Pa-Auk Sayadaw's Work and Books Written by his Students

James E P, modified 12 Years ago at 4/5/12 11:16 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/5/12 11:16 AM

Pa-Auk Sayadaw's Work and Books Written by his Students

Pa-Auk Sayadaw is one of the foremost meditation masters. He advocates a "wet approach" to the path, as contrasted by Mahashi, that uses a "dry insight" approach. Jhana development, elemental meditation, sublime abidings, corpse meditation, all the classics from the Visuddhimagga, which he based his process off of, which of course is summary of all methods taught by the Buddha, as presented in the Sutras.

Knowing and Seeing by the Sayadaw
http://www.visuddha-m-c.com/vmc%20sg/books%20doc/Pa%20Auk%20Sayadaw%20Books/14knowing_seeing_rv2003.pdf

Wisdom Wide and Deep by Shaila Catherine
http://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Wide-Deep-Practical-Mastering/dp/086171623X

Practicing the Jhanas by Stephen Snyder and Tina Rasmussen
http://www.amazon.com/Practicing-Jhanas-Traditional-Concentration-Meditation/dp/159030733X

The last two are written by students, Wisdom Wide and Deep is a comprehensive, well written guide based on the Sayadaw's teachings and methods and the latter has more of a Jhana focus with talks on Sublime Abidings and Elemental meditation.
thumbnail
Zyndo Zyhion, modified 12 Years ago at 4/6/12 7:25 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/6/12 7:25 AM

RE: Pa-Auk Sayadaw's Work and Books Written by his Students

He is also of the school that the wet approach is the only approach, (doesn't mean he's not attain just that his dogmatic) and for the wet approach, he take it one step further. Saying that you need to master all the Samatha Kammathana and each to the highest lvl of jhana that that object can be attianed too, i.e. metta can only go to third jhana. I might go to hell before all that happens- not to meantion i better be good at concentration practice.

Forty meditation subjects
kasina: (1) earth, (2) water, (3) fire, (4) air, wind, (5) blue, green, (6) yellow, (7) red, (8) white, (9) enclosed space, (10) bright light.
(asubha)emoticon1) swollen corpse, (2) discolored, bluish, corpse, (3) festering corpse, (4) fissured corpse, (5) gnawed corpse, (6,7) dismembered, or hacked and scattered, corpse, (8) bleeding corpse, (9) worm-eaten corpse, (10) skeleton.
Ten are recollections (anussati):
First three recollections are of the virtues of the Three Jewels:
(1) Buddha
(2) Dharma
(3) Sangha
Next three are recollections of the virtues of:
(4) morality (Śīla)
(5) liberality (cāga)
(6) the wholesome attributes of Devas
Recollections of:
(7) the body (kāya)
(8) death (see Upajjhatthana Sutta)
(9) the breath (prāna) or breathing (ānāpāna)
(10) peace (see Nibbana).
Four are stations of Brahma (Brahma-vihara):
(1) unconditional kindness (mettā)
(2) compassion (karuna)
(3) sympathetic joy over another's success (mudita)
(4) evenmindedness, equanimity (upekkha)
Four are formless states (four arūpajhānas):
(1) infinite space
(2) infinite consciousness
(3) infinite nothingness
(4) neither perception nor non-perception.
One is of perception of disgust of food (aharepatikulasanna).
The last is analysis of the four elements (catudhatuvavatthana): earth (pathavi), water (apo), fire (tejo), air (vayo).
[edit]
thumbnail
Zyndo Zyhion, modified 12 Years ago at 4/6/12 7:39 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/6/12 7:39 AM

http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books/Maha_Boowa_Wisdom_Develops_Samadhi.htm

This book is called wisdom develops samadhi its by Maha Boowa its good its from the Samatha Yanika Tradition.

Also here are the two best books I came across on the topic of jhana because Pa-Auk's teachings on Jhana are badly explained compared to more modern open writings and he's even worse on the topic of investigation, 'The Attention Revolution' by Alan Wallace, and 'Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond' by the talented but dogmatic teacher Ajahn Brahm, this book gets an intro by Kornflied, were he says its really good but close minded, but boy did I learn a lot about jhanas from it. Neem

P.S. I must contest I only read one book by Pa-Auk and didn't finish it cause it was so bad, and when i gave my analysis which was simpler to the points stated above, to a Scholar, the person who had given me the book, Bikkhu Anandajoti. He said I was pretty much on to it.

I like some of Anandajoti's translations of early buddhist scripture and he was cool even though he was a Samatha Yanika. I hope I didn't bore him to much with my naive questions.

Neem
James E P, modified 12 Years ago at 4/11/12 3:36 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/11/12 3:36 PM

Thanks for the reference I will check it out.

I can say, his approach is wet, but he writes that one can reach it dry too.

Knowing and seeing is the only book by the Sayadaw I read, it was based on a talk, but his students are very passionate about their teacher and his methods. Shaila Catherine's book is probably the most comprehensive, both books talk very clearly about Jhana. I know the mastery approach may seem a bit much, basically do a 2 hour sit for for Anapanisati for each Jhana to master, come out after at least 2 hours; you've mastered the Jhana.... then you move onto all 8. Then repeat up to the 4th for all Kasinas, and on from there.

Breadcrumb