Please point me in the right direction

Tim Lamar Marshall, modified 11 Years ago at 4/30/12 12:42 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/30/12 12:42 AM

Please point me in the right direction

Hi, all

I'm new here. Out of desperation, I went looking for help and found this board. Maybe you can help?

I have been meditating on and off for four years. I would stop meditating out of frustration, then take it up again to try some new technique. All of my training was Zen. I don't think there is any maps in zen. They're all about, "just sit." It was good for a time. It helped me for a time, especially with controlling emotions. I think I'm ready for something more. I have read some of the post here and am excited that there is a way for me to track my progress (map(s)).

Would someone please refer me to a book or a teacher ( in or near Long Beach, Calif.)? Your help is very appreciated.
thumbnail
wacky jacky, modified 11 Years ago at 4/30/12 2:26 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/30/12 2:25 AM

RE: Please point me in the right direction

Hi Tim. A great book to read is Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha (referred to as MCTB on this website) written by Daniel Ingram. He is the guy who set up this website. It's available as a free down-load here

http://www.interactivebuddha.com/mctb.shtml

On the above webpage is also a short instruction sheet for insight meditation which you'd probably find extremely helpful.

You can ask buy also the book on amazon, or you can read it part by part from the wiki page on this website. (just click on the "wiki" tab at the top of this webpage).

Good luck. Jacki.
thumbnail
Michael Cannon, modified 11 Years ago at 5/20/12 4:57 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 5/20/12 4:57 PM

Hello Tim,

Sorry, I don't have any answers. Just wanted to say I'm also new here and have struggled with the same things along the same time line and with the same practices. I'm not sure how often people go back to check their thread but in case you do, I'd be curious to see if you were interested in mentioning what your frustrations were, how long your stretches were before relenting and if you're switching from Zen all together. Were you just doing shikantaza or some concentrative stuff?

Well good luck. It is refreshing to see a community (virtual as it may be) that doesn't double-speak its way around the fact that we're all doing this to gain verifiable benefits. I hope your efforts go well and that you'll share any progress.

Thanks,
Mike
thumbnail
fivebells , modified 11 Years ago at 5/20/12 8:53 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 5/20/12 8:53 PM

Ken McLeod, who I think of as my teacher, is in LA. Website. Book. Tracking progress in meditation with a list of criteria is not his thing. But I can vouch for him as an excellent guide, particularly with regard to meditation in the midst of emotional reactions (see for instance his retreat talks on Five Elements / Five Dakinis.)
thumbnail
Luke Avedon, modified 11 Years ago at 7/1/12 7:54 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 7/1/12 7:54 PM

Tim,

I'm going through the same thing---started with Zen as well. I'm in your area as well--so if you find something great please let me know.
thumbnail
fivebells , modified 11 Years ago at 7/1/12 8:08 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 7/1/12 8:08 PM

BTW, turns out Ken is leaving LA for an indefinite time, I think at the end of the month.

Breadcrumb