Please describe the daily meal for a typical Thervadin monk

thumbnail
fivebells , modified 12 Years ago at 3/28/12 10:19 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/28/12 10:09 AM

Please describe the daily meal for a typical Thervadin monk

I'd be grateful for detailed info on what Theravadin monks typically eat during their daily meal, and how much of it.

For health reasons I've been experimenting with the one-meal-a-day regime for the past ten days. I can make it work, with a bit of rice milk in the afternoon, but the amount of food I am eating is pretty stupendous. For instance, this morning I ate two sausages, three large eggs, an apple, an orange, 1.5 cups of rolled oats, a large soup spoon of honey, and an avocado. I really enjoyed it, but I am a little concerned about the health risks from this concentrated intake of fat. There is absolutely no risk of me becoming overweight (I can't put on weight even on three meals a day), but I see fat in my urine even six hours after the meal, which makes me wonder about the risk of gall stones, atherosclerosis, and so forth.

Feedback on what I'm eating is welcome, independent of the monks' diet. I know there's at least one medical doctor popping in here from time to time. emoticon
thumbnail
Ross A K, modified 12 Years ago at 3/28/12 11:20 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/28/12 11:17 AM

RE: Please describe the daily meal for a typical Thervadin monk

They eat very good emoticon I got to cook for monks quite a few times. Basically they eat what is offered. Although some will request vegitarian. Ive heard of some Thai monks that love cheese burgers emoticon.
The vinaya rule actually says no eating before dawn ( there is controversy over dawn emoticon ) and after mid day.
thumbnail
fivebells , modified 12 Years ago at 3/28/12 11:40 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/28/12 11:40 AM

Thanks for the info, Ross. So there's no typical pattern, it varies a lot from day to day?
thumbnail
Michael Hodder, modified 11 Years ago at 7/26/12 12:49 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 7/26/12 12:49 PM

Depends on where the monk is located and what the locals there have to eat. The bikkhu eats whatever's given him. Traditionally, all donations to the mendicants are pooled on return to the monastery. Since Theravadin monks are mostly found in Sri Lanka and SE Asia one might assume rice would be typically found in a monk's bowl. Anything else would be a crap shoot.
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 11 Years ago at 7/26/12 3:11 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 7/26/12 3:11 PM

I hear that these are quite the delicacy...

Breadcrumb