breath even as it notes. It will, by consistent re-placement at the nostrils, learn to stay and focus there. Also, for myself, I sit with my hands together in my lap - their sensation as separate hands merges at some moment into just a single sensation and that sensation spreads (or sustains a base of formless sensation as the mind settles and can give in to the jhanas).

I am not sure why, but I am not a huge fan of concentrated states, so I may focus on this in another thread - if only to understand my slight disregard. Why are you interested in going into more concentration these days?
thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 7:35 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 7:34 AM

does anyone have any other recomendations?
I am referring to Daniel's MCTB and Ven. Dhammadipa Thero, the Czech-born Theravadan monk (if you can attend any of his retreats - usually in Germany or Northeast USA - he is well-known for conveying the jhanas; you can find his talks online).

[edit: added 'Thero']
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 9:23 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 9:23 AM

Hi Howard,

You might want to start at the lighter end of the light/hard scale as those terms are used in MCTB. The meditative absorption page at Leigh Brasington's site is a good place to start.

Eric
thumbnail
Howard Clegg, modified 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 2:01 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 11:07 AM

Katy
“ I am not sure why, but I am not a huge fan of concentrated states, so I may focus on this in another thread - if only to understand my slight disregard. Why are you interested in going into more concentration these days?”

Oh many reasons, perhaps I should just list them and people can decide which ones are dumb.

1) Attainment envy: I do feel under qualified, especially now I am finding myself teaching others. I've never had the classical training and am a crap scholar. I always do first, find out what happened after. So my instinct with Jhana is just dive in and do it.

2) Curiosity: Just that, I would love to know just for the sake of it.

3) I'm at a loose end practice wise. I was studying with Kenneth and Beth Folk for a while but my illness got in the way and continues to do so. Kenneth introduced me to Dzogche/Non-dual which after a few false starts I loved and got pretty "good" at. Then I got a bit too keen and was craving for it like chocolate, so then the emphasis was to see the craving for Dzogchen and let it come and go, which is does, I am happy to say.

Then Kenneth encouraged me to do the 24/7 mindfulness thing, which I found challenging especially since the symptoms of my illness are bizarre and frightening. Add to this that the physical sensations of fear are also bizarre and frightening and the whole 360 mindfulness thing becomes problematic. I dropped formal sitting for a while and found this to be very therapeutic as it was all getting too precious. When I went back to the cushion, I instinctively reverted to a very old fashioned vippassana approach and made stong resolutions to "firmly notice" all my symptoms and associated baggage. This "worked" and I found that it was mostly smoke and mirrors, rather like Re-Ob, or perhaps (gasp!) it was Re-Ob.

Now I find that my off-the-cushion momentary concentration is good and stable, but I don't know where to go with my sitting practice. It’s all been so challenging over the last couple of months that I want a bit of structure. One thing non-dual is not is structured, Jhana practice offers a lot of it. Because of my illness I have to spend a lot of my time sitting down so I need a project that does not involve too much physical activity and is intellectually stimulating, doing Jhana plus the associated study appears to fit the bill.

4) Health benefits, these are supposedly many and varied when referring to Jhana. I like the sound of that.

But

What if the whole "confront thy symptoms" bit was actually Re-Ob for real? In that case surely I need to be doing insight like a mad man, illness or no.

PS Katy, I love your posts on the structure of perception, maybe you can answer a question for me, what is an attention wave? I feel like I should know or that the understanding is floating in front of my eyes just missing the appropriate words.
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 11:54 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 11:54 AM

DOH! How could I forget the excellent "The Genreal All purpose Jhana Thread" right here on the DhO?
thumbnail
Howard Clegg, modified 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 12:57 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 12:57 PM

Eric Bause:
DOH! How could I forget the excellent "The Genreal All purpose Jhana Thread" right here on the DhO?

