Sayadaw U Vivekananda (Mahasi lineage)

thumbnail
Yadid dee, modified 11 Years ago at 4/29/12 5:20 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/29/12 5:16 AM

Sayadaw U Vivekananda (Mahasi lineage)

So I just sat a 9-day retreat with this monk, who is a very pleasant German man, has been practicing for over 30 years now, has practiced with Bill Hamilton in Burma, and is a direct student of Sayadaw U Pandita, having spent many years training with and interpreting for him.
He is the abbot of the Panditarama meditation center in Lumbini, Nepal, birth place of the Buddha.

The man seems extremely skilled in the practice and the insight stages, asking very detailed questions about very subtle phenomena in one's meditation, during interviews, comes up with a diagnosis of a nyana (and implies this, but does not say directly like 'This is Fear'), and gives one some pointers that are helpful in that stage to help it mature.

He seems to have taken his approach to a more soft one rather than the rigidity of the Burmese monks and U Pandita in particular.

His advice is sound, helpful, and his presence is very calming.

One friend of mine recently concluded a 70-day retreat with him in Lumbini, and another friend has done over a year and more of practice under him there, going through first path, fruition practice and second path with him - he seems to be very thorough in his approach.

To conclude, I would highly reccommend him as a teacher for those interested in the Mahasi lineage, in particular those who like the maps, while having a teacher who is extremely (to say the least) skilled in them, therefore he snaps one out of any delusions in regards to stages which are unfounded, and brings one back again and again to the practice.

Breadcrumb