Humor

thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 11 Years ago at 4/5/12 12:36 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/5/12 12:26 PM

Humor

Two things:

1) There is a new category: Humor, where you can post things that are funny related to this stuff.

2) Something I think is funny...

The "Story"...

So, we all know that insight can strike at any time, and we all know that we will likely be asked to tell The Story, particularly if you have some sort of public persona, which for better or worse I do, and the problem with this is that we all have parts of our lives that would make a great story, and parts of our lives that, well, wouldn't necessarily make as good a story...

For instance, I got stream entry sitting at the Thai Monastery in Bodh Gaya, India, which just happens to make a great story, it has historical and cultural resonance and somehow has given some weird and artificial "cred" when it actually doesn't matter at all where it happened.

However, I have had some PCEs recently that came on during other activities, such as one over the Holiday season when I was listening to the Backstreet Boys' Christmas Time (just happened to be on Sirius Satellite radio playing on their Christmas station (note the prompt disclaimer that I do NOT own that album!), as I generally like Christmas music), and each time a PCE has hit in circumstances like this, I have thought, "Wow, maybe this is AF!" followed shortly by the thought, "Holy shit, what if I just got it listening to the Backstreet Boys! Oh, no, Mister Bill! That does NOT make a great story!"

So, the reason I am posting this here, is something very PCE-heavy just happened while watching the following:

youtube video

which features Phil X, who is hilarious, in a totally baked Rock and Roll Dude sort of Bill and Ted/Fast Times at Ridgemont High sort of way, and then this really clear, clean, seemingly stable, nice thing happened, which is still going on BTW as I write this, and again came the same thoughts, "Wow, maybe this is AF!" followed shortly by the thought, "Holy shit, I may have just gotten it listening to this totally baked dude's youtube video!", followed by the thought, "Is that a good story?".

Now, it is interesting that I am certain that the Backstreet Boys' Christmas music does NOT make for a good story except in the worst sort of way, but why I have questions about how potentially hilarious it is that something just may have happened listening to Phil X is unclear to me, but given that his references are so totally my generation and his way of speaking just completely reminds me of a good number of baked musicians I used to hang out with back in the day, he has some cultural resonance with a completely different part of myself, the part that watched Van Halen videos on MTV back when they played such things, the part of me that appreciated the cultural references in Hardcore Zen.

Anyway, just a great example of the neurotic thoughts we can have around this stuff, and a reminder that, as Insight can strike at any time, consider what you spend your time doing, as that may just end up as part of your STORY, which, as we all know, is REALLY IMPORTANT! ;)

Daniel X
"Party on, Dudes!"
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 11 Years ago at 4/5/12 12:48 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/5/12 12:48 PM

RE: Humor

Just to add one thing: I am NOT claiming AF, as I have had probably a hundred or more things like this and none panned out, so this one is unlikely to either, but it still makes a funny story.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 11 Years ago at 4/5/12 1:14 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/5/12 1:14 PM

Oh, yeah, this has been posted before, but it is so hilarious that I just thought I would do it again:

Sickest Buddhist by Arj Barker
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 11 Years ago at 4/5/12 2:13 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/5/12 2:13 PM

I think some of these have been posted before but they're pretty funny...

---

A monk goes to a hot dog vendor. The hot dog man asks him what he'd like. The monk says, "make me one with everything." badum-KAH

The hot dog man fashions the hot dog and hands it to him. "That'll be $1.50." The monk hands him two one-dollar bills, and waits expectantly, but the hot dog man acts as if the transaction is over. "Where's my change?" asks the monk. The hot dog man replies, "change comes from within." badum-KAH

---

Why did the Buddhist coroner get fired? He always listed the cause of death as 'birth'.
thumbnail
Steph S, modified 11 Years ago at 4/5/12 2:54 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/5/12 2:50 PM

backstreet boys... priceless. did you catch their concert with new kids on the block, dan? hahaha

i have often thought a big thing would happen while i'm driving in the car listening to music cuz i have had tons of really good insights while driving, listening to music.

it'd be great if some massive shift happened during a david bowie track! i suspect he might be some multi-dimensional palpable life force. or possibly an alien (the man who fell to earth, true?)

will post some humor later. i'm really jazzed about the addition of this section.
Felipe C, modified 11 Years ago at 4/5/12 2:58 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/5/12 2:55 PM

The Heart Sutra in pop, hardcore, ballad and metal versions.

EDIT. Ballad version was unfortunately removed.
T DC, modified 11 Years ago at 4/19/12 7:21 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/19/12 7:21 PM

Ha, this humor section was a good idea.

My friend told me a good Buddhist joke..

So a monk is walking along one day, being mindful, when he comes upon a woman. She calls to him, "Hey, come drink this wine with me!". The monk replies that he has taken vows against intoxicants and so cannot. The woman says, "Come help me kill my goat then!". The monk replies that he also cannot do that, having taken a vow not to kill. The woman says, "Well, come have sex with me then!" The monk replies he cannot do that either, having taken a vow of celibacy. Fed up, the woman says to him, "If you don't do one of the three things I have asked, then I will kill myself." The monk takes a moment to consider, and decides the least harmful thing to do would be to drink the alcohol, as it harms only himself. The monk drinks the alcohol, and then becomes so unmindful that he has sex with the woman, and kills her goat.
thumbnail
Daniel Johnson, modified 11 Years ago at 4/19/12 11:02 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/19/12 11:02 PM

Now, if you had been listening to the Backstreet Boys under the Bodhi tree in Bodh Gaya... major "cred."
thumbnail
Alvaro MDF, modified 11 Years ago at 4/20/12 3:47 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/20/12 3:45 AM

Daniel M. Ingram:
Oh, no, Mister Bill!"

If there are more than 10 people on the DhO who appreciate that reference I will be amazed!

Garrett E, modified 11 Years ago at 5/20/12 10:43 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 5/20/12 10:43 PM

Stuart Davis on Zen:

Watched this a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juElohSYUiM
thumbnail
Jane Laurel Carrington, modified 11 Years ago at 5/21/12 10:09 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 5/21/12 10:09 AM

Alvaro MDF:
Daniel M. Ingram:
Oh, no, Mister Bill!"

If there are more than 10 people on the DhO who appreciate that reference I will be amazed!

Okay, I'm busted: I'm old enough.
Brother Pussycat, modified 11 Years ago at 6/14/12 4:24 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 6/14/12 4:24 AM

This morning the moment I started a bag of hot chilli chips my third eye started acting up emoticon
Brother Pussycat, modified 11 Years ago at 7/19/12 9:25 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 7/19/12 9:25 AM

Brother Pussycat:
This morning the moment I started a bag of hot chilli chips my third eye started acting up emoticon

And now it's the crown chakra, same type of chips! I'm baffled why the Suttas don't mention this...

(Seriously, while the energetic phenomena must be the result of my practice, they do get stronger when I eat those chips).
thumbnail
Lee G Moore, modified 11 Years ago at 7/24/12 11:05 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 7/24/12 11:05 PM

I remember close to stream entry on retreat, several times having particularly mindful bowel movements with the occasional stray thought "as much as I want to hit path, I hope it's not now. I'll seriously have to gloss over the story".