Yes indeed! I confess to reading more of the debate rather than the MCTB itself, which appears to be of the "Soft Jhana" camp. Shaila Catherine does appear to come from the "Hard Jhana" persuasion, I'm not sure if I want that. But the criterion are certainly very clear. Its not enough to have nice sensations and then shift your focus to those, this is just access concentration. She says you need to have nimitta plus a tranquil rather than just a peacefull mind. My question is, is there a downside to adopting a rigorous approach? Given that all practice is good practice on some level.
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 1:29 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 1:29 PM

[quote=Howard CleggYes indeed! I confess to reading more of the debate rather than the MCTB itself, which appears to be of the "Soft Jhana" camp. Shaila Catherine does appear to come from the "Hard Jhana" persuasion, I'm not sure if I want that. But the criterion are certainly very clear. Its not enough to have nice sensations and then shift your focus to those, this is just access concentration. She says you need to have nimitta plus a tranquil rather than just a peacefull mind. My question is, is there a downside to adopting a rigorous approach? Given that all practice is good practice on some level.

You've summarized some aspects of the debate above. I spent a lot of time waiting for a "light" nimitta to manifest, merge with the anapana spot and then take me into absorption; if I continued in that mode, I'd probably still be "waiting" for it to happen. It is my understanding that this approach is best done in retreat, and even then, under optimal retreat conditions, it is a gradual process.

The line between access concentration and first jhana is drawn in different places by different individuals. But what i do know, experientially, is that you can use the breath to get the nice sensation and use the nice sensation to get your foot in the door; the soft jhanas can then enable you to cultivate one poinedness that will then take you deeper.
thumbnail
Howard Clegg, modified 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 1:45 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 1:45 PM

Eric Bause:

You've summarized some aspects of the debate above. I spent a lot of time waiting for a "light" nimitta to manifest, merge with the anapana spot and then take me into absorption; if I continued in that mode, I'd probably still be "waiting" for it to happen. It is my understanding that this approach is best done in retreat, and even then, under optimal retreat conditions, it is a gradual process.

The line between access concentration and first jhana is drawn in different places by different individuals. But what i do know, experientially, is that you can use the breath to get the nice sensation and use the nice sensation to get your foot in the door; the soft jhanas can then enable you to cultivate one poinedness that will then take you deeper.

Oh okay, thats a shame. No chance of me doing any kind of retreat anytime soon.

Moving on then. So the nice sensation, is it a field thing, or rooted in any particular spot on the body? Is it body bliss? Is it "mental" pleasure? Not sure what that is. I'd love to know how it happened to you personally.
thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 12 Years ago at 3/12/12 10:44 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/11/12 9:17 PM

Hi Howard:

PS (...) maybe you can answer a question for me, what is an attention wave? I feel like I should know or that the understanding is floating in front of my eyes just missing the appropriate words.

Attention wave: this is not really my phrase. People have used it here on the site, and in Daniel's book there are several reference to wave-like comparisons (pages 17, 207, 225...). I think Daniel addresses this phrase someone on the site and what he means when he uses it.

I can only understand this phrase as a form of delay between attention and the object. If one's attention is exactly adhered to the object (and, in my experience, this has come about through a process of loss of oneself (such constantly re-placing one's thinking/feeling activity of mind on breathing or at the sense faculties as they are tripped by their respective sense objects, for examples) and not by a process of adding to oneself a skill of concentration (though that budding skill of concentration is what results), then it is as though that which was called and perceived as "attention" --- (and which "attention" can a) follow sensations, b) be able to perceive sensations from the vantage of being distinct from them and c) thus describe sensations as 'waves' (an observer's view causes perception of form and consequently causes naming) ---- that distinct "attention-which-can-perceive-waveness" becomes may transform into a commissure-occurring (an ongoingness) between viewer and object and there are no longer two separate entities (sensation and attention), rather there is now a process occurring that causes two entities to become a magnetizing commissure (and I am not saying that I and object "become one", yet the "bridging" does cause two objects to be perceived empty of duality or separation. I think the process could be called "bridging" when attention is in commissure with its object, and it could be called attention wave when there is an ability to "follow the sensations" (which comprises a separation between attention and object). But that is very semantic and it may well be that people who use the phrase "attention wave" intend the same event of connecting. Does that make sense cognitively, if not in your experience?

There is a thread on this topic somewhere and I think Daniel speaks to it directly, and perhaps you can locate that.

Further to the Shaila Catherine comments, you might like Richard Shankman's book on Samadhi. He discusses on pgs 80-81 some of the differences between Vissudhimagga jhana and sutta jhana and how those arose (translating kaya). In the back of the book practitioners like Ajhan Brahmavamso (AB's) comment on their experience of these two views of jhana (including nimitta).

