Balance, The Dark Night and Equanimity

thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 12 Years ago at 3/16/12 4:05 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/16/12 4:04 AM

Balance, The Dark Night and Equanimity

To what extent does physical wellbeing influence practice?

From experience, I can say that I am more likely to be in Equanimity when I'm well rested. I found on my last retreat that although well into the 4th vipassana jhana by day 5 or 6, as sleep deprivation started to get the better of me I would slip further and further back. At home I've found that if I have a cold or other such minor illness I'm quite likely to slide back into the DN also. I suspect I spend much of my day in the DN. I'm always tired.

What is your experience of tiredness, wellbeing and the Dark Night vs Equanimity?

Im a bit worried about trying to do the full 4am thing on an upcoming retreat. In my case I am thinking less may well be more. But I'd value the input of the DhO!
thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 12 Years ago at 3/16/12 5:22 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/16/12 5:22 AM

RE: Balance, The Dark Night and Equanimity

[indent]MAJJHIMA NIKĀYA II
II. 2. 5. Bhaddālisuttaṃ
(65) Advice to Venerable Bhaddāli

I heard thus. At one time the Blessed One was living in the monastery offered by Anāthapiṇḍika in Jeta's grove in Sāvatthi. The Blessed One addressed from there. Bhikkhus, I partake a single meal for the day, and on accont of it experience few afflictions, few ailments, lightness, power, and a pleasant abiding. Come! bhikkhus, you too partake a single meal for the day, and on accont of it experience few afflictions, few ailments, lightness, power, and a pleasant abiding. When this was said venerable Bhaddali said thus to the Blessed One-Venerable sir, I would not venture to eat one meal for the day. Eating one meal a day, doubts and remorse arise to me. Then Bhaddali, when you are invited do you partake there, and carry away food to another region and partake it? Bhaddali are you supported that way too? Even then venerable sir, I would not venture to eat one meal for the day. Eating one meal a day, doubts and remorse arise to me. When the Blessed One, was laying down the rules and the Community of bhikkhus accepting to abide by the rules, venerable Bhaddali was not venturing to accept them. So Venerable Bhaddali did not come to the presence of the Blessed One during those three months as one incomplete in the training, in the dispensation. of the Teacher.
[/indent]

Eating one meal per day during an intensive is useful. I ate one meal to one and a half (salad being the half) and found it very useful to practice nad ealy rising. Sometimes I ate the evening meal (makes early rising harder), sometimes the morning meal and, for the first few days, and for the last day, I ate a salad at lunch. I drank plenty of hot water, except for one day, where it was also easy to drink very little. (I broke this food guideline one day after several hours of immobility in jhana and ate the three provided meals - and I regret it as it impacted practice and mind; I caused my own greater aggitation. Good luck.
thumbnail
Jane Laurel Carrington, modified 12 Years ago at 3/16/12 2:10 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/16/12 2:10 PM

My experience is that as I got more deeply into high equanimity, my physical condition mattered less. I never was much for skipping meals (my blood sugar reacts catastrophically), but I also have noticed that even an hour after a meal, the mind is more apt to be sluggish.
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 12 Years ago at 3/16/12 4:32 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/16/12 4:32 PM

I don't really have any trouble following the 8 precepts on retreat. It's the sleep that does me in.

My experience thus far has shown a very real link between tiredness and equanimity vs reobservation - I guess I will have to play it by ear!

Breadcrumb