Adyashanti ebook

This Good Self, modified 12 Years ago at 4/5/12 12:11 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/4/12 11:59 PM

Adyashanti ebook

http://www.scribd.com/doc/52046936/Adyashanti-The-Impact-of-Awakening#download

He's at his best in this book, IMO. Brilliant teacher. The best!

See if you like this excerpt:

"Inherent in the impulse to be free, is insecurity. The impulse to be free comes from outside of the mind, and because of this, it makes the mind feel very insecure. Most spiritual seekers move away from this insecurity by seeking and striving for a distant spiritual goal. This is how they avoid feeling insecure, in an attempt not to directly face the Unknown - which is where the impulse to be free originates - the ego creates a spiritual seeker as a means to avoid it. It is a very intelligent play of the miond, a show, a fantasy".
thumbnail
Yadid dee, modified 12 Years ago at 4/6/12 6:19 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/6/12 3:43 AM

RE: Adyashanti ebook

Great excerpt.

I also like this essay by Daniel Ingram, which helps put that in perspective.
Why the notion you cannot become what you already are is such bullshit

An excerpt:
Why The Notion That You Cannot Become What You Already Are is Such Bullshit:
This notion encourages people to not practice. You can say what you like, but again and again I see people who subscribe to this and similar notions resting on their cleverness and grand posteriors and not actually getting it in the same way that my accomplished meditator friends get it. It seems so comforting, this notion that you are already something that you, in fact, are not. This brings us to the question of what you are and are not.

[...]

I have no idea where you are getting this bizarre notion, except that perhaps you are reading The Power of Now, following Adiashanti, or some other tradition that for reasons completely beyond me assumes that everyone already has the powers of perception of the rarest perceptual superstars.

I myself have known before and after, meaning that I know what I was capable of perceiving and understanding before I underwent meditative training and after, and no amount of being fed the concept that I was already as developed as I could be, was already enlightened, was already there, had nothing to do, nothing to develop, was already as clear as I could be, was already perfectly awake, etc. was going to make the difference that the thousands of hours over years of increasing my ability to perceive things clearly did.
thumbnail
Brian Eleven, modified 12 Years ago at 4/6/12 2:06 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/6/12 2:06 PM

C C C,

Thanks for the link. I completely agree with your opinion of Adyashanti. I look forward to reading this when I get a chance.

Yadid,

Thanks for sharing (part of)Daniels opinion.
Having read, and listened to some Adyshanti it's certainly true that he can be misunderstood. But that can be said about everyone.

Metta,

Brian.
This Good Self, modified 12 Years ago at 4/7/12 5:47 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/7/12 5:47 AM

I don't think that puts anything in perspective yadid, but I know you like to oppose everything I say. Part of your identity is to be the defender of everything "Dho".... like a loyal worker bee!

Adya explains so beautifully why sitting and watching the breath might shift your perception quite deeply, but will never get you enlightened. Without formal instruction, he shows what one might need to do (or cease doing) in order for Truth to realize itself in you. He is not a boring "you're already enlightened" style of teacher. His brilliance and incredible insight is reflected in a very deep silence that infuses every sentence. It's very gentle, a style that is far removed from the striving and straining of hardcore-ism. What is it that wants a technique to work on? The mind. What is it that creates complicated "stages of insight" as a way of avoiding facing the Great Void this moment? The mind.

I've read lots of spiritual books (old masters and new) and i am just flabbergasted how brilliant this guy is.
thumbnail
Yadid dee, modified 12 Years ago at 4/7/12 7:50 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/7/12 7:07 AM

C C C:
I don't think that puts anything in perspective yadid, but I know you like to oppose everything I say. Part of your identity is to be the defender of everything "Dho".... like a loyal worker bee!

Hi CCC,

I do not feel like a 'defender of the dho', nor do I oppose 'everything you say' (I recall recently reading a post of yours and agreeing with it), but I do like to share my thoughts and opinions from time to time (such as yourself I assume), and I did so in this instance as well.

Breadcrumb