Because of my illness I have to spend a lot of my time sitting down so I need a project that does not involve too much physical activity and is intellectually stimulating, doing Jhana plus the associated study appears to fit the bill.
Ajhan Brahmavamso was a student of Ajhan Chah and Ajhan Chah's mastery over malaria inspired me during a roughly 3-yr sickness. Here is the link is to Ajahn Jayasaro recounting the story, which story starts around 3min and 15sec.
Related to illness, not knowing one iota of what ails you (but thinking of this when you mention the psych aspects) and not having any healthcare license whatesoever, you might consider the ketogenic diet (KD) (though it is not for diabetics without very attentive medical supervision, even hospitalized supervision - I don't know). I did this diet by accident through by trial and error and it worked, then someone here on the DhO told me about "ketogenic diet"; after looking it up, I realized I had been doing KD on/off and getting progressively healthier. There is much research on it, and currently Oxford is testing it in regards to Parkinson's Disease. KD is also a well-known seizure therapy and there is abundant anecdotal evidence of its aid in Alzheimer's Disease and some aggressive cancers (e.g., GBMs).

Good luck. I have a lot of practice to do emoticon

___
edits: in red and purple. I would also like to say that it is best to understand my comments (if they are understandable) as quite novice. I have, in only my opinion, just become trainable.
thumbnail
Howard Clegg, modified 12 Years ago at 3/12/12 2:35 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/12/12 2:30 PM

katy steger:
Hi Howard:

PS (...) maybe you can answer a question for me, what is an attention wave? I feel like I should know or that the understanding is floating in front of my eyes just missing the appropriate words.

Attention wave: this is not really my phrase. People have used it here on the site, and in Daniel's book there are several reference to wave-like comparisons (pages 17, 207, 225...). I think Daniel addresses this phrase someone on the site and what he means when he uses it.

I can only understand this phrase as a form of delay between attention and the object. If one's attention is exactly adhered to the object (and, in my experience, this has come about through a process of loss of oneself (such constantly re-placing one's thinking/feeling activity of mind on breathing or at the sense faculties as they are tripped by their respective sense objects, for examples) and not by a process of adding to oneself a skill of concentration (though that budding skill of concentration is what results), then it is as though that which was called and perceived as "attention" --- (and which "attention" can a) follow sensations, b) be able to perceive sensations from the vantage of being distinct from them and c) thus describe sensations as 'waves' (an observer's view causes perception of form and consequently causes naming) ---- that distinct "attention-which-can-perceive-waveness" becomes may transform into a commissure-occurring (an ongoingness) between viewer and object and there are no longer two separate entities (sensation and attention), rather there is now a process occurring that causes two entities to become a magnetizing commissure (and I am not saying that I and object "become one", yet the "bridging" does cause two objects to be perceived empty of duality or separation. I think the process could be called "bridging" when attention is in commissure with its object, and it could be called attention wave when there is an ability to "follow the sensations" (which comprises a separation between attention and object). But that is very semantic and it may well be that people who use the phrase "attention wave" intend the same event of connecting. Does that make sense cognitively, if not in your experience?

Certainly, this makes a lot of sense. I have often experience sensations where “me” appears to be searching for stimulation and then “me” appears to be responding to stimulation. It’s a bit like a light flashing on and off; me, it, me, it, me, it ect. Or it appears to be a bunch of parallel processes, one of which is “me” and this “me” then samples the other processes sequentially and builds a picture of reality. There also appears to be a time lag between the sampling or the flashing or what have you. This sounds a bit like an attention wave, but semantics get in the way as usual.
In Dzogchen the whole lot collapses under its own weight. Sensations appear independent, perfect, new born and delightful. “Structure,” stops having any meaning. I think this is why I was getting confused as a wave function does not necessarily imply structure, so I figured it might be a non-dual phenomenon. It looks like the attention wave is a description of dualistic consciousness and this now makes a lot more sense, so thank you.
I’m not sure about the commissure thing though, this sounds a bit like non-dual, but from my experience there is no point putting dual and non-dual in the same ball park so I don’t know if I’m really getting what you are describing. In Dzogchen all sensations appear totally independent with not connection or “bridge” at all, how this stacks with dependent arising I have no idea, but I see what I see.

Further to the Shaila Catherine comments, you might like Richard Shankman's book on Samadhi. He discusses on pgs 80-81 some of the differences between Vissudhimagga jhana and sutta jhana and how those arose (translating kaya). In the back of the book practitioners like Ajhan Brahmavamso (AB's) comment on their experience of these two views of jhana (including nimitta).

Thanks for the tip.

Because of my illness I have to spend a lot of my time sitting down so I need a project that does not involve too much physical activity and is intellectually stimulating, doing Jhana plus the associated study appears to fit the bill.
Ajhan Brahmavamso was a student of Ajhan Chah and Ajhan Chah's mastery over malaria inspired me during a roughly 3-yr sickness. Here is the link is to Ajahn Jayasaro recounting the story, which story starts around 3min and 15sec.
Related to illness, not knowing one iota of what ails you (but thinking of this when you mention the psych aspects) and not having any healthcare license whatesoever, you might consider the ketogenic diet (KD) (though it is not for diabetics without very attentive medical supervision, even hospitalized supervision - I don't know). I did this diet by accident through by trial and error and it worked, then someone here on the DhO told me about "ketogenic diet"; after looking it up, I realized I had been doing KD on/off and getting progressively healthier. There is much research on it, and currently Oxford is testing it in regards to Parkinson's Disease. KD is also a well-known seizure therapy and there is abundant anecdotal evidence of its aid in Alzheimer's Disease and some aggressive cancers (e.g., GBMs).

I have something called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which is exactly that. There are a raft of symptoms, some more significant than others but the significance can change rapidly over time. This gives rise to high levels of anxiety and frustration. The “firm noticing” really helps with this uncertainly and helps the underlying condition a little. I will certainly check out your suggestions, I’m always looking into ways of using practice to understand this better.

Hmm ketogenic diet does not sound so good to me, with CFS you really need your carbs.

___
edits: in red and purple. I would also like to say that it is best to understand my comments (if they are understandable) as quite novice. I have, in only my opinion, just become trainable.

I don’t belive that for a minute.

On a general note I’m getting a fair bit of joy and happiness in the last couple of sits. These are Jhana factors I believe, so It look like I’m on the right track.

Metta
Howard
thumbnail
Tarver , modified 12 Years ago at 3/13/12 12:04 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/13/12 12:04 AM

Here are two sources which I have recently found helpful:

Ven. Bhante Henepola Gunaratana's doctoral dissertation, A Critical Analysis of the Jhanas in Theravada Buddhist Meditation summarizes the ancient texts very clearly.

Essentials of insight meditation practice: a pragmatic approach to vipassana by Ven. Sujiva, though generally geared toward insight, contains an excellent discussion of the difference between concentration and insight practice, especially in chapters 12 & 13.

Although I haven't actually read it yet, I am looking at a copy of Wisdom Wide and Deep right here and just flipping through it I can't imagine that Shaila Catherine has missed anything from the traditional point of view. Though undoubtedly authoritative, it just seems staggeringly complex, doesn't it?
thumbnail
Howard Clegg, modified 12 Years ago at 3/13/12 6:26 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/13/12 6:26 AM

Here are two sources which I have recently found helpful:

Ven. Bhante Henepola Gunaratana's doctoral dissertation, A Critical Analysis of the Jhanas in Theravada Buddhist Meditation summarizes the ancient texts very clearly.

Essentials of insight meditation practice: a pragmatic approach to vipassana by Ven. Sujiva, though generally geared toward insight, contains an excellent discussion of the difference between concentration and insight practice, especially in chapters 12 & 13.

Thanks I will check these out.

Although I haven't actually read it yet, I am looking at a copy of Wisdom Wide and Deep right here and just flipping through it I can't imagine that Shaila Catherine has missed anything from the traditional point of view. Though undoubtedly authoritative, it just seems staggeringly complex, doesn't it?

Yes, and in the past that has put me off. Why not just observe what is right in front of my eyes? But now I feel up for a project, I have time on my hands and I'm in no hurry, so why not? It does feel rather authoritative, but the instructions are really clear and I like that.

However, I'm already seeing some divergence creeping in. I've had the jhana factors of joy and happiness arise in the last few days but they have been rather slippery. I've been locked very tightly on to my object as I thought that was the instruction. Today I got tired of this and loosened my focus to hold my object in the center of a larger field of awareness and Jhana factors arose much more stongly and reliably. They are a bit messy and tainted but very much present. But is this how Shaila Catherine was taught? I need to check.
thumbnail
Tarver , modified 12 Years ago at 3/13/12 8:36 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/13/12 8:36 AM

Howard Clegg:
I've had the jhana factors of joy and happiness arise in the last few days but they have been rather slippery.

Our very own Ian And addressed this exact point quite recently in another thread here.
thumbnail
Howard Clegg, modified 12 Years ago at 3/13/12 9:55 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/13/12 9:55 AM

Mate, thanks. Maybe I shouldn't get so hung up on what Shaila Catherine says, although she is very readable. The issue with joy, rapture, happiness ect appears to have a solution, for me in any case. You will probably hate me for this. I've been doing insight on and off for about 20 years. Frequently during that time joy ect. has arisen sponteaniously, the standard response in vippassana is "uh-huh" and then carry on with the practice. I did not occur to me that this is the same as the piti and sukha that I've been looking for with Jhana practice. I just had to "allow" myself to see it. This makes sense as piti has to arise somewhere in your sensory awareness and if you are too focused on your object, like I was, It just will not be seen. Forcing the issue is so dumb.
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 12 Years ago at 3/13/12 10:54 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/13/12 10:54 AM

Howard Clegg:

Moving on then. So the nice sensation, is it a field thing, or rooted in any particular spot on the body? Is it body bliss? Is it "mental" pleasure? Not sure what that is. I'd love to know how it happened to you personally .

I was sitting with the sensation of the breath at the anapana spot. Once my sittings got to around teh 1 hour mark, I started to experience piti for the first time. When this started happening, I didn't pay attention to it--the instructions were to stay with the breath at the anapana spot until the nimitta arose. I didn't know about the instructions to make the rising pleasant sensation the focus then; even when I learned about it, it took me a while to make the transition because I was convinced I was just a few breaths away from the nimitta and consequent absorption.

Howard Clegg:
Mate, thanks. Maybe I shouldn't get so hung up on what Shaila Catherine says, although she is very readable. The issue with joy, rapture, happiness ect appears to have a solution, for me in any case. You will probably hate me for this. I've been doing insight on and off for about 20 years. Frequently during that time joy ect. has arisen sponteaniously, the standard response in vippassana is "uh-huh" and then carry on with the practice. I did not occur to me that this is the same as the piti and sukha that I've been looking for with Jhana practice. I just had to "allow" myself to see it. This makes sense as piti has to arise somewhere in your sensory awareness and if you are too focused on your object, like I was, It just will not be seen. Forcing the issue is so dumb.

When the piti rises: just let go into it; let yourself sink in. The similes in the Suttas are apt descriptions. The more you do it the moe easily it will flow.
thumbnail
Howard Clegg, modified 12 Years ago at 3/15/12 4:36 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/15/12 4:36 PM

Yes this sounds familiar. I'm finding piti rising a lot more now. Interestingly when I "see" a hinderance and it dissolves I get a little pulse of pleasure. Maybe its the physical sensation of smugness. Joke.

I find that I'm holding my central focus and the pleasure as a dual support at the moment. The piti/suka is not quite self sustaining. Overall this is proving to be a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be. I'm so used to po-faced insight, this feels overdue.
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 12 Years ago at 3/16/12 1:24 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/16/12 1:24 PM

Howard Clegg:
Yes this sounds familiar. I'm finding piti rising a lot more now. Interestingly when I "see" a hinderance and it dissolves I get a little pulse of pleasure. Maybe its the physical sensation of smugness. Joke.

I find that I'm holding my central focus and the pleasure as a dual support at the moment. The piti/suka is not quite self sustaining. Overall this is proving to be a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be. I'm so used to po-faced insight, this feels overdue.

It sounds like you've got your foot in the door. As to the piti/suka being self sustaining, it becomes more so with the passage of time, but I still tend to drift in and out of it to some degree--how much so seems to vary from day to day.

Breadcrumb